Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Random starting races, how many Terrans? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking of trying random races, but, then we wondered, should we put 6 aliens and 6 terrans in the mix; or 6 aliens and 1 terran?

Also, we were thinking the diplomat chits may be perfect also; draw one, and pick one of the sides/races from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always use the Ambassador chits, and when one is pulled flip it to randomly see which race to use.

I don't think limiting it to 1 terran race is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambassador chit, that is what I meant when I wrote "diplomat" chit; whoops.

Ya, maybe it's just themeatic, but "officially" there are 12 races, so we were discussing if there should be 12 chits or 7 in the randomizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say neither: Put 6 chits, pull one, then either flip or let the player decide which side to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That occured to me, and it sounded perfect. But as another player pointed out, if someone likes to play Terran, and you can always pick a Terran, it's not very random.

Thus our extemely unimportant cunundrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
That occured to me, and it sounded perfect. But as another player pointed out, if someone likes to play Terran, and you can always pick a Terran, it's not very random.

Thus our extemely unimportant cunundrum.

But who would always pick a Terran? They're boring. I think the only reason I'd be tempted to choose Terran would be if I got Mechanema. They don't really interest me, and I don't think they'd suit my playstyle. But then again, I'd probably give it a shot at least once to see how they work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We take one cube from each color and one purple damage cube, then have everyone draw one to determine their race. If someone draws purple they play terran, choosing from the unplayed color(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joeseph, that's a great idea if we use 7 races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.