Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Evening! I am new to this site, and was wondering a few things.

First of all, Where do I go to place all of the games that I own on my profile?

Second of all, what is Geek Gold, and how does it work?

Third, how do all the different badges work?

I was starting to look through the forums, but I quickly discovered that there is LOTS of information on this site, and it was going to be very difficult to find answers to specific questions!!

Thank you for all your help in advance!!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Many of your questions can be answered here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_FAQ

Microbadges cost 8 GeekGold.

Your first one is on me... enjoy your time here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Belli, the ever-generous Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

This is usually very useful: New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. I'll take a stab at these.

Quote:
First of all, Where do I go to place all of the games that I own on my profile?

The easy way to do this is to look at the one-line results after you search for a game. There's a column labeled "Status". If you click on that, you can mark it as Owned, Previously owned, Wanted in trade, For trade, etc.

At the bottom of each games page, there are also some options to "Add a copy to your collection, or edit your information.

Quote:
Second of all, what is Geek Gold, and how does it work?

Geekgold is the currency of the Geek. You can earn it through contributing to the site (pictures, reviews, etc.), you might occasionally get geekgold tips and you can also get it by supporting the site financially.

Quote:

Avatars, microbadges, geekbadges, overtext, etc can be purchased with Geekgold.

edit: Quadrupal ninja'd. I've gotta learn to type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BoardGameGeek!

The fastest way to enter you collection is to go to My Geek / Collection (top menu) then use Add a Game.

GeekGold is BGG's virtual currency. You get it for adding to the site in various ways, including helping other users. We tip each other with GG using the button. You can use GG to buy an avatar, microbadges (the little badges below my avatar) and so forth. See: For new users: How-to earn GeekGold.

Most of the badges are just to show you're interested in something. A few have links to various things like your collection or my board gaming group. A few badges you only get for doing something special or being awarded the badge by and Admin or a few special groups. You can get some special badges right now by entering the The Mountains of Madness - January 5th - 19th, 2012 roleplaying game. Do this right now since the entry period ends soon!

Questions about specific games should be placed in the forums on the game pages. Use the search bar at the top of the page to search for games. For recommendations, use the Recommendations forum. For General Gaming questions, use that forum. For chit chat use--wait for it--Chit Chat. However, for any discussion involving Religion, Sex, or Politics, discussion is only allowed in that forum, often abbreviated RSP.

The site is pretty safe, so feel free to mouse around looking for tool tips and try clicking on things.

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who gave me the advice and hints to using BGG! I do have another question directed to the post by Darrin Williams. I was wondering how you are able to "highlight" specific parts of someone's post in order to answer certain questions. (or make it easy to reference what you are replying to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click QuickQuote (like I just did) or just plain Quote and you'll see how it works with the "q" tags.

brdk18 wrote:
Thank you to everyone who gave me the advice and hints to using BGG! I do have another question directed to the post by Darrin Williams. I was wondering how you are able to "highlight" specific parts of someone's post in order to answer certain questions. (or make it easy to reference what you are replying to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:

Everyone mostly answered your questions, but this could use more explanation.

You currently have one badge: BGG-NEWUSER. That is automatically applied to every new account and sticks around for a specified amount of time (a few weeks, I think) and then automatically disappears.

The other badges fall into several categories. The BGG-NEWUSER badge is in the style of a "GeekBadge" or just "Badge". I have one, where I've inserted an ASCII arrow. The GeekBadge allows you to put in any text you want. The UberGeekBadge replaces the GeekBadge and allows you to place an image of (about) the same size as the GeekBadge. The user jmilum has an UberGeekBadge that says "TheThirdMan":

J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

The large, square picture is an avatar, and should generally be your first purchase. People will recognize your avatar as much as or more than your username.

Below the avatar is a row of 5 microbadges. People can have tens or hundreds of these, but can only display 5 at a time. You can purchase them for whatever interest you, things about you, etc. And you are also sometimes awarded badges for things you accomplish at BGG. Such as how many posts you have, or even random things like entering the free giveaway drawings that pop up occasionally.

There are a few additional badges in the "GeekBadge" style that are awarded by the administrators. For example, jmilum (above) has the BGG ADMIN badge since he's one of the admins. Pete Belli designed a game within the BGG database, so he has the GAMEDESIGNER badge:

Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

The row of numbers indicates years that a particular user donated at least $15 to support BGG. Pete Belli has supported since 2007, jmilum since 2005, and I've been off and on.

Hope that helps. Badges of various types can be purchased by clicking on "My Geek" at the top and going to the "User Profile" at the left, halfway down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone with all the useful information! I am slowly but surely gathering information to navigate my way through this site without much trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question that I hope someone can answer! I have noticed in many threads, that when someone mentions a game, it is linked to the actual game page. When I mention a game, it is not linked. How do I make these "links"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
When you reply, you'll see a drop-down box in the header "Insert Geek Link". If you click that, it will give you a huge choice of options. If you pick 'board game' a dialog box will pop up and allow you to type in a game name and then click "Go" to insert it in the post.

You can then see how that is coded and get gameID from the game pages and type it in without the drop-down if that's more your thing.

This method works for all kinds of linking: threads, Blogs, files, guilds, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!! Now off to play Pandemic solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.