Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the high culture trading posts can be placed on P1-P3 even without your discovery ship going there, however can I consider as one of the spots my Fleet visits to collect my personal income? Of course I have a range of say 7 with a 2+2+3 ships.

Also today was the 1st time I played a complete game and I played as a 3P all myself.

I never got to the 6 ships and just founded 4 nations. I understand it might have been a very inefficient way, but is that a possibility...I mean I hope I played it right and it is not necessary to found all nations and go through all phases up until the E Ships?

I had money of 2332-2858-3091 in the end. What are the typical scores like and what's a good score (this will help me set a benchmark and improve my gameplay)

Thanks for the help.

Best,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is the point of a culture marker. It is basically a trading post reserved for that specific Nation.

No, there is no reason to get to the E ships to end the game. The game ends after you finish the last ER on the round scale no matter what phase you are in or how many nations were founded.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you forgetting the rule that ships are bought by foreigners a few times during the game? That common mistake slows the game down a lot.

The next time you play, try to think more competitively (which I know can be hard when you are pretending to play 3 different players.) One player will be making more money off of their 2-ships than the others; someone who is losing should be doing everything in their power to bring the 4-ships into the game, whether it's forming new nations or buying ships from one nation into another to combine cash for ship purchases. Similarly for the 3-ships and the 6-ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Germany
Essen
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I remember, the rules say that buying ships from one nation into another is allowed after the first 4 ship is bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can you place a high culture trading post elsewhere tha in P1-P3?
Can yoy place a high culture trading postin P1-P3 even if you don't have the corresponding card?

The Rule is rather lacking on these trading posts.
~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:
Can yoy place a high culture trading postin P1-P3 even if you don't have the corresponding card?

~J

No and no. The rules tell you what you can do... you can place it on the corresponding location if you are the king of the nation who's culture disk you use.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Roger_Jay wrote:

~J

No and no. The rules tell you what you can do... you can place it on the corresponding location if you are the king of the nation who's culture disk you use.

BOb

See my other question in a different thread.

Thx
~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
Roger_Jay wrote:

~J

BOb

See my other question in a different thread.

Thx
~J

Looks like it has been answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one?

Thx for your help BTW.

Could you also explain the rational behind nation creation? I understand you invest in the nation, which issues merchant licenses, the money for issuing license goes to the nation's coffer, and then you buy some of these licenses but why does the money go to the bank?

What is the "position" of the bank?
~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is based on the 18XX system which is generally based on Train Companies. In Poseidon the Companies are "Nations".

The bank is there to finance your company. In 18xx when you form a company you essentially have an IPO and issue stock. The bank "loans" you money for the unsold shares that you issue so you can run your company.

So, in Poseidon essentially the bank "loans" the nation money (or buys) for those merchant license that you issue buy don't purchase yourself. This is why when people buy a merchant license from the "pool" it goes to the bank, since technically the bank owns those license since your nation originally got the money for them from the bank.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok make sense!

thx
~j
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.