Subject: A simple point bonus to compensate for slight turn sequence bias. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that there is a turn bias in small world, not much but enough that it can make the difference on who wins.

The primary examples that there is indeed a turn bias are:

1) When first selecting race-combos the later down the cycle the best ones will probably be taken, (this is a minor point and can be ignored most of the time).

2) The most significant factor is the later down the turn sequence you are at game end. The enemies can strike you before your final score, but they have already scored and don't care by the time it comes round to your turn of retaliation.

These aren't serious but I think it should be noted that the turn sequence does matter.

My proposal for a simple solution is this.

at game end each player receives bonus coins equal to their player position (numerically) X1.

so...

player 1 = 1 coin
player 2 = 2 coin
player 3 = 3 coin
player 4 = 4 coin
player 5 = 5 coin ....

you could have the bonus as X2 instead of X1 if you feel that the turn sequence is significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could bid for playing position...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah that's a good idea, kinda like the "Small time Coup" in Tales and legends.

I think you'd almost have to give everyone 5 additional coins so they can bid without been to short of money early in the game.

Additional starting coins would reward those that don't bid much even further, enhancing the META game of small world auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to more aggressively attack the players earlier in turn order during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not always an option.

whether the reason been they have a military advantage or your just to far apart.

Another point is why should I have to change my entire strategy just because of turn sequence. If I wish to outscore the war-mongers via control and combo bonuses then I should be able to.
I also have found that you can't rely upon any one else to perceive and attack the true threat, so been forced into a player 1 vs player 5 situation isn't exactly fair seeing as player 1 has no desire to chase player 5 down and will happily sit back and score as he wishes only having to defend against the occasional attack when some one else reaches them.

I prefer just a simple VP balance at the end, and let everyone play how they deem best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once chatting with a friend about the turn bias issue (my position is/was roughly the same as yours) and to my surprise he complained the exact opposite: that at the beginning of the game the first player (or early players) have a turn of being hit by everyone else.

This is probably a group-dependent thing, but I found it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I hadn't thought of that... it doesn't happen very often though and I would find that a wee bit cruel to pulverise someone before they even started playing.
The problem with that as a defence for the 1st player is that in a game with 4+ players, player1 might be crippled but player2 (and anyone else in front of you) still have the sequence advantage "there's to many of 'em".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.