Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried translating the french file for the solitaire varient but have some issues. Has anyone else tried this variation? Perhaps someone understands and can translate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Winkowitsch
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
Pray and Work
badge
“Men who do not know what is true take care to hold fast to what is certain.” Giambattista Vico, The New Science, Section II.9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would greatly appreciate a translation as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could try to translate it in english if you want...as soon as i will have the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great indeed, mercy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have translated and submitted it here but it is still on pending status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My translation was approved (see files section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo game with questions
Thanks Mr. Dubois for translating this to English! I played my first game tonight and though I think I got most of it correct, there are a couple of things that don't seem right.

First, I never used the Rest track and as a result, Muret always went first and never 'traveled via sea port'. Since there was no other movement indicated on the solo table, he never left Rome till turn Ten when the Stupor Mundi action happened (of course his discs are red).

Second, I don't understand why he used the Orient Track if he never traveled and got extra cash bonus via travel. It seems like he could have advanced on the Riddle or Messenger track or Papal Library track to more advantage.

He always got a manuscript and a cube each turn so this kept him ahead in the cube race. Since he took the highest book possible, I found it easy to grab a book with one or two action tokens the whole game, keeping up in that race.

The solo instructions don't mention Charity but I paid it to the Cardinal when I had more money than he.

Lastly when rolling a 6 sided dice I gave him knowledge points ROUNDED DOWN so if a 3 was rolled, he only got 1 point.

I'm curious how others experience the Solo rules posted here. I think this is a great start, but may need a few minor tweaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buck380 wrote:
Thanks Mr. Dubois for translating this to English! I played my first game tonight and though I think I got most of it correct, there are a couple of things that don't seem right.

I'm curious how others experience the Solo rules posted here. I think this is a great start, but may need a few minor tweaks.

There's definitely something wrong. By those posted rules, he can only ever move into the 5 port cities Rome, Napoli, Palermo etc. He can't ever reach a Franciscan city, yet there's an action on the list for it.

I don't think it's a translation issue, I don't see anything in the original French either.

I think there needs to be a "move to an adjacent city and interact with it" action in the list. If more than one city is possible, choose the one with an event tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Steve. Perhaps when the Cardinal takes a manuscript, he needs to move to the closest region of the same color? If there is a tie to the closest colored space, he will move to the one that offeres the most benefits. I will try this again tonight with this modification. It will make sense with him moving around more and will add value to the Orient track as he will get more money during his moves this way.

BTW I'm also tweaking the cube and manuscript layouts as suggested from 2 player suggestions on the Variants forum. I'm using 7 black cubes and 12 yellow cubes in the bag (instead of 5 black and 14 yellow in original rules). I also am using only 1 set of the level 1 manuscripts, 1 set of level 2 books and one less set of value 3 manuscripts. This way the value 8 Vulgari book will appear. In a 2 player game only one book per level is out per round so trimming the overall pool will help scale the library to small games.

I'll try this tonight and let you know how it comes out. I want to get a couple more solo games in to get a feel of the game before teaching it to my wife. I am surprised how much I'm learning after playing 2 complete games within the last 3 months! It's different than being taught when you have to look everything up but at least it sticks better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the variant again tonight and found that it does work if you move the Cardinal to the nearest matching color of the highest manuscript. He is a Cardinal so he cannot make money in the various cities but he does gain knowledge. He also earns Charity at the end of each round and if the player is poorer, he gets his 10d from the Bank.
If he has to travel more than 3 actions to obtain a book, he does not pick up the manuscript. He also pays for the yellow and red cubes with the appropriate money. I'll post more adjustments in the variant's forum under the Solo varient from now on. I also recommend skipping the Round 10 Mundi voting and instead use the round as a Canticle round instead. Since the Mundi is an auction it doesn't work in a solo game.

Lastly, I don't like rolling the die every round so I just give the Cardinal an extra knowledge point 4/5 when he uses the Knowledge action depending on if he is behind or ahead the player on the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you because i am not the author of the variant and i have never tested it.

I understand your issues and the "Spend actions on the Orient track" shouldn't have been included in possible moves of Muret since "Friars and Cardinals can not undertake the Orient action".

IMHO, two others points mentioned doesn't work in solo :
- messenger track because it is the most timing track of the game
- Stupor Mundi because of the bidding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant provides incompete data.Has anyone actually came up with one that is actually playable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc tencé
France
flag msg tools
hello

tell me about this solo version.

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136295

marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.