Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to share a warm-fuzzy feeling that I got last night that I know all game designers will understand.

Last night I did my first play-test of my most recent design project. My friends found the rules easy to understand and engaging. They played the game with gusto and enjoyment. They schemed and strategized. In short, they treated my game (cobbled together from random game components) as if it were a real game. It was beautiful to see a game that I created work so well the first time through. The best part? I didn't win. One of my friends figured out the strategy quickly enough that I lost by a very small margin. I could not have asked for a better play-testing session.

The game still need a bit more work and one or two things need better codification, but simply knowing that I have created a game which is fun in its own right gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Great post Timothy

Im really glad that it has come together for you like this, has anyone asked about plahying it another time? From what I understand that is the best litmus test !

Has the game got a bgg entry? What is it about?

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

Has the game got a bgg entry?

As much as it's cool that it's all come together (it's a great feeling, eh? ;-), it probably shouldn't have a BGG entry yet - according to the game submission guide:

Quote:
For self-published games and user-designer efforts, a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form. If details about the game are still being resolved and the rules are still being changed over the course of the play-testing, the game is not sufficiently finalized for a BGG entry.

I expect this is probably there to prevent the DB getting cluttered with half-finished or never-published games; as good as they may be, if they're only available to three people and one of them is the designer, it's not that useful to have an entry on a public database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter horog
msg tools
mbmbmb
Heh, i always get beat up at my own game... Is it a good thing? :I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats great that you had an excellent first run through, now do 50 more and hope everything runs as smoothly. Also don't forget to playtest with people who don't really know you. GL and hope it plays just as great on your hundredth play as it did on your first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading your post made me tear up Congratulations, it sounds like you have a candidate for going cardboard there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
Great post Timothy

Im really glad that it has come together for you like this, has anyone asked about plahying it another time? From what I understand that is the best litmus test !

Has the game got a bgg entry? What is it about?

sam

Thanks! The game is pretty simple and I have been playtesting it with a deck of playing cards and a few miscellaneous tokens from other games. The basic gist is that it is a secret bidding game where you have an incentive structure that rewards bidding high, bidding low, pulling out ahead, or lagging behind. All players bid on the same set of objectives which are worth victory points (one at a time) and also accrue victory point tokens.

I will probably theme it as Greek demigods competing for the favor of Zeus by passing through classical trials. This could change though.

Warbringerd wrote:
Thats great that you had an excellent first run through, now do 50 more and hope everything runs as smoothly. Also don't forget to playtest with people who don't really know you. GL and hope it plays just as great on your hundredth play as it did on your first.

A very good point, though at the moment I am not too worried. The game is simple enough that I designed it in one day and only had to make minor modifications as the game progressed. Once I start adding objectives that have different scoring or gameplay rules then playtesting will be more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.