Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure out what to do with genotype cards that nobody can buy. If none of the players have the right DNA to match half of the genotype's, can a player just take the card and add it to his or her fossil record? That would seem awfully gamey, so I assume no. Still, that means that at points, the game will have several gene-tokens on a genotype, and players will have to race to get the DNA to take that genotype just for the sake of the gene tokens.

Am I thinking this through correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still take the card for the gene tokens. If it isn't playable on one of your species (or as a new species) then you just discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you can buy the genotype card exclusively for the genes, discarding the card without further effect. You may not express the card nor play it to your fossil record unless you have a species with at least half the genotype DNA. At least, that is the way I have been playing. Genotypes are occasionally useful, but most are passed over or discarded, or played directly to the fossil record for quick points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Momerath wrote:
Genotypes are occasionally useful, but most are passed over or discarded, or played directly to the fossil record for quick points.

One can play the so-called Beginner's Game and not use Genotype cards at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its buried in the rules somewhere, if you have the creature with the SILLOUETTE shown on the genotype card is already on the board AND you have min HALF the genes shown on the Genotype card, you can take the card and bank it in the fossil record.

Otherwise you could always take it, keep the genes, and discard the card out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Momerath wrote:
Genotypes are occasionally useful, but most are passed over or discarded, or played directly to the fossil record for quick points.

I wish we did that for our first game. It was the 4th day of a con and god knows which new game I played that weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Its buried in the rules somewhere, if you have the creature with the SILLOUETTE shown on the genotype card is already on the board AND you have min HALF the genes shown on the Genotype card, you can take the card and bank it in the fossil record.

Otherwise you could always take it, keep the genes, and discard the card out of the game.

Rules Section 7.4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:
Momerath wrote:

I wish we did that for our first game. It was the 4th day of a con and god knows which new game I played that weekend.

I hear you, Justus - I feel that I have a really good handle on the game, but have not been using the Genotype cards as they haven't quite clicked yet for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
You can still take the card for the gene tokens. If it isn't playable on one of your species (or as a new species) then you just discard it.

Exactly. The card drafting mechanic makes even the most worthless card worth taking for the genes alone, eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. This will make the game easier for players without any gene tokens, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Astyaro
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:
Momerath wrote:

I hear you, Justus - I feel that I have a really good handle on the game, but have not been using the Genotype cards as they haven't quite clicked yet for me.

I think there is a problem with the genotype cards as used in the rules. Most of the time they are not worth buying them Because you have to replace a spices with the new species and you can't inherit DNA. So it is very difficult to speciate with the genotype cards. So I think they become useless and only good for VPs but for me this is not very thematic. Why do you get VPs for a species that didn't even get to be placed in the gameboard???

The way I play it now is that you can speciate using a genotype card and you can put the new species in any valid biom as in the migration rule. And also you can inherit on RR DNA and one ditary DNA. This makes genotype cards valuable for getting DNA is not available in the mutation cards. I also even play only being able to speciate using genotype cards with the rules above I find it interesting a chalenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.