Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago I've tried to find something out about the sculptors, but with no success.
Tonight I'll look into it again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Aha, my favorite bountyhunter accepts the assignment

Hehe, I've written emails to several sculptors, but none helped me any further ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you asked Kevin Contos and Sandra Garrity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
No... is that a hint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No hint, just an assumption. I've found no informations about the sculptors.
Just an interview with Sandra Garrity and she made miniatures for the Hasbro Toy Group.
And together with Kevin Contos she made miniatures for other fantasy boardgames too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a shot in the dark, but have you tried this site for the toy industry? Some of those listed have been in the business since the late 80's or earlier and also list Hasbro as a client. If the actual sculptor isn't reachable this way, maybe someone who worked on the project remembers him or her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
GW cannot help me:

Hi Tommy

Your email below has been passed to me because I work in the legal department here at Games Workshop. Unfortunately we do not reply to this kind of question and so I am unable to provide you with an answer.

I am sorry if this is disappointing but thank you for your interest in Games Workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Well, I mailed customer service with the request to forward my question to the right person. Guess legal dept. was their first thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ogres from the Elf Quest Pack are very similar to the Marauder Miniatures (a "subsidiary company" from GW once) Ogres. Formed by Ally and Trish Morrison. I think they made the Battle Masters minis also. Just compare their line with the Battle Masters minis.

The problem are the elves and wolfs. They look not like GW ones. More like something from Ral Pharta (more precisely Sandra Garrity).

Another possibility is Bob Olley (worked for GW also, famous for his dwarf works). I know that he made prototype miniatures for Space Crusade, but they where never used for the final product. Maybe he has some infos about HeroQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
No hint, just an assumption. I've found no informations about the sculptors.
Just an interview with Sandra Garrity and she made miniatures for the Hasbro Toy Group.
And together with Kevin Contos she made miniatures for other fantasy boardgames too.

Sandra Garrity sent me a very friendly email. She does not know who sculpted the miniatures. She also mentioned it could be very hard to find out who sculpted the miniatures because most toy companies are very secretive about their artists. Most sculptors also have a NDA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:

Sandra Garrity sent me a very friendly email. She does not know who sculpted the miniatures. She also mentioned it could be very hard to find out who sculpted the miniatures because most toy companies are very secretive about their artists. Most sculptors also have a NDA.

Too bad...

Anyways, I have more informations about the Ogres:
I think they where designed by Jes Goodwin.
Here are some Ogres from him:

For comparison the Battle Masters and Elf Quest Ogre :

Btw, Jes Goodwin was also responsible for many Elf miniatures:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
I think the new miniatures from the USA expansions were not made by anyone from GW. GW tried to sidestep the glorious success of MB Europe by publishing Advanced HeroQuest. They wanted to assimilate the success but it didn't come true. MB Europe's last copyrights were for the henchmen and ogre sprues. After that, MB USA took over and sculpted new miniatures. They also hired new (American) artists. And they did not use the likeness of the former Heroes or GW monsters. They still owned the rights to the ogres and henchmen, so that's why they were reused. (All this is deductive speculation from my part.)

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
The first HQ Ogre's:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
I think the new miniatures from the USA expansions were not made by anyone from GW. GW tried to sidestep the glorious success of MB Europe by publishing Advanced HeroQuest. They wanted to assimilate the success but it didn't come true. MB Europe's last copyrights were for the henchmen and ogre sprues. After that, MB USA took over and sculpted new miniatures. They also hired new (American) artists. And they did not use the likeness of the former Heroes or GW monsters. They still owned the rights to the ogres and henchmen, so that's why they were reused. (All this is deductive speculation from my part.)

I think your speculation is correct. Like said above, the light blue miniatures don't look like anything from GW, more like from Ral Pharta or maybe Reaper.
Maybe contact Tom Meier. A very friendly guy and truly a legend in the (american) miniature sculptor scene. He was a founding partner of Ral Partha. In an interview he talks about his work with toy companies, like Hasbro. He has his own company now: http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/. On this site there's a forum also. You can find Tom and many other people with a good knowledge there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Another dead end ...

Hi Tommy,

Sorry, I have no idea. I haven't even seen them before.

Cheers, Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe it.shake

Wasn't there a guy who optained the Elf Quest Master Sculpts?
He should have some informations.

I've looked through an old Ral Pharta catalog (1993) and the sculptors listed are:

Chris Atkin
Francis Barnum
Nicholas Bibby
Bob Charrette
John Garrity
Sandy Garrity
Julie Guthrie
Jim Johnson
Tom Meier
Dave Summers
Richard Kerr
Robert Olley (Bob Olley)
Dennis Mize (passed away)
Geoff Valley
Jeff Wilhelm
Walter Vail
Kevin Contos (not listed as sculptor, but I've spotted a mini from him)

So, we can assume that these were popular or sculptors in demand at this time.

Has Donald Kueker some informations? Often the sculptor makes the minis based on sketches from the illustrator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
I can't believe it.shake

Wasn't there a guy who optained the Elf Quest Master Sculpts?
He should have some informations.

No detailed info can be shared by him for various reasons.

konsum24 wrote:
Has Donald Kueker some informations? Often the sculptor makes the minis based on sketches from the illustrator.

No, Don had only one contact at MB. He was freelance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.