Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

WarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Need some help deciding on this one rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

As the title says - I'm interested in this game but not quite sure whether I should get it or not (buying it with the expansion together).
Does it scratch the same itch as Runewars? I.e. gathering resources, recruiting units, upgrading buildings and fighting?

While I played the game maybe once when I was a kid (yeah, I know, for shame on me) my friends and I really enjoy Heroes Of Might And Magic, so I was looking for something similar in the form of a board game. Runewars seems to hit the spot, but since it's so damn expensive, I can't get it for the time being.

Whichever input you have would be useful.

Thnx!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Warcraft is out of print, and you almost need the expansion to fix some balance issues, I don't know that Warcraft would be all that much cheaper. I like Warcraft, but Runewars is by far the better game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the base and expansion when they were super cheap last year and think its a pretty cool game as long as you have the expansion to fix the various issues the base game has.

Not sure if the value has skyrocketed on this since its now out of print permanently. But if you can get both for a decent price then you might have fun with it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are places to get the base+expansion together for the normal game price, not an overpriced OOP price. One place I looked, Runewars was 2.5 times more expensive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for what it's worth, I think Runewars is definitely more than 2.5 times better than Warcraft
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One BGG'er commented that WarCraft: The Boardgame felt like a Eurogame disguised as Ameritrash. I'd agree. RuneWars is MUCH MUCH more Ameritrashy.

I checked your Games Owned, but you don't have any entries, so can't say which game is best for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
One BGG'er commented that WarCraft: The Boardgame felt like a Eurogame disguised as Ameritrash. I'd agree. RuneWars is MUCH MUCH more Ameritrashy.

I checked your Games Owned, but you don't have any entries, so can't say which game is best for you.


I never get around updating that section. I just update what games I have for trade/sale. I enjoy both eurogames and ameritrash games, not so sure if that helps deciding, but the fact that it has more euro feel to it is a pretty useful thing to know.

sigmazero13 wrote:
Well, for what it's worth, I think Runewars is definitely more than 2.5 times better than Warcraft


I figured so. That game looks awesome. I guess I was looking for something like Runewars, only affordable, and Warcraft: The Boardgame does sound similar in theme and game aspects (recourses, units, etc.).

I was hoping for a coupon for B&N or something like that so I could buy that for a reasonable price.

ScottE wrote:
I picked up the base and expansion when they were super cheap last year and think its a pretty cool game as long as you have the expansion to fix the various issues the base game has.

Not sure if the value has skyrocketed on this since its now out of print permanently. But if you can get both for a decent price then you might have fun with it.


I can get it for around $44 (base+expansion) including shipping to Israel and costume fees.

In case I do end up buying this, should I add the expansion right away to help balance things out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
In case I do end up buying this, should I add the expansion right away to help balance things out?

Yes, it has all new cards. You take the old deck and just throw it away!

We played our first game with the expansion. I really feel that the expansion was meant for the full game and just left out. The original cards did not have rules on them so everyone had to share the manual to figure out what they did. The expansion revised the deck and also put the full rules on each card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
I can get it for around $44 (base+expansion) including shipping to Israel and costume fees.

Wow, for that price it's definitely worth it. Hopefully it will scratch the itch until you can get ahold of Runewars.

The only main problem I had with Warcraft is that in many games, the first big battle ends up being the deciding factor, and that can often come early and just leads to a slow, painful inevitable decline of the loser, at least in 2 player games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Warlord
msg tools
That's the exact same feeling I had about it. Warcraft + Expansion feels like a single game and rather than expanding is much more akin to filling a deficit in the base set. Having said that, the base game by itself is a decent enough play but once I acquired the expansion and added it in, I found I could not play the base set by itself again. All the contents fit in the original box which is handy and that's a decent price for the play time you'll get out of it.

As Scott said, there are elements of the expansion that outright replace parts of the base set which include the Experience deck that sees some changes from the old one (Aside from having the text on the card rather than the rulebook, some abilities are modified, new ones added while some old ones are assimiliated into racial modifiers). Depending on the edition of the base game, the expansion replaced the special rules for 2 races which was for the better though the second printing of the base set I'm told has this change already included. Aside from that there are just a few outpost tokens/chits that are replaced though you can always keep them as spare given the only change to those was the addition of a border.

Finally there's plenty of user material & scenarios floating about to keep it fresh beyond those offered via the rulebooks which are to some degree limited.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and StarCraft: The Board Game a lot.

And I really like playing World of Warcraft: The Boardgame too. Even without the expansion! I must admit we only play it 4 times a year. But it is superior to the 2 other forementioned board games because the playing time is waaaaaay less. It's all about gathering resources and fighting. that's is. But the ruleset is keen and very compact. All concepts of the Warcraft PC version are in this game, but they are hidden in certain tricks and mechanics. I call it TI3 light :) (Never played Runewars because I hate the playing time of TI3. And RW is the same.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garathos wrote:
That's the exact same feeling I had about it. Warcraft + Expansion feels like a single game and rather than expanding is much more akin to filling a deficit in the base set. Having said that, the base game by itself is a decent enough play but once I acquired the expansion and added it in, I found I could not play the base set by itself again. All the contents fit in the original box which is handy and that's a decent price for the play time you'll get out of it.

As Scott said, there are elements of the expansion that outright replace parts of the base set which include the Experience deck that sees some changes from the old one (Aside from having the text on the card rather than the rulebook, some abilities are modified, new ones added while some old ones are assimiliated into racial modifiers). Depending on the edition of the base game, the expansion replaced the special rules for 2 races which was for the better though the second printing of the base set I'm told has this change already included. Aside from that there are just a few outpost tokens/chits that are replaced though you can always keep them as spare given the only change to those was the addition of a border.

Finally there's plenty of user material & scenarios floating about to keep it fresh beyond those offered via the rulebooks which are to some degree limited.


I don't like it when a game must have the expansion integrated with it to make it a complete game, but it's good to know you must have both to enjoy it rather than only get the base game and not enjoy the game.

Thnx for the info!

sigmazero13 wrote:

Wow, for that price it's definitely worth it. Hopefully it will scratch the itch until you can get ahold of Runewars.

The only main problem I had with Warcraft is that in many games, the first big battle ends up being the deciding factor, and that can often come early and just leads to a slow, painful inevitable decline of the loser, at least in 2 player games.


That might be a deal breaker. As someone who often plays 2 player games, I have encountered some games where this situation happen quite often. How often does it happen?

Btw, I've seen in the expansion's BGG page that you offered help to a couple of folks that bought the german edition. I wasn't aware of the text in the cards up until now. Would it be a nuisance getting the game in german?

I guess I can also wait until B&N will have a 50% off coupon (when does that usually happen?), but I'm not sure how similar are the games. I.e. does one "replace" the other?

ScottE wrote:

Yes, it has all new cards. You take the old deck and just throw it away!

We played our first game with the expansion. I really feel that the expansion was meant for the full game and just left out. The original cards did not have rules on them so everyone had to share the manual to figure out what they did. The expansion revised the deck and also put the full rules on each card.


I would rather throw them Ricky Jay style cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
I like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and StarCraft: The Board Game a lot.

And I really like playing World of Warcraft: The Boardgame too. Even without the expansion! I must admit we only play it 4 times a year. But it is superior to the 2 other forementioned board games because the playing time is waaaaaay less. It's all about gathering resources and fighting. that's is. But the ruleset is keen and very compact. All concepts of the Warcraft PC version are in this game, but they are hidden in certain tricks and mechanics. I call it TI3 light (Never played Runewars because I hate the playing time of TI3. And RW is the same.)

Saying a game is superior simply because of the time is like saying a hot dog is superior to an oven-roasted turkey because it takes less time

I would hardly call Warcraft TI3 light in any sense - they have almost nothing in common except they are played on hexes.

Finally, while some people have reported extremely long play times of Runewars, I have never even come close. Even 4-player Epic games of Runewars for me have always clocked in at less than 3 hours; I can't say that about most 4-player games of TI3.


Warcraft is fun, even if I don't get a chance to play it much these days, but I don't think it's even close to being as fun as TI3 or Runewars (at least not for me).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
I like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and StarCraft: The Board Game a lot.

And I really like playing World of Warcraft: The Boardgame too. Even without the expansion! I must admit we only play it 4 times a year. But it is superior to the 2 other forementioned board games because the playing time is waaaaaay less. It's all about gathering resources and fighting. that's is. But the ruleset is keen and very compact. All concepts of the Warcraft PC version are in this game, but they are hidden in certain tricks and mechanics. I call it TI3 light (Never played Runewars because I hate the playing time of TI3. And RW is the same.)


I can get TI3 second handed for a reasonable price but I would like a game that supports 2 players as well. Furthermore, I've heard that this game has a backstabbing aspect, which I really don't like.

Starcraft looks cool, but I think the price range is the same as Runewars.

The playing time for Warcraft: The Boardgame is also a big plus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:

That might be a deal breaker. As someone who often plays 2 player games, I have encountered some games where this situation happen quite often. How often does it happen?

Honestly, it's happened in almost every 2-player game I've played, unfortunately. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it always seems to happen. Even when we've tried just having a light picket defense to block the enemy to prevent it, it never seems to work.

I haven't seen the same problem in 3- or 4-player games. And it could just be that the strategies we employ aren't suited for a decent Warcraft 2-player game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:

That might be a deal breaker. As someone who often plays 2 player games, I have encountered some games where this situation happen quite often. How often does it happen?

Honestly, it's happened in almost every 2-player game I've played, unfortunately. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it always seems to happen. Even when we've tried just having a light picket defense to block the enemy to prevent it, it never seems to work.

I haven't seen the same problem in 3- or 4-player games. And it could just be that the strategies we employ aren't suited for a decent Warcraft 2-player game.


Thnx for the input!
Now I am more confused about whether I should get it or not
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already got more input than I have to offer, but I only own the base game, and my friends found a way to break it. So it never comes out any more.
I prefer World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, but I've never played Runewars and I've never played Warcraft: The Boardgame with the expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Warcraft:Boardgame+Expansion, not played Runewards so my opinion is incomplete but my impression from both games is that Warcraft is a more complex Nexus Ops (with it's pros and cons) and that Runewars is Starcraft with Heroes and Quests.
One is simpler and more to the point while another has another a lot of unnecessary stuff to make a game, which fits my bias is that one game was made by Kevin Wilson and the other by Corey Konieczka.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
Thnx for the input!
Now I am more confused about whether I should get it or not


Go ahead and get it, as long as you can get it with the expansion. You will not regret it for that price.

The expansion is a must, not because the base game is incomplete or can't be enjoyed by itself, but because after some games you will start noticing that it is flawed or unbalanced in some sense. The expansion definitely fixes this.

My advice is that you start playing it out of the box with the expansion cards (they replace the base game cards), the new resource harvesting method (2 resource units for each worker per turn instead of a random number, and fixed amounts of resources instead of sudden depletion) and if you like, the new race specific abilities. The expansion also includes extra board segments but you can stick to the original scenarios first before you try the ones from the expansion.

Also, you can leave aside the Heroes and the Creeps until you feel comfortable enough with the game mechanics and strategy (although I barely never use them because they tend to make games much longer and they don't feel well balanced).

Be aware that there are 2 revised ability rules that you must use: Healing (Humans) and Slow Poison (Elves). They have been changed in the expansion because they were ridiculously overpowered in the base game. This is not really part of the expansion, but more of erratas for those abilities in the base game that were released in FAQs previous to the expansion.

In my experience this game plays great with 2 players and is a lot of fun. Games don't take too long and its replayability value is very high given the fact that the board is dynamic and you can build different scenarios for every time you play.

It feels more euro than american by the fact that the board and units representation (wooden pieces) as well as the strategy is very abstract. But it doesn't feel out of place because it keeps it simple and allows you to focus more on what you are doing each turn.

All in all, once you include the expansion this is a very solid game which you will be enjoying for a long time. If you can get both for that price, there is no doubt you should already be playing it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
I have only played Warcraft:Boardgame+Expansion, not played Runewards so my opinion is incomplete but my impression from both games is that Warcraft is a more complex Nexus Ops (with it's pros and cons) and that Runewars is Starcraft with Heroes and Quests.
One is simpler and more to the point while another has another a lot of unnecessary stuff to make a game, which fits my bias is that one game was made by Kevin Wilson and the other by Corey Konieczka.

Descent was made by Kevin Wilson, and is far more fiddly and filled with unnecessary stuff than Runewars. (I like Descent, but it's a beast in terms of complexity, it's not a game I'd introduce new gamers to, whereas I *HAVE* introduced Runewars to several new gamers).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:
Thnx for the input!
Now I am more confused about whether I should get it or not


Go ahead and get it, as long as you can get it with the expansion. You will not regret it for that price.

The expansion is a must, not because the base game is incomplete or can't be enjoyed by itself, but because after some games you will start noticing that it is flawed or unbalanced in some sense. The expansion definitely fixes this.

My advice is that you start playing it out of the box with the expansion cards (they replace the base game cards), the new resource harvesting method (2 resource units for each worker per turn instead of a random number, and fixed amounts of resources instead of sudden depletion) and if you like, the new race specific abilities. The expansion also includes extra board segments but you can stick to the original scenarios first before you try the ones from the expansion.

Also, you can leave aside the Heroes and the Creeps until you feel comfortable enough with the game mechanics and strategy (although I barely never use them because they tend to make games much longer and they don't feel well balanced).

Be aware that there are 2 revised ability rules that you must use: Healing (Humans) and Slow Poison (Elves). They have been changed in the expansion because they were ridiculously overpowered in the base game. This is not really part of the expansion, but more of erratas for those abilities in the base game that were released in FAQs previous to the expansion.

In my experience this game plays great with 2 players and is a lot of fun. Games don't take too long and its replayability value is very high given the fact that the board is dynamic and you can build different scenarios for every time you play.

It feels more euro than american by the fact that the board and units representation (wooden pieces) as well as the strategy is very abstract. But it doesn't feel out of place because it keeps it simple and allows you to focus more on what you are doing each turn.

All in all, once you include the expansion this is a very solid game which you will be enjoying for a long time. If you can get both for that price, there is no doubt you should already be playing it!


Thnx for the info. I can get the game in German. Is that a problem? I haven't seen any cards translation in the expansion's game page here on the Geek.

Also, have you encountered situations in the 2 player game in which the game wasn't balanced? I.e. one said suffered a major loss after a move (or moves) and his defeat was just a matter of time.

PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
I have only played Warcraft:Boardgame+Expansion, not played Runewards so my opinion is incomplete but my impression from both games is that Warcraft is a more complex Nexus Ops (with it's pros and cons) and that Runewars is Starcraft with Heroes and Quests.
One is simpler and more to the point while another has another a lot of unnecessary stuff to make a game, which fits my bias is that one game was made by Kevin Wilson and the other by Corey Konieczka.


I am not really familiar with Nexus Ops and Starcraft :O

bluebehir wrote:
You've already got more input than I have to offer, but I only own the base game, and my friends found a way to break it. So it never comes out any more.
I prefer World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, but I've never played Runewars and I've never played Warcraft: The Boardgame with the expansion.


Maybe the expansion will fix it for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
I am not really familiar with Nexus Ops and Starcraft :O
Then disregard my post

btw, I haven't played Descent but I have read/heard reviews and I think it's pretty good at what it tries to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:
I am not really familiar with Nexus Ops and Starcraft :O
Then disregard my post

btw, I haven't played Descent but I have read/heard reviews and I think it's pretty good at what it tries to be.


I still appreciate the help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
Thnx for the info. I can get the game in German. Is that a problem? I haven't seen any cards translation in the expansion's game page here on the Geek.


Is the base game or the expansion what comes in German? Or Both? If the base game comes in German it is irrelevant, because all cards become replaced by those in the expansion. If it is the expansion what is in German, well, it will mean that all your cards will be in German and you will need to print a sheet with the translations to look them up while playing. But besides the cards, all other components are not language dependent and have no text on them.

Regarding the rulebooks you can find the English versions in PDF format here in BBG, so that is nothing to worry about.

Chris2210 wrote:
Also, have you encountered situations in the 2 player game in which the game wasn't balanced? I.e. one said suffered a major loss after a move (or moves) and his defeat was just a matter of time.


The key is that playing 2 player games require a very different strategy than when playing multiplayer. Obviously if you are used to play with 3 or 4 players and you try to use the same strategy in a 2 player game you will become owned.

Playing this game with 2 players turns it into a race in which you don't need to upgrade all your units, but only to upgrade your race key strengths as soon as possible to hit first and prevent your opponent from doing the same.

The game is balanced in the sense that any of the 2 players can do it depending on how good they play. But of course there are situations where a bad move can put you in a compromised position from the beginning. But that happens even in chess, where for example a bad move can make you lose your queen early in the game and that will leave your opponent with a huge advantage.

Each race plays different and requires a different strategy, Orcs are very defensive and are better moving in blocks, while humans and the undead are better attacking early.

Personally I have developed some strategies based on that, with humans or the undead I build flying units as soon as possible and send them over the board to get the opponent foot soldiers and workers which can't defend against them. Of course if a player loses their workers that player is doomed. A bad move from the opponent is leaving them unprotected, but soon they learn and in the next games it is not that easy.

The best thing of playing this game with 2 players is that on each game you can choose different races, each with different abilities, and try different scenarios with different win conditions.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.