Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Howard
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longtime lurker...first time reviewer ninja.

I happened to spot Cards Against Humanity while killing time on Kickstarter. I was enamored by the group of young men in the video asking for my support. Their depravity, sheer penchant for randomness, deep desire to offend, and willingness to commit reminded me of myself before life, debt, work, and society ground those things into a smooth paste. I knew I wanted to give my money to the guys who had the stones to put "White People" and "Black People" on cards and dare others to deeply offend their party guests by using them as the response to a question like "What's that smell?"

So many weeks later the game arrived in the mail. I happily unboxed and started reading the cards with my 13 year old son. The first two cards he read were "incest" and "anal cancer." So he was asked to leave the room at that point. I then cracked a smile and thought to myself...finally the antidote to those horrible party games I have been subjected to for a lifetime.

The rules for this game are moron-simple: pick your white card that " best " matches up with the black card being read aloud. If the reader thinks it's the funniest...then you win that black card. First person to win enough black cards goes home with a greater sense of pride. As you can tell, there is some deep strategy to this game. It's almost like Reiner Knizia and Martin Wallace had sex and CAH is their deformed love child.

Let me walk you through a turn so you can see some of the deep decisions facing players in this game...

Step One: I am sitting with 5 white cards in my hand (my house rules--10 cards is typical):

1 "Eating all the cookies before the AIDS bake-sale."
2 "The Blood of Christ"
3 "A bleached as*hole"
4 "My genitals"
5 "Cards Against Humanity"

Step Two: The black card is read aloud: "In the new Disney Channel Original Movie, Hannah Montana struggles with __________________ for the first time."

Step Three: My mind is roiling with possibilities now. I am forced to think carefully about the person reading the card. What will will she think is funny? Will she go for the meta thing if I play my 5th card? Perhaps she's hungry and card #1 will grab her attention. Card #3 feels too esoteric for this round--best to save it for a player who will appreciate. Even though I've never seen a Hannah Montana movie I go with card #4--a true classic. When in doubt, always bet on my genitals.

Step Four: The various white choices are read aloud...some causing confusion...others raucous laughter. When my card is read aloud people immediately erupt with cheers. The inherent conflict and the double entendre of Hannah struggling with my genitals is just too much for everyone. My card is chosen...I raise my fist to the sky...another black card comes home to papa.

Frankly, this game works best after several drinks. I can think of at least three occasions where drunk friends have asked me to send them the link to buy it or begged me to sell my copy. This occurs after our group has been outed as offensive pigs. What better way to bond with friends?

I will second another reviewer's comment that you should pick your group wisely. This game separates the god-fearing from the relativists; the PC from the Don Rickles fans; the anal retentive from the scatological; and so on. Frankly, I want to keep an eye on those god-fearing, PC, anal retentive types anyway. They're probably creeping up on me with another friggin' copy of Wits & Wagers, or Balderdash, or something just a little too wholesome for my taste.

Respectfully...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold.

(And you can write your own questions for Wits and Wagers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bryan
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game is a blast, I too took part of the kickstarter for it. And oddly, the person I have introduced it to that enjoys it the most is my mother. The only one who hasn't liked it is my sister-in-law, but she is a little too reserved for this game. The last time my aunt and uncle came to town, my mom asked me to bring this down so that we could play with them. It has been a huge hit with my family.

It also now finishes off most of the game nights with one of my groups (unfortunately we only get to play about once a month, if that.)

I have the expansion but haven't dug into it yet, maybe next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think Cards Against Humanity is fine for a round or two. But the gameplay is nearly identical to Apples to Apples, and it doesn't take long for the shock/humor value to wear off.

Nice review, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vitaminj11 wrote:
When in doubt, always bet on my genitals.

Step Four: The various white choices are read aloud...some causing confusion...others raucous laughter. When my card is read aloud people immediately erupt with cheers. The inherent conflict and the double entendre of Hannah struggling with my genitals is just too much for everyone. My card is chosen...I raise my fist to the sky...another black card comes home to papa.

Note that any card with "My" usually refers to the JUDGE; thus (using an Apples to Apples card) "My bathroom" refers to the judge's bathroom, not yours.

It's definitely a game best played late at night after the kids have gone to bed. It was definitely a good idea to have your teenage son leave after those first two cards - trust me, there are FAR worse than those two in the deck.

The answer doesn't have to be gross to win. One example:

Black card (I don't remember the exact words - it's in the expansion): In the future, the fall of America will be blamed on _________ .

My winning answer: Republicans. (I guessed that it was a liberal judge.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devious Devices
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! Glad to find fellow fans of the game

If you like Cards Against Humanity, and you are looking for something new but similar - check out Epic Picnic!

Ages 17+ and 3-8 player. The game is easy to learn, mentally stimulating and generally offensive.

The Kickstarter campaign is going on now!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.