Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd that its a ‘rights’ group that against the idea. This seems less of a slippery slope and more of a back door. Especially as welfare spending is being cut, to an extent that some Greeks are having to give their children up http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/28/greek-economic-c..., so one has to ask why is it that those who need payments are having it cut, while those that don’t are having it raised? One has to ask what is really going on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a very transparent trick to get all the pedophiles, kleptomaniacs, and peeping toms to sign up. Once identified, they'll all be chucked into the Labyrinth to face the Minotaur's wrath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1) Wat

2) What has the Eurozone to do with this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
It's just a very transparent trick to get all the pedophiles, kleptomaniacs, and peeping toms to sign up. Once identified, they'll all be chucked into the Labyrinth to face the Minotaur's wrath.

You have to admit, if that was the plan it's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisterCranky wrote:
It's just a very transparent trick to get all the pedophiles, kleptomaniacs, and peeping toms to sign up. Once identified, they'll all be [hit in the head with a long stick and left to die in a well]

This would be so weirdly Mediterranean that it could actually be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
1) Wat

It represents one of the main reasons that Greece is in the mess it is, Cowboy economics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me of that old joke: "How do you separate the Cowmen from the Cowboys in the Greek Navy?" "With a Minotaur!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Church angrily denies accusations it doesn't pay its fair share. 'This is a lie. We pay more land tax than ordinary businesses and we pay 20 percent of our rental income in tax,' said Father Timotheos, the Greek Church's Holy Synod spokesman."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/15/us-greece-church-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
"The Church angrily denies accusations it doesn't pay its fair share. 'This is a lie. We pay more land tax than ordinary businesses and we pay 20 percent of our rental income in tax,' said Father Timotheos, the Greek Church's Holy Synod spokesman."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/15/us-greece-church-i...

Which is more then most Greeks pay. But as they refuse to be audited one has to say, if you have nothing to hide why hide it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I don't ever want to hear anyone say that the "slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy anymore after seeing this bit of disgusting news out of bankrupt Greece.

Quote:
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Greek disability groups expressed anger Monday at a government decision to expand a list of state-recognized disability categories to include pedophiles, exhibitionists and kleptomaniacs.

The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants.

The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list - that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists - were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance.

And...

Quote:
The new list gives pyromaniacs and pedophiles disability pay up to 35 percent, compared to 80 percent for heart transplant recipients.

"It's really not serious to grant Peeping Toms a 20-30 percent disability rate, and 10 percent to diabetics, who have insulin shots four or five times a day," said Vardakastanis.

I wonder why the rest of the Eurozone had reservations about bailing them out.

This is a ridiculous post. I have to look into it further, but from the comment from the labour ministry, it appears that the classification had to be made for bureaucratic reasons for the sake of getting medical assessments done.

In the case of pedophiles this is presumably part of a criminal trial, or for providing benefit to those who have been released but require ongoing medical observation and counselling. Nothing about this seems scandalous. Not sure why you would feel the need to pound your fist over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
I don't ever want to hear anyone say that the "slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy anymore after seeing this bit of disgusting news out of bankrupt Greece.

Quote:
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Greek disability groups expressed anger Monday at a government decision to expand a list of state-recognized disability categories to include pedophiles, exhibitionists and kleptomaniacs.

The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants.

The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list - that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists - were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance.

And...

Quote:
The new list gives pyromaniacs and pedophiles disability pay up to 35 percent, compared to 80 percent for heart transplant recipients.

"It's really not serious to grant Peeping Toms a 20-30 percent disability rate, and 10 percent to diabetics, who have insulin shots four or five times a day," said Vardakastanis.

This is a ridiculous post. I have to look into it further, but from the comment from the labour ministry, it appears that the classification had to be made for bureaucratic reasons for the sake of getting medical assessments done.

In the case of pedophiles this is presumably part of a criminal trial, or for providing benefit to those who have been released but require ongoing medical observation and counselling. Nothing about this seems scandalous. Not sure why you would feel the need to pound your fist over it.

The hews story (which of course being a news story might not be reliable) says they are getting disability pay, how is that a bureaucratic reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the bbc's (slightly less alarmist) take on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16486416

Note, in particular, they are neither getting disability pay, nor (at least, according to the responsible Ministry) does it signify that they are entitled to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Here's the bbc's (slightly less alarmist) take on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16486416

Note, in particular, they are neither getting disability pay, nor (at least, according to the responsible Ministry) does it signify that they are entitled to it.

AHH, so in fact it is a back door cost cutting meassure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

And...

Quote:

The hews story (which of course being a news story might not be reliable) says they are getting disability pay, how is that a bureaucratic reason?

No, it didn't say that. It said technically they could qualify. That's all. There was no mention anywhere of a pedophile actually getting a disability cheque.

This is the second time today I've had to correct your reading. One more and you owe me some GG.

What it DID say, is that this is required to get medical assessments performed for the sake of allocating financial assistance. In other words, a convicted pedophile needs financial assistance in order to get ongoing counselling so he can stop diddling little boys. The government needs him to be classified as "disabled" (for whatever bureaucratic reason) in order to provide assistance for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
How dare you deflate my cheap jabs with some goddamn facts.

Yeah, I was trying to riff off of your joke, but it turned out to seem like some sort of actual contribution because I linked to Reuters. I am ashamed.

Still, that name--Father Timotheos--that was pretty funny! Also, nobody liked the Cowmen thing so I had to switch gears a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty such people in the UK who are getting benefits thrown at them. My GP colleagues call them 'the unemployable', folk who don't have any distinct actual definite illness (other than vague things like 'backache', 'personality disorder', 'mild depression', 'diagnosis du jour', 'work avoidance' etc but who manage to present their case of plumbum oscillans (swinging the lead) effectively enough to get benefits.

I recently saw a chap who would meet diagnostic criteria for a diagnosis of 'paranoid personality disorder'- I would never want to work with him, but he can work, preferably in a job that doesn't involve any interaction with other humans at all so that he can't misinterpret their actions etc as being against him. Personally not entirely sure what is gained by 'diagnosing' him with a medical label (paranoid personality disorder) when 'lazy, work avoidant, unpleasant person' is probably more descriptive and captures the essence of his personality. I strongly suspect I'll have a DLA application form on my work doorstep next week as he'll have hotfooted it down to the Department for work and pensions to tell them of his 'disability'. He'll be on benefits before April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

And...

Quote:

No, it didn't say that. It said technically they could qualify. That's all. There was no mention anywhere of a pedophile actually getting a disability cheque.

This is the second time today I've had to correct your reading. One more and you owe me some GG.

What it DID say, is that this is required to get medical assessments performed for the sake of allocating financial assistance. In other words, a convicted pedophile needs financial assistance in order to get ongoing counselling so he can stop diddling little boys. The government needs him to be classified as "disabled" (for whatever bureaucratic reason) in order to provide assistance for this.

The articel does not say that, if it does can we have a quote please? All I can find is "The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list - that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists - were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance." it says nothing about ongoing counselling, just financial assistance with no clairification of what that means. I would also point out that articel also says "The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants." so in fact it does say disability pay. You might have been thinking of the BBC articel which makes it clear the articel in the OP is a bit sensationalist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommcphee wrote:
There are plenty such people in the UK who are getting benefits thrown at them. My GP colleagues call them 'the unemployable', folk who don't have any distinct actual definite illness (other than vague things like 'backache', 'personality disorder', 'mild depression', 'diagnosis du jour', 'work avoidance' etc but who manage to present their case of plumbum oscillans (swinging the lead) effectively enough to get benefits.

I recently saw a chap who would meet diagnostic criteria for a diagnosis of 'paranoid personality disorder'- I would never want to work with him, but he can work, preferably in a job that doesn't involve any interaction with other humans at all so that he can't misinterpret their actions etc as being against him. Personally not entirely sure what is gained by 'diagnosing' him with a medical label (paranoid personality disorder) when 'lazy, work avoidant, unpleasant person' is probably more descriptive and captures the essence of his personality. I strongly suspect I'll have a DLA application form on my work doorstep next week as he'll have hotfooted it down to the Department for work and pensions to tell them of his 'disability'. He'll be on benefits before April.

Excalty how many jobs have zero contact with other people? Also if you don't want to work with him why should any one else? and if no one wants to work with him he is (excepting this vast store of jobs that involve no contact with anyone else) unemployable (through not fault of his own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

And...

Quote:

The articel does not say that, if it does can we have a quote please? All I can find is "The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list - that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists - were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance." it says nothing about ongoing counselling, just financial assistance with no clairification of what that means. I would also point out that articel also says "The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants." so in fact it does say disability pay.

Oh Jesus H. Christ dude. A 3rd party claims that. Nowhere in the article anywhere, is there a government official saying that Pedophiles now have a right to disability pay. NO ONE HAS GOTTEN A CHEQUE. Congrats that the words "disability pay" appear in the article. I suppose that allows you to feel some level of vindication.

You're right, I'm taking a stab at the part about counselling etc. But I said as much in my original response, which you've conveniently ignored.

But to be clear:

NO ONE HAS GOTTEN, OR IS GOING TO GET A CHEQUE BECAUSE THEY SCREW CHILDREN.

This article is fodder for stupid people to chew on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

And...

Quote:

The articel does not say that, if it does can we have a quote please? All I can find is "The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list - that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists - were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance." it says nothing about ongoing counselling, just financial assistance with no clairification of what that means. I would also point out that articel also says "The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants." so in fact it does say disability pay.

Oh Jesus H. Christ dude. A 3rd party claims that. Nowhere in the article anywhere, is there a government official saying that Pedophiles now have a right to disability pay. NO ONE HAS GOTTEN A CHEQUE. Congrats that the words "disability pay" appear in the article. I suppose that allows you to feel some level of vindication.

But to be clear:

First point I said "the news story" not the government, you said that the news story did not say it, it did. It does not matter who the news story was quoting, you stated that I had read the story wrong, and I had not. As you admit the articel says what I had said it did.

Secondly I have not said that anyone has recived a cheque at any point (or that they will), indead (you will note) I said "which of course being a news story might not be reliable". Also I added to my last reply to you "You might have been thinking of the BBC articel which makes it clear the articel in the OP is a bit sensationalist.", I assume that you replied before I had added this. Thus I do not make any claim that what the articel says is true. Only that the arcitle said (or perhaps I should have said quoted to avoid any confusion) said X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

And...

Quote:

But to be clear:

First point I said "the news story" not the government, you said that the news story did not say it, it did. It does not matter who the news story was quoting, you stated that I had read the story wrong, and I had not. As you admit the articel says what I had said it did.

Secondly I have not said that anyone has recived a cheque at any point, indead (you will note) I said "which of course being a news story might not be reliable".

Steven, one last time here. I want you to read back through the quotes. And when you're done, you now owe me some GG for wasting my time, and hurting my brain.

Ok. You said, and I quote "...the news story says THEY ARE GETTING DISABILITY PAY".

To which I responded no, it says they would merely QUALIFY FOR IT, not that they are ACTUALLY GETTING IT.

The news story did not say they are getting anything. Ever. It didn't. It pointed out they would qualify for it. There is a huge difference. Qualifying for, and receiving are not the same.

Also, they will not receive anything, as the reasons for doing what they did were stated thusly, and some dumb ass somewhere decided to make a news story about it for idiots to argue over. I'm sure this will be all over talk radio shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Excalty how many jobs have zero contact with other people? Also if you don't want to work with him why should any one else? and if no one wants to work with him he is (excepting this vast store of jobs that involve no contact with anyone else) unemployable (through not fault of his own).

The last bit is the problem. "through no fault of his own", is it through no fault of my own that I have reined in my more base desire to act like a grumpy bugger and would rather stay at home all day living off the state, and have suppressed this using my own determination to succeed? The mere label of a mental disorder, especially one as vague and Ill defined as personality disorder should not absolve one of personal responsibility for ones actions and behaviours. Or do I suffer from "increased sense of own personal responsibility for my own behaviour and welfare" disorder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:

... and some dumb ass somewhere decided to make a news story about it for idiots to argue over.

Some very prescient dumb ass, it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaren
United States
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
1) Wat

Didn't most of the continent recently capitulate to demands that their books are not controlled sovereignly but subject to German French EU scrutiny? Now that someone has finally conquered the continent, every financial matter is potentially a Eurozone matter, one would think... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommcphee wrote:

And where does this fellow stand on Scottish independence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.