Popular Tags: [View All]
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-ordered the game as it sounds fantastic!

I read in the Designer's notes a dismissal of the Black Sea as an area of operations, is it right to infer from that the Med is portrayed in the game?

I have a grandfather that served in U-boats from 1940 until having to abandon ship in May 1944 from U-371 off the coast of Tangiers, hence out of personal interest I would love the ability to mimic Med missions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, if he survived FOUR YEARS in U-Boats he had a charmed life. Did he ever write anything resembling a memoir ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact he did. It was published by a German Veteran's company. Unfortunately not in English, although I did translate it myself when I was less busy.

I was fortunate to grow up very close with him as he was an avid photographer all his life, including during the war, and has many photo albums and slides of that particular time.

I had the luxury of being at a Veteran's meeting with him and his old crew in Germany, to which one of my grandfather's American friends from St.Louis also made the trip. He was crew on the USS MENGES which had been torpedoed by U-410 or 371 (can't recall off the top of my head) in the war. Great times and very heart warming to see them together! Much beer and singing of songs!! My grandfather also made the trip to the States at least once to attend their reunions.

Unfortunately all the men from that generation are all slowly passing away now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your preorder!

Amazing that your grandfather survived. I just finished reading, "Iron Coffins" by Werner (a thoroughly gripping account and one of the best reads I've had in a long time) and I still can't believe he survived himself.

As to your specific question, YES -- the Mediterranean is one of the nine patrol assignments included in the game (besides special missions). You will see it listed on our product home page here: http://www.consimpress.com/the-hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super! Don't know how I missed it, thanks for the response! Yes, he really was lucky, as he told me, from his original boat, only he and his CO survived as they were posted off at the time together (Grandfather went to Petty Officer's school and further coursing, CO was done his tour). His old boat was sunk with all hands not long after that. Any U-Boot survivor has pure luck to thank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
Super! Don't know how I missed it, thanks for the response! Yes, he really was lucky, as he told me, from his original boat, only he and his CO survived as they were posted off at the time together (Grandfather went to Petty Officer's school and further coursing, CO was done his tour). His old boat was sunk with all hands not long after that. Any U-Boot survivor has pure luck to thank!

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to get over the Iron Coffins memoirs I read recently. Unbelievable stuff. Your grandfather was EXTREMELY fortunate. Several years ago I had the opportunity to travel to Kiel and tour a German U-Boat there (I spent a few summers working in Hamburg at the time). I really wish I could go back there and do the tour again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.