BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Another question from teacher starting a gaming club rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Buck

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
I'm a 5th grade teacher at an at risk, inner city school and starting a game club. I found some great advice here on the forums, but couldn't find one question. Money is so tight at our school, I'll have to fund it out of pocket. Does anyone know of any places that offer any educator discounts? Maybe damaged, or seconds?
Thanks for any help or information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain games has a grant program you might want to check out. Maybe this would be a source of some games for you. Good luck!

http://www.funagain.com/control/rc?p=grants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasbuck wrote:
I'm a 5th grade teacher at an at risk, inner city school and starting a game club. I found some great advice here on the forums, but couldn't find one question. Money is so tight at our school, I'll have to fund it out of pocket. Does anyone know of any places that offer any educator discounts? Maybe damaged, or seconds?
Thanks for any help or information!

You don't have a location listed. Put your location, and there's a good chance that you'll have 20 free games from the generous geeks in your area within the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would contact some service clubs and see if there are any funds available.

I know one of the things I have done is put on some inservices for teachers in this area. There is often a small honorarium (it isn't much) but I always put it into my game collection and invest it in different games my students will use. I don't know if that is an option.

If there is a game convention in your area, there may be an auction where you can pick up some games a little cheaper than normal.

I know I had some help from one of the local games store in my area when I started a Magic the Gathering group. He game me his promo packs and that got the group going. I was happy to have his help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Visit the local game stores and ask if they can help you in any way. It never hurts to ask.

Also see if there are second hand shops around. They might not have a great selection of games but they might still be able to help you with a base stock.

Furthermore you could make some games yourself:
The Resistance could probably be played with just a normal deck of cards.
Dog is not difficult to make yourself either. 4x4 pawns, 2 decks of cards and a printout board...
Blokus - With a bit of patience and work you can definitely make those tiles out of cardboard yourself.
Can't Stop
Liar's Dice

If they're a hit and you've ever got money to spare you can still buy a retail version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Buck

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
Thanks for the tips! I updated my profile, but am in Louisville, Kentucky. I'm trying to find higher level thinking games, such as Catan, and things that are expandable to keep evolving. It's a 10-11 year old age range, but they are pretty high level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shore
United States
Georgetown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure if you would be willing to entertain a weekend gaming day that doesn't happen at the school, but The Louisville WHI and Board Game Group meets to play boardgames on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month.

Several of us bring our kids ranging in age from 8 - 14 that all love playing games like Catan. We have a group of 4 - 6 kids and we all have more games than you could imagine.

We meet at:

BluegrassMagic GameShop - google directions
5629 Outer Loop,
Louisville, KY 40219

502-964-1170

Checkout our meetup site:
cardboardgamers.com

We'd welcome more kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Buck

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
Thank you for the invitation! Once we get off the ground I will talk to my parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.