United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the base game last night. We love it! And that scares me haha.

I don't need to buy every expansion for every game that I own, but for games that we really enjoy, I buy EVERYTHING!

Arkham Horror? We own every freaking expansion. Runebound? EVERYTHING! Meh!

I'm wondering if I should just stop now... Do you think the game will continue for another year or two and then taper off, or will this thing go on for years, releasing a hundred small expansions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
I just played the base game last night. We love it! And that scares me haha.

I don't need to buy every expansion for every game that I own, but for games that we really enjoy, I buy EVERYTHING!

Arkham Horror? We own every freaking expansion. Runebound? EVERYTHING! Meh!

I'm wondering if I should just stop now... Do you think the game will continue for another year or two and then taper off, or will this thing go on for years, releasing a hundred small expansions?


my guess is that FFG will keep releasing expansions as long as they are making money on it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game will continue for about 2-3 years of expansions. My view is that the game isn't very configurable yet
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There has to be some kind of limit based on the source material, as massive as it is. But of course, they're also adding new characters like Thalin (from Middle Earth Quest), so presumably they could milk it for a while with things like that, but I would think there would come a point when it's been squeezed dry. That could be quite a while, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Just guessing -

With the 1st Adventure Pack cycle complete, 1st big expansion just released and the 2nd Adventure Pack cycle in the bag -- I would guess they are probably almost finished playtesting 2nd big expansion/3rd Adventure Pack cycle at this time.

I'd say you'll get at least that much -- and if Khazad-Dum sells well, probably at least a 3rd big expansion/4th AP cycle.

Lots of fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
There has to be some kind of limit based on the source material, as massive as it is. But of course, they're also adding new characters like Thalin (from Middle Earth Quest), so presumably they could milk it for a while with things like that, but I would think there would come a point when it's been squeezed dry. That could be quite a while, though.


They'll just start doing new versions of existing characters then.

This is one of FFGs top selling games, the other LCGs have between 4 and 8 cycles and 2 and 6 big expansions each. I don't foresee this one being any different.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
There has to be some kind of limit based on the source material, as massive as it is. But of course, they're also adding new characters like Thalin (from Middle Earth Quest), so presumably they could milk it for a while with things like that, but I would think there would come a point when it's been squeezed dry. That could be quite a while, though.

I think the lifespan of the game will depend more on player interest than on material. Once they've done all the main characters once, they'll make new versions of them. Maybe they'll even acquire the rights to other Tolkein works to expand the timeframe. I think it's more likely the game will die out when the players grow tired of it and/or the game gets overburdened with new rules/mechanics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably elements of The Hobbit are already in the expansions/Core set (trolls and the like)...

but what about the Simarillion? Could they issue expansions to represent a jump forward in time to after the War of the Ring.

And then they can always go floppy and do the War of the Ring period itself (zzzz) but hopefully elements of it that are at the periphery and don't slavishly follow the books.

Sadly, I have to say that as someone of retirement age, who has not led a clean and healthy life (board and card games aside!) I am unlikely to see the last expansion for this game issued before I'm shipped off to the Grey Havens!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Sadly, I have to say that as someone of retirement age, who has not led a clean and healthy life (board and card games aside!) I am unlikely to see the last expansion for this game issued before I'm shipped off to the Grey Havens!


I call dibs on your Unexpected Couragedevil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

but what about the Simarillion?


IIRC I vaguely recall someone saying they don't have the rights to that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An LCG is an ongoing model. There are only two reasons they'd stop putting out more:

1. No longer profitable (this is determined by the players)
2. License expires and is not renewed

Otherwise, expect to see an unending parade each month.

After a VERY long time there could be issues from running out of card ideas but that's way way in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Darksbane wrote:
Chou4555 wrote:

but what about the Simarillion?


IIRC I vaguely recall someone saying they don't have the rights to that.


The Tolkien Trust has never sold the Silmarillion rights, and Christopher Tolkien has never shown interest in doing so (basically, they don't need the money). This may change after he passes away, but I wouldn't count on it.

I do note that Iron Crown's 'Middle-earth' card game included 'Alatar' and 'Pallando' (from 'Unfinished Tales') by special arrangement with the estate, but this seems to have been a very narrow license indeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Chou4555 wrote:
Sadly, I have to say that as someone of retirement age, who has not led a clean and healthy life (board and card games aside!) I am unlikely to see the last expansion for this game issued before I'm shipped off to the Grey Havens!


I call dibs on your Unexpected Couragedevil


I could use another Northern Tracker over here...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Once they've done all the main characters once, they'll make new versions of them.


Is that right? I'm not familiar with these LCGs, really. I suppose that would work. And presumably some of the same scenarios/quests could work in different ways.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
An LCG is an ongoing model. There are only two reasons they'd stop putting out more:

1. No longer profitable (this is determined by the players)
2. License expires and is not renewed

Otherwise, expect to see an unending parade each month.

After a VERY long time there could be issues from running out of card ideas but that's way way in the future.


A good summary. It's important to note, though, that if that "unending parade" should start to produce noticeably poorer quality content or if they introduce player cards ruin the careful balance of the game it's demise could come sooner rather than later.

It's obvious that each LCG does have a set cradle-to-grave life cycle due to mechanical, content, and license limits. Game of Thrones is very obviously much further down that life cycle than Lord of the Rings and it seems to be moving slowly towards its end, but it is of course not a perfect comparison either. And having said that it's easy to imagine Game of Throne still being around for another 4-6 cycles without too much difficulty.

Magic is of course 20 years old now and still going perfectly strong, though Magic by definition has an unending source of flavor material which is not the case for the more narrowly focused LCGs. Magic also has a robust system of cycling cards out, which the LCG model will probably try to avoid due to the perceived cost to players of having to keep buying to stay up on the power curve.

The LCG model is fascinating to me and still relatively new in a lot of ways so I'll continue to follow it with great interest. The Lord of the Rings LCG is breaking a lot of new ground conceptually and continuing to support it will be a real test of Fantasy Flight's design capabilities.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
[q="dboeren"]
It's obvious that each LCG does have a set cradle-to-grave life cycle due to mechanical, content, and license limits. Game of Thrones is very obviously much further down that life cycle than Lord of the Rings and it seems to be moving slowly towards its end, but it is of course not a perfect comparison either. And having said that it's easy to imagine Game of Throne still being around for another 4-6 cycles without too much difficulty.

Unless sales start lagging I wouldn't expect there to be any type of 'life cycle' for any of the LCGs. If you include the CCG in then the GoT card game has been going on for 10 years now, source material is not a limiting factor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu LCG has been around for about the same time too with no end in sight. I can't say for Game of Thrones, but only a few characters have more than one version in Call of Cthulhu, and I believe they are all Ancuent Ones like Cthulhu, Hastur, Shub Niggurath, etc...

If the quality falls? That's where the "becomes unprofitable" comes in. Fall too much and people stop buying.

The big question on my mind is whether the co-op games will have the staying power of the competitive LCGs or if people will get tired of them more quickly without a human opponent who provides more variety than new quest cards do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
dboeren wrote:

The big question on my mind is whether the co-op games will have the staying power of the competitive LCGs or if people will get tired of them more quickly without a human opponent who provides more variety than new quest cards do.


I agree with this, however I'd make the argument that cooperation is a fundamentally more appealing instinct in humans than competition! (Contrary to what American popular culture would have you believe!) and that makes a cooperative game very enthralling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
roborob wrote:
Chou4555 wrote:
Sadly, I have to say that as someone of retirement age, who has not led a clean and healthy life (board and card games aside!) I am unlikely to see the last expansion for this game issued before I'm shipped off to the Grey Havens!


I call dibs on your Unexpected Couragedevil


I could use another Northern Tracker over here...


Hey! I've not croaked yet! But does anyone want my Battles of Westeros plus expansions? That was a very misguided buy on my part! Lol!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
roborob wrote:
Chou4555 wrote:
Sadly, I have to say that as someone of retirement age, who has not led a clean and healthy life (board and card games aside!) I am unlikely to see the last expansion for this game issued before I'm shipped off to the Grey Havens!


I call dibs on your Unexpected Couragedevil


I could use another Northern Tracker over here...


Hey! I've not croaked yet! But does anyone want my Battles of Westeros plus expansions? That was a very misguided buy on my part! Lol!


If the price is free, I'll take it... whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you passing by Crystal Palace, South East London, in the next few months, drop in, but me a beer or two, and you can take BoW away!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
If you passing by Crystal Palace, South East London, in the next few months, drop in, but me a beer or two, and you can take BoW away!!


Sadly, I have no current plans to do any traveling. It's just not in the budget...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a budget??!! Wow gulp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.