Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corporal Janus is an extremely straightforward and uncomplicated individual, yet he remains one of our all-time favorite and most valued characters in the entire game!

Why do we rate the Bug Hunter so highly? First of all because he has excellent stats. Aside from Blue Point, Blue Throw and Red Penetration, he has solid Green in everything, including Armor! That makes him a more than competent adventurer in any Labyrinth, but especially in the Future Labyrinth! Send him there as often as possible so he can obtain the equipment he requires.

Second, we enjoy the combat aspect of the game and with his ratings the Corporal is definitely a front-line soldier. He's also especially skilled in slaying the characters from the overall most threatening era: the Future. Corporal Janus receives a plus one to hit and a plus two on damage for all attacks he makes on Future character and on Creatures of any era! He even has a plus one when using grenades, so he effectively has Green Throw with those weapons.

Which brings us to our third and most important point. If you read Corproal Janus' story snippet on the DoA website, you'll see that he used his cleverness, ingenuity and the materials at hand to triumph over his opponents. In an exceedingly bizzare and long-running coincidence, this characterization has actually played out in most of our games with the Bug Hunter; he's absolutely legendary for getting what he needs to take down his opponents.

In our first game with him he got the Ak-47 and slew Suva with one shot. The second time he showed up he got a single card from a challenge and was dismissed to the vicinity of Thotus. Though afraid of a long-ranged weapon, I maneuvered safely around to behind a Mesa. When Corporal Janus charged me I was actually happy; I was willing to risk Thotus' life on a mind-control shot against Green Wits. That's when I learned that the card Janus had recieved from the challenge, out of all those possible, was the freaking Helm of Poloneus, the one piece of equipment which makes the bearer immune to Mental Abilities! That's when my brother and I first realized something strange was going on.

When Corproal Janus was going against GRASP and Xecctyl, he pulled out the Redlined Megablister Cannon as one of his first cards!

Then there was the only time he's ended up opposing the Bladed Terror. First he was attacked by Ironhead McCray, who inflicted two Health damage before the military man could escape. Dr. Ulf swung by, however, and traded him the two medical cards she had stolen from the enemy vault. He healed himself, only to later be assaulted by Sir Gawain, who was wielding the War Hammer! Fortunately he Squeaked the Damage, taking away only three Health, and was subsequently cut in half by Perindor and the Scottish Claymore. Once again Corproal Janus healed himself back to full Health. Finally the Bug Hunter was attacked by the Bladed Terror and Wintercreak. Like an overager fool I attacked back with my three White WHOP, thus allowing Wintercreak to strike at me! I rolled a miserable twelve on my to hit roll, but Janus' armor saved him from Wintercreak's strike, allowing him to cling to the single point of Health the Bladed Terror's savaging had left him with. On my turn Janus fled a short distance away, and when the Lethal Lifeform also fled he put a bullet in its skull with his three Green Penetration rifle.

Another time when a full-Health Hive Mother was facing Janus she stopped six spaces from him when he had two unrevealed cards. Then my brother frowned, moved Xecttyl seven spaces away, and simply said, "He gets what he needs." I said nothing, but inside I was seething, since of course one of those cards was the Howling Vines. Later Janus was able to catch up with and imprison Xecctyl with the Howling Vines. She was eventually freed, only for the Bug Hunter to blow her away with a three Green machine gun, which, of course, was five Green in his hands.

The only failure of his I can remember is when Reaver Mark VII was stationed inside the rim of fire on the Rifts platter. Through good luck (mine!) my opponent's characters kept getting banished into that dome key, and were getting killed in Melee combat by the Battered War Machine. I believe I got Ace Cannon and one of the Vestri's before Corporal Janus dismissed into the dome key. He charged Reaver and used his Plasma Sword to cut the War Machine's Health in half. Reaver, however, reached out, seized the Bug Hunter's neck, and snapped it like a twig with an Amaze on damage!

In our last game, however, Janus got his revenge: he used the Terra Gun on Reaver, reducing the War Machine to scrap with two shots. Near the end of the game he also used the three Yellow Rifle to take out the Battleskid-riding Mandibled Plasmoid!

In another recent game Commodore Blaylock was standing with two other characters and was armed with the Phase Glider. Corporal Janus moved nearby, behind cover, and hit the Timebender Cube. The next thing Blaylock knew he had been neatly impaled on the WHOP for five damage! Corporal Janus was able to escape and later killed the other two characters who were with Blaylock, who weren't even from the future! In another game I believe I've previously mentioned he came in as a henchmen for Big Herr and with only a little help from Dr. Pennopolis slew Boris Andronov and Sgt. Gritt!

Now I obviously can't promise that you'll see this kind of performance from the Bug Hunter, but you very well might. By far the most important thing to do is to arm him properly, either through his adventuring or through trading. Try to avoid taking challenges which don't give him cards; Janus should spend his time in Labryinths or looting the Outpost in Cany XII.

Once Corporal Janus has what he needs make sure to target the Future characters especially, and don't forget to use him as a Creature killer as well when necessary! Though he only has four Health, you should find that the Bug Hunter's Green Stealth and natural Green Armor make him a heck of a survivor.

With his stats Corporal Janus does best with Aim weapons and Grenades. He's also good with Melee weapons, though of course Melee combat carries with it much greater risks than ranged combat. Rather surprisingly, given his natural Green Armor, Janus is an excellent choice for receiving additional Armor! By the nature of his role he's going to see a lot of action and experience has proven that giving him White Armor is an excellent and worthwhile investment. I've also seen him make great use of the Timebender Cube and the Cube which allows you to teleport four spaces away at the beginning of Melee combat. Trick the Corporal out and he'll justify the effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed all the success stories of Corporal Janus' adventures.
Have a coin for your efforts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what other game yields stories like this?!? simply awesome--thank you as always, quite entertaining and informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked them, DenGad, and you're most welcome, Jeffmal. Corporal Janus isn't a particularly tough or tricky character to use, but I had so many stories of his exploits that I knew I had to do a post on himcool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.