Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having long ago discovered GF9's econo-base line of bases, which you could order by the Chinese Take-Out container, I never thought I would again have to worry about bases.

Alas, GF9 does not appear to have them any more, and I am about half-way through a game where I need at least quasi-matching tiles.

Anyone know of a good supplier for laser-cut hdf (hardboard) hex tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What size?

Try contacting: http://www.bluepantherllc.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
What size?

I am specifically looking for 35mm for this project, but mostly I am looking to (sigh) replace my supplier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey.

Try contacting Martin at www.warbases.co.uk

He'll cut you any size hex (mm or inches) in 2mm / 3mm or 6mm mdf.

Cheaper than anything I've found in the US and the postage is more than reasonable.

I've ordered from him in the past and will do again. Tell him 'Mike in Texas' sent you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:

Try contacting Martin at www.warbases.co.uk

That looks like about what I need, alas, it appears with shipping to be about 4 times as expensive as the GF9 bases were.

Perhaps I was just spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually pretty easy to make tiles on a table saw, if you've got a table saw or a friend that has one, using a pretty straight-forward template. They take longer than squares would, but last time I did it I turned out something like 100 settlers-sized tiles in an hour or so (might even be including making the template). I imagine smaller tiles or a bigger/better template could go even quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed -- I happen to have a full woodshop, but the effort in cutting and cleaning up 400*6 edges is nothing like dropping $30, and getting a couple of Chinese take-out containers full of laser-cut perfection.

jk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
knodel wrote:
Agreed -- I happen to have a full woodshop, but the effort in cutting and cleaning up 400*6 edges is nothing like dropping $30, and getting a couple of Chinese take-out containers full of laser-cut perfection.

jk

Sounds like an excuse to get a laser cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
knodel wrote:

jk

Sounds like an excuse to get a laser cutter.

You'd need to cut a whole ton of hexes to make up the difference for a quality laser cutter- you could buy several top-of-the-line cabinet saws for the price of some of the machines I've used ($18,000+). Also, table saws don't burn the edges.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epilog has some great lasers that if you catch them on sale, you can get them in the 9-13k range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some news on the availability of GF9 econo bases here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=249914

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
Epilog has some great lasers that if you catch them on sale, you can get them in the 9-13k range.

DO they come with a discount coupon for a divorce lawyer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She has more than that worth of shoes and dresses she never wears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but there is conflicting information here : http://fanaticus.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=12238

And they are not answering my email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no Econobases from GF9. Anyone know of a (cheap) domestic US source for 35mm mdf cut hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.