• [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been known to spread the word about both Dr. Who, and The Walking Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Walking Dead, The League, and Community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
These days, I'm trying to get more people into Community. Gotta save it once it comes back from hiatus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The IT Crowd. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
These days, I'm trying to get more people into Community. Gotta save it once it comes back from hiatus!

Six seasons and a movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in Louie.

If you like shows that make you incredibly uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
2. Community
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. Breaking Bad
5. Game of Thrones

Almost making the cut...

Louie
Venture Brothers (would make the cut if new episodes ever came out)
The League
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Fringe

Person of Interest

Game of Thrones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing currently, but plenty of classics I'm always pushing:

Arrested Development
Sports Night
Freaks and Geeks
Studio 60
Firefly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
The shows I keep imploring people to watch, if the don't already:

1 - Doctor Who: The most enjoyable slice of cake on television, a giddy whirlwind of imagination, brilliant acting and superb storytelling. A legendary show at an all time peak.

2 - Game of Thrones: The Sopranos meets Middle earth. The most grown-up fantasy show of all time, and a masterpiece of adaptation. Utterly engrossing.

3 - Fringe: Easy to lose interest after 3 or 4 episodes of what looks like an X-Files copy, saved only by John Noble's towering performance as Walter Bishop, but then about 1/3 of the way through season 1, the story arc starts to come together and the show proves to be something far more interesting and exciting than it appeared to be. By the end of season 1 its essential stuff.

Deffinately these three are on my list. I recommend Dr. Who constantly, and no one will even listen because it was "that geeky sci-fi, strange, odd, scary, campy show from the 70's, or 80's, or 90's (depending on who I talk to) and it's not worth my time" sort of excuse. Oh well, their loss.

MyTwoCents wrote:

4 - Entourage: Almost finished now, but well worth a watch. A light, frothy dramedy about Hollywood made special by Jermey Piven's career-best role as agent Ari Gold, and Kevin Dillon's wonderful Johnny Drama. A pleasure.

5 - Mad Men: The best soap opera ever made (because thats what it is). Also the best looking sow on TV, taking a lot of visual cues from Hitchcock. The history of the 1960s told via the advertising industry, great, intelligent television.

Don't know a single thing about Entourage, and Mad Men, I absolutely can't stand. Best looking Sow on TV? yea... i agree with that statement

as for my final two? Hmm, that's a bit tough.

I would recommend House M.D. because Hugh Laurie is brilliant, but the show does fall into a formula pretty quickly.

I would also add "How I met your mother"

as much as I love Big Bang Theory, It's starting to show it's age really quickly, How I met your mother has been on longer, and still appears to be going strong with fresh ideas, jokes and what not.

I am getting the sense that BBT will slowly start to wash/rinse/repeat.

The only other I can think of is Walking Dead, which after a ho-hum first season, started to get it's stride in season 2...

Edit: Oh yes.. Breaking Bad, Forgot Breaking Bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdberry wrote:

This show is hilarious, yet I can't get my wife to even glance at it. Much funnier then Big Bang Theory imho.

I love the "bank robbery" episode, or the episode where Moss tells everyone Jen is dead. Or the one where they go to see "Gay" a Gay Musical.

"I'm Disabled!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misfits
Community
American Horror Story
Game of Thrones
Firefly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louie - the Ricky Gervais cameos alone...
Mad Men - every episode is a punch in the gut, but it's the good kind of hurting.
Boardwalk Empire - daaaaaaamn, I love me some Harrow, Manny and Chalky.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - very uneven, but also some of the very best comedy out there.
Beavis and Butthead - pretty consistently damn funny, with the one exception of Drones. The rat episode is a particular favorite.
Walking Dead - also uneven, and too talky in places, but once in a while has the visceral punch I'm looking for.
I'm also wishing The Ricky Gervais Show would come back. I need me some cartoon Karl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious...

Poll
Have you seen Community, the NBC sitcom?
Never
Once
A couple times
Many times
      97 answers
Poll created by BookandGame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Francis
Canada
Morse
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:

Beavis and Butthead - pretty consistently damn funny, with the one exception of Drones. The rat episode is a particular favorite.
agreed "Is this The Real Housewives of Detroit?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three I am recommending at current are
1 Doctor Who
2 Walking Dead
3 Game of Thrones

To a lesser extent

4 Torchwood (although its return looks sketchy)
5 Firefly (even sketchier)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Who
Fringe
New Girl
Walking Dead

the rest of the shows I watch are also being watched by my friends, so there's no reason to preacha bout 'em...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Who is good stuff.
Burn Notice is a favorite (gotta love Bruce Campbell).
Phineas and Ferb is a guilty pleasure I enjoy with my kids.
I still find Colbert Report & Daily Show fun to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Castle
Big Bang Theory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringe
Walking Dead
Doctor Who
Flip Men
Eureka (sadly another victim of SyFy's growing stupidity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psych
Hell on Wheels
Breaking Bad
Once Upon A Time
The League

I'd say Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, but everyone already watches those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock
Spiral
Fringe
Walking Dead
Lost Girl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Deadwood
2. Game of Thrones
3. Community
4. Flight of the Conchords
5. The Extras

About Walking Dead, this article sums my opinion perfectly:
Quote:
The Walking Dead is the only show in America that all of my friends watch despite the fact that we all mostly hate it. I've seen that phenomenon with reality TV shows (the audience of Jersey Shore is made exclusively of people who only watch on the off chance that one of the characters might choke to death in the middle of an episode -- but I'll let Dave talk about that), but never with a serious, scripted television show on a network known mostly for its quality.

This isn't the place for me to talk about why this show is bad (the pacing, unlikable characters, not enough zombies, a lack of fresh ideas, child actors, what's-her-name, Rick's terrible accent), and I know that taste is subjective. Just because all of my friends watch the show begrudgingly doesn't mean the rest of the world does. That said, we have a Forum where people can talk about movies, TV shows, music, life and whatever else they're interested in. Everyone's usually pretty articulate and thoughtful, it's nice in there. Here are some quotes from various folks in the thread dedicated to The Walking Dead:

"Why are the writers doing their best to make us hate the main characters?"

"Man, this show is getting more and more soap opera-y every week. They really need to get back on the road because it's starting to stagnate."

"I was trying not to dislike Dale and Andrea, I've failed."

"I think at this point, the words that come to mind when I think of Lori are 'useless' and 'no redeeming qualities.' That's probably not good for your leading lady."

"Yes, I do hate the shit out of most everybody."

It's not like we have a special section of our forums for people to hate a TV show. Those are people in a thread reserved for fans of The Walking Dead! And the weird thing is that they are fans. The people who don't like the show don't watch it, but the people who love this show hate it. Go to the comments section over at the AV Club whenever they recap a new episode, and you'll find that most of those commenters are similarly pissed off at the show. The show that they keep watching. Every. Single. Week.

And why do they do that? One word: Hope. And now for some more words: Everyone who watches The Walking Dead isn't watching it because it's good; they're watching it because it can be good (and because Daryl rules). When I heard about this show, I was on board because I thought, "This could be either a show about people fighting zombies OR a show about interesting, diverse strangers trying to set up a new life at the end of the world, and also there are zombies in the background." It is, unfortunately, neither of those shows (it's a show where 12 unlikable people get into tense whisper-fights inches from each other's faces and between two and four zombies get killed every episode to remind people that HEY ZOMBIES). But I keep watching because, one day, it might be one of those better shows I envisioned when the show was first announced.

Some people watch because the graphic novel on which the show is based is awesome, and they're holding out hope that, one day, the show might be as good as the comics. Some people keep watching because it has all of the ingredients of a good show (money, the creative freedom a network like AMC allows, great source material, lots of characters, a liberal amount of side-boob, zombies), and even though it hasn't embraced those ingredients yet, it still might some day.

The Walking Dead is successful because people are tuning in but watching a different, better show in their imaginations, every single week. We, as a television-viewing audience, have never been this optimistic.

Cracked 64: The Top 8 of Everything of 2011 - TV Show | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/cracked-64-top-8-everything-of-2011/T...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.