Subject: AAAARRRGGGHH!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where, for the love of all that is holy, can I find a dish towel that actually absorbs water, rather than one full of plastic or artificial fabrics that merely push any water around without sucking any of it up?!!!
What possible good is a cloth whose intended use is to dry a wet plate or a wet glass, and fails to do its only function?

I repeat, AAAARRRGGGHH!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've noticed that "dish towels" do a real shitty job. Whenever I have to dry a bunch of dishes, I get a regular hand towel you'd put in the bathroom. They work so much better than what's marketed as "dish towels."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a pirate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, bath towels and hand towels are getting almost as bad.
I think that "the industry" wants everything they make to be color-fast, so their products won't fade. But looking good shouldn't take precedence over working well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Are you a pirate?
AARRR! Aye, and my dish cloths all have holes in 'em. On account o' my hook, and all! AAARRR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Our grocery store sells stacks of them cheap. All cotton.

They look like crap but I don't really care.

Some all-cotton towels will be treated with some sort of sizing that is chemical/ plastic. You can remove it with a good washing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a 10-pack of terrycloth "work rags" from somewhere like Home Depot or Menards (is that too local, I wonder?) for cheap. They soak up water like dry sponges, dry nicely, and when they get all shabby, I don't feel too bad relegating them to floor scrubbing or bathtub scouring duty. They do occasionally leave fuzzies on the dishes if I don't wash them once before I use them to dry the dishes, but they're pretty spiffy otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
You know, bath towels and hand towels are getting almost as bad.

The last batch of bath towels we bought were like this. You would just be pushing water around. It took a couple of washes before they came right.

Never had a problem with dish towels because we just leave our plates and stuff in the rack until they are dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use fabric softeners? Fabric softeners reduce absorbency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The particular towel that I attempted to use this afternoon had been washed twice a month, for over a year now, with fabric softners each time.
The AAARRRRGGGHHH has been building for some time now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The most absorbent and pleasant-to-use kitchen towels we have happen to be ones whose origins I'm not sure of. One of them, for example, came to me holding a loaf of fresh-baked bread that someone gave me. I never got around to returning the towel after the bread was gone. Another one was left in my house when I moved in.
The "flour sack" towels are cotton, so don't just push water, but they're not thick enough to do the job. They need to take the same amount of material, and make a thicker, smaller towel. Then it would be a good towel for kitchen use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have given up. Stuff air dries on the counter. Only way to get it dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
But looking good shouldn't take precedence over working well.

You clearly are not in marketing right? Looking good is the only thing that matters.... For them. which also means possibly for the company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
The towels I have that work the best are the old linen ones I have. You have to wash them in hot water & dry them a few times to get the coating off the linen, but they great.

Mostly we let things dry on a towel next to the sink now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed, as the resident (manual) dish-doer of my household, that the stringier a thing is, the more likely it is to absorb water. I don't mean threadbare, but you know...like terrycloth, those little loops of thread. They hold water fantastically.

Most of the towels I have that do not hold water are printed in some fashion, whether with a picture or pattern.

Things that are loosely woven work as well.

The way I figure it, the water needs some holes to go into...like the holes in a sponge. Even paper towels follow this principle, if you consider the fibers that mesh into their making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
That has been my experience also Paul, and I'm talking as the main guy who did the dishes on when I lived with 9 other house mates. Plain and "fluffy" wool cloth is by far the best for it. Even with towels. For example, Aline and I got as a gift a pair of Disney towels (mickey, minnie). Beautiful, with an embroidered face of each on bottom. But they are two thin, and as you said with no holes. So they simply do not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Where, for the love of all that is holy, can I find a dish towel that actually absorbs water, rather than one full of plastic or artificial fabrics that merely push any water around without sucking any of it up?!!!
What possible good is a cloth whose intended use is to dry a wet plate or a wet glass, and fails to do its only function?

I repeat, AAAARRRGGGHH!!!!

Go to Canadian Tire and buy a bundle of those cloths intended to wipe your car with. They suck up water like nobody's business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some waffle-weave ones that are the best for drying. Standard colour-and-white chequered thin cottons ones are OK after a few times through the wash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.