Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep - Starts August 18th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, once again it's time to get geared up for the next round of the Lord of the Rings: WEREWOLF!

Part III takes the action to Helm's Deep and will be a rather unusual werewolf game in a number of ways, as you will see in the proposed roles/rules below.

Currently, the following people are signed up in round 2, and will be automatically signed for this new round UNLESS they specifically wish to drop out of the round for whatever reason (including those so-called "real life issues" which I think are just a myth). All you need do is PM me that you cannot play, and I'll take you off and recruit someone else to join in!

arkibet
dalestephenson
dbmurph22
deadkenny
gregarius
Javal
jmilum
KakarisMaelstrom
Melsana
Noaceyet
Peregrine
ptper
Rukasu
seanp
shugyosha
silverpenny
Stuey
Tarrant
xandryyte

This makes for 19 players - I can potentially make round III go to 21 players if there is sufficient interest, but certainly no more than that. (berserkley has had to drop out of this round, unfortunately, as has jaredh)

In round III we move away from the ring-bearer and his quest (which we will return to in the final installment) and focus on the hunt for the hobbits, the healing of Theoden and the gathering of the Rohirrim for battle at Helm's Deep, and the Entmoot that will decide whether the Ents go to war against Saruman or not.

Thus, there are no "ring rules" in this section. The game will have enough interesting features to keep the new and experienced players on their toes, however.

Roles for Game III - Helm's Deep

Gandalf - The White Wizard returns, and his major task is the healing of King Theoden. Each night Gandalf may target a person, by PM to the moderator, and find out if that person is Theoden. If he finds Theoden, Theoden is healed and may use his special abilities. Gandalf also has the ability to nullify Saruman's special powers. Each night, Gandalf can PM the moderator with the name of two players he wishes to protect from Saruman's influence; if Saruman chooses to steal the vote of either of those individuals, Saruman's power fails for the following day. Gandalf is automatically immune to Saruman's power.

Aragorn - The ranger turns hunter, and when his hunt for the hobbits brings him to Gandalf, Aragorn rides to help muster Rohan and fight alongside Eomer. Each night Aragorn may target a person, by PM to the moderator, and find out if that person is Eomer. If he finds Eomer, Eomer is released from captivity and may use his special abilities. Aragorn also can win the game for the Fellowship if he and one of the villains are the only players remaining in the game.

Merry and Pippin - These two hobbits (separate roles) are initially captured by the Uruk-Hai, but escape when Eomer's band ambushes the orcs. They then encounter Treebeard, and convince him to march to war against Saruman. Merry and Pippin may target a person each night (chosen together), by PM to the moderator, and find out if that person is Treebeard. If they find Treebeard, Treebeard gathers the Ents for war against Isengard. Merry and Pippin can also PM each other during the game.

Theoden (Hidden Role) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Theoden (the player does not know this at the outset). If Gandalf successfully finds Theoden, the player learns his secret role and may start using Theoden's special ability. As King of the Mark, Theoden's special ability is to heavily influence one day's vote through his leadership. Once during the game, Theoden may cast TWO votes for lynch. These votes can be for the same person or different people. Theoden also removes Grima's special power (though Theoden will not know who Grima is as a result). On the first night after successful recruitment of Theoden, Grima may use his power one final time. After that night, Grima's ability is removed (even if Theoden is later killed or lynched - Grima's loss of power is permanent).

Eomer (Hidden Role) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Eomer(the player does not know this at the outset). If Aragorn successfully finds Eomer, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use Eomer's ability. As with Aragorn, if Eomer and a villain are the only players remaining at the end of the game, the Fellowship wins the game. If BOTH Aragorn and Eomer are alive at the end of the game with 2 villains, then the Fellowship wins. (Seriously, who's going to stand against the combined forces of those two? Not a bunch of sissy Uruks, that's for sure!)

Treebeard (Hidden Role) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be Treebeard (the player does not know this at the outset). If Merry and Pippin successfully find Treebeard, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use Treebeard's ability. Treebeard may begin PMing with Merry and Pippin once recruited. On the day after being recruited, Treebeard has no special power (must not be hasty!) other than this ability. On the following day, Treebeard will learn the identity of Saruman. Treebeard is also immune to Saruman's special ability (note that prior to Merry and Pippin finding Treebeard, that player is NOT immune to Saruman's ability).

And that's it for the good guys! WHAT, no SEER? That's right... no seer for the good guys this time around. It's all about recruitment - mustering allies and rallying everyone against the VILLAINS.

And who might those be?

Saruman - Who else but the White Wizard? But of course now he chooses to be Saruman of the Technicolor Dreamcoat (that's for you, dale, Mr. Broadway). Saruman's greatest power is in his voice, silvery sweet with words of persuasion. Each day Saruman can steal one vote in secret. At night, Saruman PM's the moderator with a player's name, and also name another person that Saruman wishes that player to vote for (this cannot then be changed during the day - the decision must be made the night before). When the lynch tallies are finalized for the day, that player's vote will be switched to the designated person. Saruman's power fails if he targets Treebeard (once Treebeard is activated), Gandalf, or anyone Gandalf chooses to protect that day.

Ugluk- One of the hordes of of Uruk-Hai captains leading the assault on Helm's Deep. Ugluk's job is to find a suitable Uruk for the job of Berserker. Each night Ugluk PM's the moderator with the name of another player, and is told if that person is the Orc Berserker. If found, this activates the Berserker's abilities. Ugluk may then send (but not receive) messages to the Orc Berserker.

Grima Wormtongue - Saruman's agent in the House of Eorl. Grima's words are poison and can hinder the efforts of the Fellowship. Each night, Grima PM's the moderator with a target player. That player cannot be successfully recruited by Gandalf, Aragorn, or the hobbits. If one of them targets that person, they will learn that Grima has blocked their efforts, but will not know if the target has a special role or who Grima is.

Orc Berserker (Hidden Role) - At the beginning of the game one "villager" is secretly chosen to be the Berserker(the player does not know this at the outset). If Ugluk successfully finds the berserker, the player learns his secret role and will be able to use the Berserker's ability. At any time during the day phase, the Berserker may choose a target player. Both the berserker and that player are killed (except for Gandalf, who is immune). This may also be activated if the berserker is chosen for lynch; the lynched berserker may choose a player to kill when lynched (again, except for Gandalf). Although the Berserker may not PM the villains, the Berserker can receive PM's from Ugluk (only). Once recruited, the Berserker is considered a "villain" and wins with the villains, and counts as a villain for the purposes of determining victory for one side or the other.

Soldiers of Rohan - All the other players.

Note that the person who successfully recruits his/her target will KNOW that person has that hidden role; as well, the person who has been recruited will know which player recruited him or her. However, those players cannot PM (with the exceptions of Treebeard and Ugluk, above). It will thus be a very BAD idea for villains to claim, "I am Theoden! Don't Lynch Me!" unless they really want to draw out Gandalf.

Other notes: If Saruman targets Theoden on a night, and the next day Theoden declares the use of his "double vote", the double vote takes place as per Theoden's decree, and Saruman's ability does NOT apply. However, if Theoden does not use his special power, his vote CAN be stolen as normal, per Saruman's role rules.

In this game, because there is no seer or detective, roles WILL be revealed upon death. This applies ONLY to non-hidden roles, and to hidden roles that have been activated. If a person with a hidden role is killed or lynched, and that person's hidden role has NOT been activated, then that person's hidden role will not be revealed to anyone. (Note that if a person successfully recruits his/her target on a night, and that target is killed that same night by the villains, then the target's identity IS revealed because the recruitment will occur before the kill is made.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep - ANNOUNCEMENT
it all good man, its all good (translation: I'll read the rules later )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Real translation: It doesn't matter what the rules and roles are, it's Werewolf and Lord of the Rings, you're playing no matter what.

So, jm, did the mvp for Camelot get decided yet? I think you're far ahead in the lead. I may be a distant second if that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Real translation: It doesn't matter what the rules and roles are, it's Werewolf and Lord of the Rings, you're playing no matter what.
Ditto. And really, I will read the rules later. Is there a start date yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been unconventional and read the rules.

Really really interesting. No seer is intriguing to say the least.

Very flavorful. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slated start date is August 22nd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
So, jm, did the mvp for Camelot get decided yet? I think you're far ahead in the lead. I may be a distant second if that.
yes, I got the MVP thanks to your seduction. I'm gonna watch out for the ruffies next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No seer, but Theoden is pretty bad-a**.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also vote for random selection of roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
No seer, but Theoden is pretty bad-a**.
As he should be. I'm considering making his knowledge of Grima different somehow... because in truth, it would turn really bad for the bad guys if both Theoden and Treebeard got found right away.

Actually I kind of think the combo of Aragorn + Eomer is great too, once available... makes it very difficult for the wolves to win normally with that in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I also vote for random selection of roles.
Yeah, this time around it won't work to have requests. You can't request a secret role, after all. It will all have to be random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
It just gets better and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Glad you think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
berserkley wrote:
Glad you think so.
Yeah, this looks very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Slated start date is August 22nd.
Good. You and Mel can both play my game. What do you say?

Do Merry and Pippin send out separate PM's to find Treebeard - or just one person each night together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craptastic! Antarctica III is also going on August 22nd... and then Monty Python on the 29th...

It's all just tooooo much!

Well how about this then. Let's start this game as soon as Part II is done.

Actually, Part II isn't going to last now beyond Monday anyway. It's not physically possible, really. Monday will end up being the finalization of game 2, so...

Let's start game III on Monday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Craptastic! Antarctica III is also going on August 22nd... and then Monty Python on the 29th...

It's all just tooooo much!

Well how about this then. Let's start this game as soon as Part II is done.

Actually, Part II isn't going to last now beyond Monday anyway. It's not physically possible, really. Monday will end up being the finalization of game 2, so...

Let's start game III on Monday!
Seanp’s game is Monday, but that’s what he deserves for being evil this game. I can do both, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there's less cross-over with Clan Wars than Antarctica. And seanp should have no trouble modding and playing at the same time... right? We do it all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay this game will:

START AUGUST 18TH

Day 1 will last through Friday, August 19th.

Day 2 will run Friday to the following Monday, Aug. 22nd

Day 3 will then run 2 real days, to the 24th.

Day 4 runs 2 real days to the 26th.

And so on.

Slow pace, lots of time for people to chime in and contribute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you change the Grishnakh role to Ugluk? Grishnakh wasn't an Uruk-Hai, he was an ape of Lugburz with his own agenda. No way he leads the assult on Helm's Deep.

Ugluk wasn't around for Helm's Deep either, of course. But he's certainly the best developed Uruk-hai. The orc he was hoping to find (and use against Eomer) was Mauhur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Can you change the Grishnakh role to Ugluk? Grishnakh wasn't an Uruk-Hai, he was an ape of Lugburz with his own agenda. No way he leads the assult on Helm's Deep.

Ugluk wasn't around for Helm's Deep either, of course. But he's certainly the best developed Uruk-hai. The orc he was hoping to find (and use against Eomer) was Mauhur.
Sure. Sure. Anything to make you happy. Ugluk it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Grima's Ability...

I had a thought about a slight change that I think might help game play a little with out affecting balance too much... but you can be the judge.

What I'm worried about is a good player targets someone, and they are not recruted. That person doesn't know if it was because they weren't who they were searching for, or if it is because Grima intercepted them.

I think it would be interesting if the Good guy was told that Grima intercepted REGARDLESS of the targets actual role. This would then give the good guy a delema.. do they try again, or do they try someone else. If they try again it might of course fail again because that player is not who they were looking for.

I just think it would REALLY suck if Grima intercepted a target and the good guy never went back and therefor the fellowship is screwed. The chances of hitting their search is pretty small anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
About Grima's Ability...

I had a thought about a slight change that I think might help game play a little with out affecting balance too much... but you can be the judge.

What I'm worried about is a good player targets someone, and they are not recruted. That person doesn't know if it was because they weren't who they were searching for, or if it is because Grima intercepted them.

I think it would be interesting if the Good guy was told that Grima intercepted REGARDLESS of the targets actual role. This would then give the good guy a delema.. do they try again, or do they try someone else. If they try again it might of course fail again because that player is not who they were looking for.

I just think it would REALLY suck if Grima intercepted a target and the good guy never went back and therefor the fellowship is screwed. The chances of hitting their search is pretty small anyway.

Just my thoughts.
Hmmmm... interesting, as it doesn't really give the player any more information than they already had. Grima, of course, doesn't know anything about his target... so the good guy can't assume Grima purposely blocked a hidden role. You're right, then the good guy simply has to decide whether to spend another turn on that person (and possibly get blocked by Grima AGAIN) or move on...

I like it. I'll put that in .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
please take me out of this and all other parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
please take me out of this and all other parts.
soblue I hope it is nothing serious that would take you out of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |