Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of references here to Oich being very strong at the end, and combining Ness with a tavern early in stack 2 makes for an amazingly strong combo.

I've only played one game so far (I know, I know, I shouldn't suggest variants after only one game), but I was wondering what people though about switching Oich to appear in phase 2, where it would still be decent (and maybe making it only cost 1 resource), and moving Ness to stack 3 where it is less abusive with taverns.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me to be quite sensible. I'm really trying to figure out why it's not great, and all I can think is that ness costs too much at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
I always put Oich into phase 2 stack and it works nicely. I've never tried putting Ness to 3, as my daughter just loves and always takes Ness, thus she'd be upset if it doesn't show up in Phase 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's also nice about this is that you just leave the stacks the way they are, and just "know" that Oich is Ness and Ness is Oich. So that you don't see the oddly numbered tile in the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes a lot of sense to me. We shall try making that a house rule, I think.

This is a rare occasion when a little tinkering does seem to be quite productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an odd idea. Ness is only expensive because people can't afford the extra clansman early in the game, but I suppose you've also crippled the tile by doing this, because it would barely be used.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick it up at the beginning of round 3 and it could easily provide three extra tile activations. Later in round 3, it's relatively useless, but you can say that about a lot of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
If the cards are that powerful, won't players have to jump far ahead in the chain to secure them? That leaves all of the other tiles available to the other players. Are they really worth that trade off?

Either they're powerful enough that this makes sense, or they aren't so it doesn't. It resolves the issue either way.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.