Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the solitaire scenario, my first attempt to learn the game.

There are only a few turns in which to shoot both bombers down, which seems like critical hits are necessary. Because of this, I tried to keep the Hurricane 8 hexes directly behind one bomber to get the automatic hit extra die (tailing + size bonus = 1 + 7) but minimize the chance of taking a hit.

However, in my two attempts at the scenario, I lost the Hurri both times and only shot down 1 He111 total. No critical hits for the Hurri and very good He111 gunners.

Should I have tried another tactic? Did I just get bad rolls? If I get closer at a different altitude, I won't get shot down but I lose the automatic hit extra die, decreasing critical hit chance. With only 4(?) turns before both bombers exit, 3 damage per turn means only one 11-point bomber can go down without critical hits.

Looking forward to learning more, I'm just wondering if I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it seems impossible for the He111 gunner to get a critical hit on the Hurri. Am I supposed to roll both He111s together when they attack? I don't think so, but otherwise a single gun can't roll doubles for any criticals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I have the same feeling, too. John posted a straightforward strategy earlier:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/726288/watch-those-bombers-o...

However, there's a huge factor of luck involved, and I only get to shoot down a bomber ones in a while, whereas the Heinkels keep blazing the Hurricane. Getting closer than your current speed factor is also not advised, as it might force you to fly through the explosion hex after fuel line hits.

Cheers, bolero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks-I saw that article, but as I mentioned, it seems in this scenario that time is of the essence, so you need the extra die to go for a critical hit or you won't have time to kill both Heinkels.

Am I right the bombers can't score a critical hit on a fighter (unless they're within automatic hit range and get the extra die)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stanoch
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi Erin,

I have been mucho busy finishing the manuscript for Lost Squadrons, due out this August at WBC. To answer your questions the He-111h's can score a critical hit on the Hurri's ONLY if the player allows it;i.e. he flies the Hurri's into automatic hit range of the bombers.

If you need to tweak the game to increase you chances to win, try the following:

1. Do not move the bombers on turn one. Assume that they just entered the board.
2. Start the bombers with some damage on them. Assume they took some flak hits.
3. Give yourself another Hurri.

I am glad that you guys are writing about this game. The purpose of the solitaire scenario is not to win (which is nice in its own right), but rather to learn the mechanics of the rules. In reading your posts, it seems that you guys are becoming experts with the mechanics. Good Show!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response. I wasn't trying to take the the first scenario too seriously, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong that was making it impossible to win

Looking forward to Lost Squadrons. Are there any plans for eastern front expansions? I'm very interested in Soviet WWII aviation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the solitaire scenario twice and have yet to shoot down a bomber. Sure, I got one to do circles, but that was it....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.