Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me like catapult is a weaker version of flying. So why do you get 5 tokens for flying and 4 for catapult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clembo2021 wrote:
It seems to me like catapult is a weaker version of flying. So why do you get 5 tokens for flying and 4 for catapult?

As has been said many times before, the races and powers are not perfectly balanced. Offsetting that is one of the main reasons for having to pay down for races.

Also consider that with Catapult, you get an immune territory that you don't have with Flying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
With flying you get: 5 guys, Can enter board anywhere, Can attack non-adjacent regions.

With Catapult you get: 4 guys, 1 movable immune region, Can attack regions 1 step away from immune regions, +1 to attack those regions.

So, while catapult includes a weak version of flying, it also includes a weak version of Heroic AND a weak version of Commando...

Essentially, Catapult is a combo of weak versions of three of the best powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Actually Catapult is far more similar to Dragon Master than Flying. Compared to Flying in regards to Offense Defense Catapult gets both an attack plus and a defense plus. Compared to Dragon master here's something I wrote before for another thread.

allstar64 wrote:
Dragon master is right at 5. Catapult is right at 4.

The main differance between the 2 is that while dragonmaster will often give you more tokens it can be stopped by indestrucable walls. The catipult cannot be.

Also in games with more people there are a lot of regions ajacent to the lake. Being adjacent to the lake gives catipult a mini flying ability (I think I read that the lake caounts as a region) whereas dragon has to fight its way around.

So basically you get 2 minor versions of 2 pretty good powers. combined You get the added flexibility of both powers.

The only other power which grants you both movement and Attacking abilities is Underworld but Underworld does not grant a defense boost and is limited to being usable on a few specific regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar said it well, but I would add...

Flying does not give you any kind of "move-in discount" and it tends to put you in everybody's back yard. So everybody is picking on you--you will need the extra RT. In this game (IMO) "spread out" is worse than "spread thin".

Catapult allows you to spread out, but threatens other players if they try to pick off your one-away regions--you can get them right back for 1 less RT. Plus it helps you defend yourself with that immunity in 1 region. (Yes, very like the Dragon Master power.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.