Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I finally got to play Letters From Whitechapel and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's fetching a rather high price. I understand there may be an eventual reprint, but in the meantime...

Are there any games that feature the same type of deduction mechanisms and tension as LFW for two players? We've looked at the Mr Jack series and we have Mr Jack Pocket; the full Mr Jack games just don't have the same appeal as LFW. LFW has us looking for clues, trying to track down Jack based on evidence discovered; Mr Jack has the whole "Can I see you know?" mechanic. We're much more in favor of the former than the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Scotland Yard is rather an obvious choice as LFWC were heavily based on this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried it with two, but Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space might be worth a look. What about Nuns on the Run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Letters from Whitechapel, you might like Scotland Yard or one of the games listed as similar or re-implementations of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Garibaldi: La Trafila
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Scotland Yard, Nuns on the Run and Fury of Dracula (second edition) spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a little odd but Code 777 is a really nice deduction game. Very simple rules and while there is no theme (just guess the numbers on your rack) the gameplay and the tension is very nice. Plays well with 2 and scales upto 4 really well, though 5 people can play.

In a small way Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper is a small game that is fun!

Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War- This is one game that I'm eyeing very closely specially after Stronghold games superb reprint. One of the best 2P deduction game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one before. Thanks for the pointer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd second Fury of Dracula. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
For a slightly different take, how about Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan?

Hidden movement but the hidden player is trying to break in and then escape, rather than just escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions, I've looked at Ninja, Scotland Yard (and Mister X and New York Chase), Garibaldi, and others suggested.

I think I find Whitechapel to just be a little bit more appealing than anything I've found yet, but Garibaldi looks pretty good. A lot of the others just look a little bit too cartoon-ish. I'm picking up the original The Fury of Dracula later today, and I'll definitely have my eye on the hopefully autumn Whitechapel printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.