No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Detraining in EZOCS. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know that detraining in EZOCs is not allowed. I believe this is still true even if a friendly unit is present in the destination hex, correct? (as this only negates the EZOC for the purposes of retreating and supply, NOT detraining).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
I know that detraining in EZOCs is not allowed. I believe this is still true even if a friendly unit is present in the destination hex, correct? (as this only negates the EZOC for the purposes of retreating and supply, NOT detraining).

Yes, correct.

But note that detraining in EZOC is allowed when you do so in a friendly city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

Yes, correct.

But note that detraining in EZOC is allowed when you do so in a friendly city...
...which was not conquered in this turn, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RIGHT!

All that demolition work the enemy did while retreating you see.

BTW I was reading a very interesting account of the postD-DAY advance of the allies into France in 1944. And their Air Force did such good work of destroying the French railroads and Bridge infrastructure the months before the breakthrough that it hugely impeded their swift exploitation to Germany. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
licinius wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

Yes, correct.

But note that detraining in EZOC is allowed when you do so in a friendly city.

and move no further...(?) Oh, so this is true for both the Soviets and Axis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here is the rule, taken from the game's rulebook:

[9.2] Detraining
During the player’s Detraining Phase (at the end of his
turn), he may bring none, any or all of his units in the
Rail Movement Box back onto the map. (Units in the Rail
Movement Box can remain there indefinitely.)

When “Detrained,” each unit is placed in either:

• a friendly City hex that can trace a Overland Supply Path
(even in an Enemy ZOC), or

• any hex that is not an enemy controlled City or an EZOC
and can trace an Overland Supply Path of three hexes
maximum (i.e., no more than two intervening hexes)
to a friendly Supplied City or friendly map edge. You
may not trace to a City hex that was just captured this
player-turn, through an enemy controlled City, or use
an Alternate Supply Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is the "amended" one we are testing right now:

[9.2] Detraining
During the player’s Detraining Phase (at the end of his turn), he may bring none, any or all of his units in the Rail Movement Box back onto the map. (Units in the Rail Movement Box can remain there indefinitely.)

When “Detrained,” each unit is placed in either:

• a friendly City hex that can trace a Overland Supply Path (even in an Enemy ZOC), or

• any hex that is not an Enemy Controlled City or an EZOC and can trace an Overland SupplyPath of three hexes maximum for Soviet Units (i.e., no more than two intervening hexes), or a Path of two hexes maximum for Axis Units (i.e., no more than one intervening hex) to a friendly
Supplied City or friendly map edge. You may not trace to a City hex that was just captured this player- turn, an enemy city, or use an Alternate Supply Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I must be mistaken with unit placement then, as there I believe there is a difference between the Axis and Soviet units (Axis may not be placed in a city in an enemy EZOC, Soviet units may),

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind the different rule for unit placement and detraining in this matter? Wouldn't it be easier to have the same rule for both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well this rule is not offical yet.

The Germans had a much harder time moving units around strategically in the USSR (Different Rail Gauge, Partisan activity, lack of interior lines of comminication, etc...), and also later in the war in Germany (Allied Bombings, lack of fuel, etc...), so this is why you hav edifferent Rail move Radius.

Same reasoning for the City detraining rule in the USSR.

Plus this also remove a "gimmicky" move where some German players used rail movement to advance forward of their spearhead in the early part of the game because of the Low Soviet unit density.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
I must be mistaken with unit placement then, as there I believe there is a difference between the Axis and Soviet units (Axis may not be placed in a city in an enemy EZOC, Soviet units may),

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind the different rule for unit placement and detraining in this matter? Wouldn't it be easier to have the same rule for both?

That would be awful! Then the Axis could only detrain in Greater Germany! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.