Subject: First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I finally got to play Titan against humans! I had been playing it on my iPad and was hungry for a game against my friends. Four of us played and it wound up being a 6 hour affair, but we all agreed it was fun (even my friend Steve who got taken out early by me).

Barry and I were doing quite well with mustering while Cody seemed to be stuck on the outer rim and wasn't able to build his legions. However, I realized that he could become a serious thorn in my side, so I moved a legion in to attack him. I knew I would lose in hopes of weakening his legion so one of my stronger ones could come down and finish the job. It worked and I took out his Titan.

So, for quite some time, Barry and I moved around the board without engaging each other. I finally got tired of this and decided to attack him. The legion I attacked with contained my Titan. I won the engagement but my legion was reduced to my Titan and a Centaur. And, to make matters, worse, one of Barry's legions was blocking the way so my Titan legion couldn't move without attacking.

Barry decided to attack on of my legions to position himself so he could attack my Titan legion on a subsequent turn. That tactic worked and he took out my legion. Two turns later, he won the game.

Although we all liked the game, the other guys felt the movement system was too random. They didn't like not having complete control over where their legions moved. I tried to explain to them that with they way the muster rules are designed, being able to move any where you wanted wouldn't make the game much fun!

We did a few things wrong (typical of a first game). I had forgotten about Angel summoning during combat for the attacker until about half way through the game. We decided to leave it out. We also did creature elimination wrong in combat. We eliminated a defeated creature immediately instead of at the end of the combat phase. And we did carryover damage a little wrong - we allowed for damaging creatures that needed a higher attack value if the dice rolled were high enough. And finally, we did mustering wrong. We were mustering the first creature of the terrain we landed on instead of making sure we had the correct creatures in our legions.

But, overall, we had a good time with it and I'm looking forward to my next game, correcting what we did wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lot of important things you did wrong. Not trying to be insulting at all as Titan can be a very fiddly game. However, I think you will find a much different experience when you play these rules correctly. The mustering in particular becomes a much more crucial part of the game when you have to keep track of which creatures can recruit which other creatures.

This is a very fun game, but overall I think I prefer the digital version precisely because it takes care of all these rules (plus terrain movement/combat rules) for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah those are some serious rules mistakes! Glad you enjoyed it anyway, but the version you played was probably so different from actual Titan as to be nearly unrecognizable. Let us know how it goes when you play it with the real rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about the rules mistakes because I don't see how they would intrinsically alter the balance in one player's favor. I think playing tighter mustering rules will make successful mustering feel more rewarding, though.

Do your friends enjoy Robo Rally? I don't see the Titan movement being more restrictive than RR's programming cards. It's the restrictions that make it challenging and interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The carryover damage mistake didn't affect things too much. I wonder how combat would have been different, however, if we did the Angels and creature elimination correctly. I suspect that the guy who got knocked out early would have been in it longer!

I think the muster error was probably the biggest mistake we made. As we played it, the mustering became a bit unruly. I realized our mistake the next day when I was playing it on my iPad and couldn't muster when moving into a terrain.

I know I'll be playing it again for sure in March when I go to Block Party in New Albany, IN. I'm looking forward to playing against the guy I bought it from last year! If I play against my other group of friends before then I'll let everyone know how it went playing it right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoning angels is a big benefit to the attacker, so it tends to speed up the game. People complain that Titan is a long game, but it isn't really so long once people know how to be aggressive effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.