Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Shelton

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/2012/01/10/get-down-to-b...

The new templates look AWESOME. Still preserves the look, position and color palette of the cards, but the graphic design of them is improved one-hundred-fold.

My only question is: Three of the four cards have the *Basic* keyword below the card title, but the Thunderstone Shard does not. Purposeful, or omission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nlshelton wrote:

The new templates look AWESOME. Still preserves the look, position and color palette of the cards, but the graphic design of them is improved one-hundred-fold.

My only question is: Three of the four cards have the *Basic* keyword below the card title, but the Thunderstone Shard does not. Purposeful, or omission?

Very exciting stuff, but I don't know if I like the new look as much. The new cards don't seem as rich in texture, and although I do like the idea of not having characters appear on weapon cards, the background palettes are a bit boring.

But as far as mechanics go, I can't wait to see where this new game is going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the mechanics look great and am glad to see icons and colors differentiating. But I hope the layout is still in the tweaking stage. Compared to the original design: [geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/576976/thunderstone](example)[/geekurl].

1. That original design, the text is easy to read and is very balanced, both horizontally and vertically. The new cards are left-aligned and create a lopsided feeling of the cards. Also, the main body text is vertically aligned to the top instead of the center, also making things feel "off."

2. The Thunderstone Shards card has the title overlapping outside the title background graphic lines which looks very amateurish, too. The keywords of the card (Hero, Basic, Weapon, etc) being under the title seems to force a smaller type face which de-emphasizes this and makes it harder to read when in play, the keywords of the card are more important than its name.

3. The art is fine but also seems less dramatic and less painting-like. I can't tell about the polearm but it feels like a toothpick. I am not sure if it's too zoomed out or if there's no interesting perspective.

4. Finally, I find some of the numbers of the cards (XP, VP, etc) harder to read due to lack of contrast than the original cards. Also, the light icon seems miss-aligned with the number.

Please keep in mind I am only offering this because I really enjoy the game and I like the concept of what I see and where this is going. Besides the possible colors and the lack of helpful icons, I loved the style and art of the original layout. Don't through the baby out with the bath water
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Musarra
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but as a huge fan of Thunderstone, I am incredibly disappointed by what I see in the basic cards. I was so looking forward to adding Advance to my Thunderstone collection, now I can say for sure, I probably won't be buying from this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
nlshelton wrote:

Very exciting stuff, but I don't know if I like the new look as much. The new cards don't seem as rich in texture, and although I do like the idea of not having characters appear on weapon cards, the background palettes are a bit boring.

I had pretty much the same reaction, I'm not sure I like the card design as much as the original but it may grow on me. I appreciate the icons but kind of found the strength/weight and cost icons to be a tad distracting especially when they overlap with the main art as is the case with the Regular. Even so, I enjoyed the nod to the original games by using the Iron Rations as the icon for strength/weight. The XP and VP icons on the bottom I thought were great though.

Agreed on the new mechanics, I'm excited to see what else they tweak/add. Making the starting cards more useful is definitely a welcome starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
nlshelton wrote:

I had pretty much the same reaction, I'm not sure I like the card design as much as the original but it may grow on me. I appreciate the icons but kind of found the strength/weight and cost icons to be a tad distracting especially when they overlap with the main art as is the case with the Regular. Even so, I enjoyed the nod to the original games by using the Iron Rations as the icon for strength/weight. The XP and VP icons on the bottom I thought were great though.

Agreed on the new mechanics, I'm excited to see what else they tweak/add. Making the starting cards more useful is defiantly a welcome starting point.

I was personally happy that we included icons for the xp and vp on the bottom. The very first two times my husband and I played Thunderstone we got the two numbers mixed around.

The frame itself is purposely kept minimal. We wanted the artwork to be a larger part of the card overall. And the text will all be larger and easier to read as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I didn't think I'd say this, but I prefer the original artwork.

The new frame is a bit on the boring side and the art is a bit lacking as well - no backgrounds other than a textured like colour rather than the dynamic artwork in the previous games.

I too hope that this layout isn't final. It's "Generic-stone" and has lost all its flavour.

Sorry to be a bit negative - but feel this is a bit step backwards and despite having labelled this game as an insta-buy... but it has certainly dampened my enthusiasm for it. If I do still get it (due to the interesting card play), it will most certainly be kept separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evonine wrote:
dotKeller wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
nlshelton wrote:

Agreed on the new mechanics, I'm excited to see what else they tweak/add. Making the starting cards more useful is defiantly a welcome starting point.

I was personally happy that we included icons for the xp and vp on the bottom. The very first two times my husband and I played Thunderstone we got the two numbers mixed around.

The frame itself is purposely kept minimal. We wanted the artwork to be a larger part of the card overall. And the text will all be larger and easier to read as well.

I still have to remind my wife every time we play what the icons on the monster cards mean. Adding these icons (the ones at the bottom) was one of the top tweaks that I've been waiting for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
Evonine wrote:
dotKeller wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
nlshelton wrote:

I still have to remind my wife every time we play what the icons on the monster cards mean. Adding these icons (the ones at the bottom) was one of the top tweaks that I've been waiting for.

And the monster cards haven't been revealed yet. Some of my favorite artwork is on the monster cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QPCloudy wrote:
I'm sorry, but as a huge fan of Thunderstone, I am incredibly disappointed by what I see in the basic cards. I was so looking forward to adding Advance to my Thunderstone collection, now I can say for sure, I probably won't be buying from this set.

I second this opinion, for now at least. It just looks like it should be renamed "Thunderstone: Power Creep"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the possibilities behind this new look. I guess we'll have to see how the templating works with the new rules.

My one complaint about this new look is that the numbers on the icons themselves aren't as clear especially the cost value in the center of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
QPCloudy wrote:

I second this opinion, for now at least. It just looks like it should be renamed "Thunderstone: Power Creep"

Basic cards that are actually semi-usable are not power creep. We're still going to be trying to thin these out of our decks when we get the chance, so it's not like any of these new Basic cards are going to supplant village cards from the earlier sets. They'll just make the early game more interesting.

They haven't revealed any new village cards or hero cards yet, so who knows, maybe those will have power creep. But since the power level in the expansions has gone down since the original set, I have faith that the power level of the cards in this set will be along the lines of what we're used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Visual appeal aside, I'm looking forward to trying out this set. I think next time I play, I'll house-rule the old basic cards to be like the new ones and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the new layout of the cards looks great! I especially liked the frame on the cards. It looks cool and the position of everything hasn't dramatically changed so now I am more hopeful I can integrate my previous thunderstone sets with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the mix of characters in the starting deck was alright. I mean... soldiers, weapons, food, and light.

Were militia great? No. But they had their uses. I saw no need to change them.

Were daggers great? No. But they had their uses. I saw no need to change them.

Were rations great? They certainly could be at times; I saw no need to change them. Let alone eliminate them.

Light... works.

I will still get this... I love Thunderstone ...but I am getting nervous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mcclain
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm... Yeah I am going to have to agree with some of you. I thought the older layout had a more dark and "dungeon" feel to them. This is a bit generic looking. The artwork is bland and the wording in some spots do seem off.

Regardless, we have only been shown the starting cards. We still have a lot more to see (at least I hope so). I am VERY intrigued to see where this goes! I like Thunderstone but have always wanted a more "dungeon crawler" feel added to it. Hopefully this helps in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Name and Card Type Location
Experience & Victory Icons
Interesting Basic cards
Differentiation of "Physical" and "Magical" attack - should help new folks

Cons:
HATE the strength/weight icon! A paper wrapped bundle of food? Is my Fighter's strength stat? Seriously?
Gold bits on the cost icon look like marbles not coins (at least at this resolution)
Art on the Regular is pretty poor compared to standard set in previous releases

Neutral:
Art on the frame

Notes:
The cost of the thunderstone shard is '0'.

I can understand why people feel this feels "lighter", less dungeony. That's not a bid deal to me really. However, I think that might be exacerbated by how sparse (and in the case of the Regular and the Spear pretty poor and lifeless) the art in the frame is. Still, these are BASIC cards. If that frame was filled up with spooky tentacle monsters and hungry dinosaurs or whatever I think the feel would be different.

I'm looking forward to more, but, as someone else said, I now wonder if I will ever put the new set in with my original collection. I do NOT think this is necessarily a good sentiment for AEG because backwards compatibility is nice comfortable blanket.

Finally, STRENGTH = Paper Wrapped Food Present? Come on you guys! How about a clenched fist for strength and a big Loony Toons barbell for weight? Or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how some of you are going from "insta-buy" to "off the buy list" because of the revelation of 4 cards in an entire new base set. Really? I know someone is moving your cheese and all, but geez. This is only the third update in what will probably be a string of updates for the new set. If you don't like it in the end, don't buy it. But don't go posting inflamatory remrks that the sky is falling in Tala.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Finally, STRENGTH = Paper Wrapped Food Present? Come on you guys! How about a clenched fist for strength and a big Loony Toons barbell for weight? Or something.

As was stated by a previous poster this is an homage to Iron Rations (original base game art by Jason Engle).

Paper wrapped food present is better than an octahedron with a red filling.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
navajas wrote:

As was stated by a previous poster this is an homage to Iron Rations (original base game art by Jason Engle).

LA

Well, it may be an hommage, but it won't mean a thing to new players.
Even I (an old Thunderstone player) don't really go for the "connection" here. I would much have preferred a different icon. Objectively, the parcel really means nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
If you don't like it in the end, don't buy it.

Useless Cliche' Response #7 Alpha: Usually employed as an attempt to infantilize or diminutize any negative opinion of a popular product.

lastalchemist wrote:
But don't go posting inflamatory remrks that the sky is falling in Tala.

I don't see anything inflammatory. You do realize that this is an entire website full of 1000s of forums where nerds congregate to discuss and critique games, right? AEG posted the preview and people are discussing whether or not they like it and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
navajas wrote:

LA

I know very well what it is. I still use it in my collection because the new art for a single serving rustic Ration looks more substantial than the Feast.

Knowing its origin does not mean it's used well here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too worried. The opening turns in TS can be awkward depending on the hall. The changes these cards show is a nice way to make awkward draws more meaningful.

As for the art-- anyone would be hard pressed to beat what they have already accomplished in style and mood.
See it as something different, a new world- new look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one thing that stuck out to me immediately between the new images and the current Thunderstone cards was the black border. Current Thunderstone cards have that nice black border to really sell the dark dungeon theme of the game. The images related to the new Advance cards don't have this border. Either these are simply representative images to show us the general feel for the new cards or they've actually dropped the border entirely.

The other thing I saw in the layout was the allignment towards the left border of the test instead of it being centered like in the older Thunderstone cards. Maybe that is just what I'm used to but I think I like the text oriented as centered on the card instead of flush left.

Putting layout and design issues aside, I'm very excited to learn what AEG has in store for players as far as new features or aspects of this game. I think AEG is adding depth to an already great and fun game. I look forward to playing Advance even if the cards aren't as appealing to me personally as the older ones.

I'm excited I got to see these early images of the new basic cards. I wonder what the rest of them will look like? I can't wait for this game and will be buying it immediately from my FLGS. But if these cards are that different from the older ones I will be keep these cards separate from the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new card layout and artwork. I am anxiously looking forward to more. But even if I didn't, I'd buy it anyway if I liked the game changes and how it plays. I don't play games for how they look. When I want to look at art I go to a museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.