War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2nd ed. Hunt Dice, Damage, on the table card limits... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike b
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So after a horrific first attempt at playing this wonderful game and butchering the rules as if they were a supporting actress in a B horror movie, I have a few questions I seek clarity on.

ok so as I understand it now the hunt goes like this:

FP moves the fellowship one space on the tracker, meaning they are one space from the last reveal position.

SP rolls combat dice in a # equal to the dice in the hunt box.

now here is where I am still confused: Does the SP draw a hunt tile for each success (6+) die that was rolled or is just getting 1 6+ considered a success?

Here's what happened: First move SP rolled 5 dice 3 were success. The basic beige hunt tiles were 1, 2, eye. The eye counts for 3. So my choices were lose half my fellowship or take 6 corruption. I took the 6 corruption because it was my first move of the game.
This actually caused the game to end in 4 rounds b/c I gave up and just took corruption every turn.

On the table event cards: I didn't see a limit in the rule book but in 3 player game if 2 shadow players can put cards down it got kind of ridiculous.

any clarification would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one tile is drawn, no matter how many successes are rolled. The number of successes is only needed to determine the amount of corruption if an eye tile is drawn, otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Also, keep in mind that if the fellowship moves more than once in a round, it makes it easier for the hunt to be successful. After the first time the fellowship moves, only 6s count as a success, but after the second fellowship movement in the same round, 5s and 6s count, then after the third movement, 4s, 5s, and 6s count, etc.

And don't forget that if the fellowship's current location on the map shares a space with a Nazgul, Shadow Army, or a Shadow Stronghold, each of these conditions grants 1 reroll (to a maximum of 3 rerolled dice each hunt).

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of table event cards in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
griethad wrote:
Only one tile is drawn, no matter how many successes are rolled. The number of successes is only needed to determine the amount of corruption if an eye tile is drawn, otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Also, keep in mind that if the fellowship moves more than once in a round, it makes it easier for the hunt to be successful. After the first time the fellowship moves, only 6s count as a success, but after the second fellowship movement in the same round, 5s and 6s count, then after the third movement, 4s, 5s, and 6s count, etc.

And don't forget that if the fellowship's current location on the map shares a space with a Nazgul, Shadow Army, or a Shadow Stronghold, each of these conditions grants 1 reroll (to a maximum of 3 rerolled dice each hunt [and if there are 3 eyes in the hunt box as well).

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of table event cards in play.
This is all true for when the FSP is not in Mordor (like at the start of the game). After the FSP Declares on the Mordor Track, every time the FSP moves there is an automatic Hunt Tile drawn (ie, no more dice rolling). Now Eyes are worth the number of dice in the Hunt Box (both Red and Blue).

It certainly is a novel game mechanism and takes a bit to get your head around it but once you do, it make perfect sense.

Welcome to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit to the number of cards that can be in play on the table, but please remember the following:

Check the pre-requisites for the cards. As soon as they no longer are true the card is discarded.

Check the discard conditions for the cards. As soon as they become true the card is discarded.

Check if/how the opponent can actively discard the card by taking an action (using one of his Action dice) and sometimes discarding Event cards from his hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike b
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone. yeah we butchered the rules on our first run worse than we thought. We never even made it to combat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Bradshaw
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
Don't feel bad Mike. Our first run never saw combat either. Our second run was going fine until combat started, then the brakes screeched and the record scratched and everything stopped while our game session turned into a reading session. We finally got it, but still made some mistakes. It's worth the effort though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike b
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't think starting a 3 player game was the best idea either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.