Popular Tags: [View All]
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I remembered a game from my youth, but can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

It was a naval battle game for two players that probably came out in the late 80's. The board was a large piece of blue vinyl with white ink. The units were assorted navy boats made out of cheap cardboard colored yellow and red.

Gameplay consisted of moving through across a grid and around islands. Whenever you got close enough to the other player you could bomb his o her ships by flipping plastic chips at them. I think there were hidden submarines too.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I have fond memories of hours sprawled out on the living room floor over this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be Torpedo Run? No chits, but it does have plastic chips that are launched at your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Torpedo run does sound a lot like what you are describing, minus the cardboard boats. It had plastic ships with rubber bands in them that would cause pieces to fly out of the target ships when shot with the disks.

Super ginormous box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, Torpedo Run ain't it.

Conceptually they look very similar, but the game I remember had cheaper quality ships, really just flat punchouts. The firing mechanic was that you laid one plastic chip down near your boat and pressed the edge with another chip until it flipped/flicked at the opponents boat sort of like the drinking game where you flip bottle caps into a glass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Grothe
Canada
flag msg tools
I had this game when I was a kid and have been recently searching for it. I think it was just called "Naval Battle". Have many fond memories of playing the game.

I can't find any references to this awesome game so I might just build a web/mobile clone once I'm done with my current project.

Too bad the game has virtually vanished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tammy billa
msg tools
yeah its really a very bad game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.