Hide
12 Posts

Alien Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d b
msg tools
I picked up this game a few days ago and so far my wife and I have really been enjoying it. However, we're wondering if we're doing the scoring correctly.

Is it possible to have a player who scores over 14, particularly in a two player game? In the two player game, if you have 8 colonies, 6 controlled territories, both alien tech victory points, and the positron generator your score would be 8+6+2+1=17, correct?

It seems odd to me that the rules don't mention the possibility of going over 14 so either we're doing the scoring incorrectly or my wife is just playing extremely poorly We both know she didn't play very well but are we missing something or doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainfired wrote:
Is it possible to have a player who scores over 14, particularly in a two player game? In the two player game, if you have 8 colonies, 6 controlled territories, both alien tech victory points, and the positron generator your score would be 8+6+2+1=17, correct?

If you score over 14, just leave your marker at 14 and show some compassion, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it would be possible but at the risk of offending your wife she would have to play terribly. Only point I can make is that you only keep the point for the territory as long as you control it. So if she took one from you she gains a point and you lose the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You’re only supposed to have 6 colonies. The rules state on page 5:

Quote:
Each player takes six colony tokens of the color that
matches their ships. Return the unused colony tokens
to the game box, they will not be needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
msg tools
I think for two players you use 8. Three players = 7, four players = 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
msg tools
She doesn't shy away from destroying me in Dominant Species so I'm just getting some revenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing it right. I've scored 15 in a 2 player game before. I like it 2 player but sometimes it can swing massively to one player or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The maximum score in a two player game is 19 points, but we figured that no single game would play so unevenly that anyone would exceed 14. Oops, we were wrong. There's a picture in the gallery with a players scoring rocket sitting three measures above the top of the score board. Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player can be quite an imbalance, especially if player 1 can keep the spaceship spaces tied up for a couple of the early rounds. I prefer to play with 3 open spaces in round 1, 2 open spaces on round 2 and then to limit to 1 pair on round 3 and onwards - that can even out the start a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for posting the wrong rule. I haven’t played two-player yet, but I probably would have ended up playing it wrong if it hadn't been for this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

If you score over 14, just leave your marker at 14 and show some compassion, man!

Grumsh wrote:
Well it would be possible but at the risk of offending your wife she would have to play terribly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have all of the expansions then you will have extra rockets in the primary colours...just leave a rocket at the top and start a new one at the bottom...only rule in two player as far as scoring and end game is concerned is: game ends when first person to build 8 colonies is achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.