Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any games out there that start with just a few actions available to the players (say, 3 or 4), and the number of possible actions increases throughout the game (up to more than 40?) All current actions are available to all of the players.

If not, any ideas for a theme that would be a natural fit?

The mechanic I'm trying out is to do with learning a language, a few new words at a time.

My ideas so far are:

(1) Trading with various tribes -- but you can only trade in items that you know the words for. You can also ask geographical questions that open up the map and let you into new areas.

(2) Salvaging (or repairing?) a crashed alien space ship. Players slowly learn the commands to operate the computer / robots throughout the ship. More advanced commands let you do more powerful / useful things.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is an obvious example, but not to the same extreme. It goes from about 15-20 available actions at the beginning of the game to exactly 13 more than that in the final round.

Le Havre, a direct family member of Agricola, has the same basic schema. It's probably even closer to your idea, as players have to "buy" the new actions in order to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
And both Agricola and Le Havre owe almost everything they are to Roads & Boats and Antiquity, and to [I think] a lesser extent Caylus. You'd do well to look at those three, too. They all have the same increasing-capabilities model, Caylus probably most directly now that I think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is the king of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets a lot of flak, but Wallace's Tempus allows players to take increasing numbers of actions over the course of the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it you've got loads of options if you're basing it on language learning so I guess it depends on your target audience. For example, if you're trying to reach cooking class goers you could have players cooking dinner in a foreign nation. So once they learn the word for "sushi" you can go out and buy sushi and use it in your recipes.

If you want more ideas just take a look at language classes for immigrants. You should be able to pick up specialized language sets for pretty much any profession that you could use to base the theme of your game on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.