Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
ARGH!!!

Okay. I give up. Almost. I know that part of DIY process is the pleasure of creating something with your own hands. I enjoy that too. I really do. And I have opposable thumbs. I really do. Sort of anyway. And just two.

So why why WHY can't I get my round counters to turn out right. I followed the suggestions in this marvelous thread step by step but my counters still turn up frayed at the edge.

Some of the counters "explode" and end up in layers. Am I using the wrong kind of stock. The stock is relatively hard but even if I use a mat and work on a concrete floor it takes a number of punches (and no my punch is pretty sharp and I do not have spaghetti arms) to get through the stock. If I give it everything I have I can easily punch the counter in one hit but some of them still end up in layers once they come out of the arch punch.

Any suggestions?

Here's how it looks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the stock you're using is way too thick for the size of those tokens. I had the same problem when I used the extra thick chipboard, but once I went down to the next thinner material, everything worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Campbell
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have a sharp tool and your doing it on a very hard surface, but might I add to Nick's suggestion, your material not only looks very thick, but very dense.

I'm having a lot of luck with single thickness chipboard from here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/all-purpose-chipboard/

Excellent board making material and it appears to be less dense then the white board your using.

Best of luck,

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are correct in questioning your stock.

It appears to be more "layered" looking than other stocks I've used, and (in non-technical language) the act of knocking the tokens out appears to be fighting against the adhesive that holds the layers together.

The stocks I've used look a lot more like a mass of paper waste that's been mulched, mixed with glue, and pressed into sheets. My guess is that this holds together better, especially when cutting or punching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I use The Game Crafter for tokens. They're 1.25" wooden tokens in different colors and have printable stickers that go on them. Doesn't cost me much more than using my own printer ink and card stock. Saves me a lot of time.

Loren

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/token-chip-green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Ekstrøm
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion.

I went out and bought a new card stock to test on. It's a lot thinner than my original sheet, has a grey pulpy middle and glossy white and top. Around 1.5 mm. The old sheet was around 3 mm and of a different type of stock.

I really like the thick stock. The tokens feel great and they are easy to grab and handle. But they turn out bad. I wasn't too happy with the thickness of the new stock when I found it in the shop but the tokens actually turn out to be okay. Did a few test "hits" and this is how they turned out together with the old tokens:

Thickness comparison. The "layers" in the old stock shows in this picture.

Quote:
I use The Game Crafter for tokens. They're 1.25" wooden tokens in different colors and have printable stickers that go on them. Doesn't cost me much more than using my own printer ink and card stock. Saves me a lot of time.

Great idea. Unfortunately, shipping to Denmark seems fairly prohibitive. I haven't found cheap wooden tokens in a local shop. Yet.

Thanks,

Claus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.