Subject: New player... would appreciate some rules clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Commander Salamander
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

Just finished my 2nd game, and am enjoying Dragonspire quite a bit. However, either I've missed a few things in the rules or there are some ambiguities that I'd appreciate clarification on.

GUARDIAN BLADE:
Can I choose a hero equipped with Guardian Blade (provide it is a legal target) as a target for monsters with the "Destroy hero with " Battle effects?
How about the Hydra, which says "Each player reveals 2 Heroes... and destroys their revealed Hero with the highest strength"?

CHAINING EFFECTS:
Say I have a Quartermaster and Phalanx Footman. If I use the Quartermaster Dungeon Effect and get a Phalanx Officer, can I then use the Phalanx Officer to draw a card?

THUNDERSTONE:
In my 2nd game the thunderstone turned up with two very weak (low VP) monsters in Rank1 and Rank2. Beyond ending the game if you think you're ahead (or having access to useful VP cards in the village), it seems like there is little-to-no incentive to enter the dungeon in this situation since the next person will get the stone and the weak monster. Or am I overlooking something?

QUARTERMASTER:
It seems like the clarification in the rulebook is totally contrary to the card text. Very irritating. Sorry, not a question, but rather a complaint .

FLAME RAGE:
It says "Destroy the Village card with the highest gold value". Do village cards with no gold symbol at all (e.g. Polymorph) count as value zero, or are they ignored? In other words, is there a mechanistic distinction between cards with a gold symbol and the number zero (e.g. Militia) and those with no symbol at all?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Cmdr Salamander wrote:

GUARDIAN BLADE:
Can I choose a hero equipped with Guardian Blade (provide it is a legal target) as a target for monsters with the "Destroy hero with " Battle effects?

I believe so. There is a rule that you can't apply a battle effect to a hero/value that is already exempt (e.g. you can't apply it to a hero who isn't attacking, to an attack value that is already at zero (if the other attack value is greater than zero), or to a hero who has already been destroyed), but I don't think that's the case here. A Guardian Blade-equipped hero seems to me to be a legitimate target of a monster's battle effect.

Quote:
How about the Hydra, which says "Each player reveals 2 Heroes... and destroys their revealed Hero with the highest strength"?

Yes. It's up to you to decide which two heroes to "reveal". In the case of the active player, all your cards are already revealed at this time, so I think it's the equivalent of choosing two of them and putting them forward for consideration.

Quote:
Say I have a Quartermaster and Phalanx Footman. If I use the Quartermaster Dungeon Effect and get a Phalanx Officer, can I then use the Phalanx Officer to draw a card?

Definitely.

Quote:
In my 2nd game the thunderstone turned up with two very weak (low VP) monsters in Rank1 and Rank2. Beyond ending the game if you think you're ahead (or having access to useful VP cards in the village), it seems like there is little-to-no incentive to enter the dungeon in this situation since the next person will get the stone and the weak monster. Or am I overlooking something?

I'm often in this position, and it sucks. The player who feels ahead can only afford to burn a monster from the dungeon if their margin of victory is greater than the values of the remaining monster and the Thunderstone. So often, we'll spend several turns in the village playing chicken, looking for village cards worth points, looking to upgrade to Level 3, or looking for abilities that will allow us to alter the order of the dungeon hall. Banish is a great card, not least of why because it can bring this stalemate to a quick and satisfactory conclusion.

Quote:
It says "Destroy the Village card with the highest gold value". Do village cards with no gold symbol at all (e.g. Polymorph) count as value zero, or are they ignored? In other words, is there a mechanistic distinction between cards with a gold symbol and the number zero (e.g. Militia) and those with no symbol at all?

Cards with a gold value of zero are different from cards with no gold value. For instance, a Pawnbroker may destroy a militia (gold value = 0), but not Polymorph (no gold value). So in the case of this monster effect, Polymorph would be ignored, even if every other card in the village also had no gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Salamander
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks... I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for me! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.