Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Daft question for today, do you prime the figures before painting?

I've seen just one picture (NOT on this site) where the painter said he didn't prime because they were pre-primed, but I thought the result looked pretty poor.
So, did you re-prime them or just go with tham as-is before painting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t re-prime, works fine! I´ll post some pictures soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't reprime them. There's no need, and the vast majority of people who paint Dust Tactics don't reprime the figures. Repriming might give you a slightly better surface to paint over, but it will also add more layers of paint and thus take away some of the details too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this on 'the gaming gang' review:

Quote:
I did mention I’d discuss painting your DT miniatures before I finished up the review. FFG indicates the miniatures are “preprimed” so you can just paint the figures right out of the box. As someone who has painted just about anything from 6mm to 1/6th scale made of lead, pewter, plastic, and resin this is certainly not the case. Sure, the figures have been mainly cleaned of mold release agents but they are not primed. Maybe this is what they mean by “preprimed” as you don’t have to wash off the greasy residue you always find on plastic figures. Each figure also has a decal attached so if you plan on painting the minis you’re going to have to understand that decal is going to have to go. You won’t miss them though with so creative use of Photoshop and a printer – you can easily replace the decals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I don't reprime them. There's no need, and the vast majority of people who paint Dust Tactics don't reprime the figures. Repriming might give you a slightly better surface to paint over, but it will also add more layers of paint and thus take away some of the details too.

If you dilute the paints enough, that doesn't happen. I usually coat my figs with three layers or more, plus washes, and never loose any detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.