Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Maston
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Background
Played on the same day as Blood Bowl Team Manager, you can read the introductory part here.

Session

Players: Tzeentch (FLo711), Khorne (Gus), Slaanesh (Big D), and Nurgle(me)

I was really, really looking forward to playing this game. I received Chaos in the Old World (CitOW) in the post the day before, but spent most of the evening popping out the tokens and preparing the components for next day's play rather than read the rulebook.

Luckily FLo711 had played (CitOW) once during Essen(?) and was slightly familiar with the process, which helped a lot when we worked through the rules as we played. Compared to Blood Bowl Team Manager, the rules were a little more involved, so we had a practice run before committing to spreading chaos and destruction throughout the Old World (or be banished trying).

The following account is mainly written from the viewpoint of Nurgle.

Round One: Meteor Showers

The above image perfectly illustrates where we placed our cronies. Noting Nurgle's Dial Advancement Condition, I focused on the populous region of Bretonnia and set to task in corrupting. I also deployed a plaguebearer in Estalia as a sign of things to come.

Round Two: Pleasant Uprising
The Old World card was a nuisance and stymied Nurgle's capacity to dominate Bretonnia. Meanwhile Khorne was wiping the floor against Slaanesh in Kislev, leaving Tzeentch to his own devices.

Round Three: Up from Skavenblight
Tzeentch gates a follower from Tilea to Norsca. Slaanesh appears on Troll Country. Khorne...well, Khorne keeps killing and seems to win the Dial Advancement race, advancing twice each turn. Nurgle inflicts disease upon the populations, weakening its resistance. Nurgle also appears in The Empire.

The Beer Incident: Ever worried with the number of beers surrounding my brand new boardgame, my fears became realised when Slaanesh knocked his beer bottle and sent a cascade of beer onto the table. *look of horror followed by facepalm* Fortunately the spillage missed the board and cards, but soaked a number of peasant tokens and the base of the game box. Quick action from other players saw the tokens wrapped in paper towels to help absorb the beer. Someone forgot to tell Khorne about this as he collected the paper towels and threw them in the bin. *Revisited facepalm* Guilty Slaanesh sifted through the garbage to salvage the tokens. All were accounted for and play resumed.

Round Four: Electors Arise
Slaanesh's eyes flashed at the sight of more nobles. By this stage Khorne dominated Kislev, was warring in The Empire, and was making an appearance in the Badlands with his threatening first strike Bloodletters. Tzeentch was contesting Troll Country against Slaanesh.

Round Five: Dwarf Trollslayers
The arrival of Trollslayers helped stay the overall conquest of Khorne. Bretonnia fell to ruin thanks to the corrupting influence of Nurgle and Tzeentch.

Round Six: Franz's Decree

Round Seven: The Horned One's Due.
It all came down to Estalia. Slaanesh and Tzeentch were seemingly out the race, too far behind on the dial advancement and on points. Khorne was set to win with one more dial advancement to victory. A Bloodthirster sat in Estalia surrounded by a throng of Nurglites. Playing a good number of zero cost magic cards, Nurgle hoped to see Khorne wreak havoc elswhere on the board, using up his power quickly. And so he did. The only one to still have 8 power points to use, Nurgle went to work in sending the region to ruin - and did! Ruination brought Nurgle up to 63 points, ending the game and snatching victory from Khorne on the very last turn.

Victor: Nurgle (hooray for pestilence!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixthStitch wrote:
Pleasant Uprising

The peasants were rather unpleasant to most I guess

TheSixthStitch wrote:
By this stage Khorne dominated Kislev, was warring in The Empire, and was making an appearance in the Badlands with his threatening first strike Bloodletters.

What exactly was threatening about the Bloodletters having first strike ? It looks like that in theory, but in fact, this is one of the most useless upgrades. Khorne wants to kill enemy cultists in order to stop and delay ruinations so he buys time to tick the dial to its end. So you care very little about killing enemy warriors before they can hit you. There are much better upgrades.

TheSixthStitch wrote:
Khorne was set to win with one more dial advancement to victory. Ruination brought Nurgle up to 63 points, ending the game and snatching victory from Khorne on the very last turn.

So, Khorne did not manage a single DAC at all getting his last tick needed to win ? Because if Nurgle took 63VP and Khorne ticked his dial to the end in the same turn, Khorne should have won as the dial takes precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Maston
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:

What exactly was threatening about the Bloodletters having first strike ? It looks like that in theory, but in fact, this is one of the most useless upgrades. Khorne wants to kill enemy cultists in order to stop and delay ruinations so he buys time to tick the dial to its end. So you care very little about killing enemy warriors before they can hit you. There are much better upgrades.

Good to know. I don't think we gave it that much thought (speaking for myself, really). Really hope I get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th play out of this game real soon. I'm sure we missed lots of finer details.

Umbratus wrote:

So, Khorne did not manage a single DAC at all getting his last tick needed to win ? Because if Nurgle took 63VP and Khorne ticked his dial to the end in the same turn, Khorne should have won as the dial takes precedence.

Bugger. You're right. I just re-read the rules. Khorne DID tick his dial in the same turn. But...he doesn't have to know he won, right? RIGHT? *blubbers something about having beer spilt on his beloved new game*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixthStitch wrote:
Bugger. You're right. I just re-read the rules. Khorne DID tick his dial in the same turn. But...he doesn't have to know he won, right? RIGHT?

I could be persuaded to offer my discretion for a small fee whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixthStitch wrote:

*blubbers something about having beer spilt on his beloved new game*

I thought it was Slaanesh that spiled the beer, or was it Tzeentch that made you think so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are not the droids you are looking for /Tzeentch

We also had a 'rules realisation' half way through the game athat ruination did not score how we thought it did.

Good fun thought - definitely a game you need 2 to 3 goes on to get the strategy down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zen master
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i played slaneesh - really sorry about the beer

Umbratus wrote:

for slaneesh i think at least, this was intimidating. slaneesh needs his cultists to fulfill his dial advancement dealio (along with noble and hero tokens). i was in the same area of the board as khorne and he was forever killing my cultists after killing my warriors with his first strike upgrade.

can you recommend any tactics for slaneesh against khorne with this upgrade? continuously run away to prevent him killing you and getting his dial advancement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.

I posted strategy articles on all 4 gods here on the geek. This is the one for Slaanesh, the most recent.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/614722/slaanesh-strategy-gui...

PS: If Khorne was killing your warriors first and only then going for your cultists, he was not even playing very efficiently.

A first game doesnt really tell you that much about the subtle strategies. You played for 6 turns. Usually, a game among experienced players is over in either 4 or 5 turns. Just play again before you bother about too many details. You will have seen some patterns after about a dozen plays. The game is worth it. But it will also remain random to a certain extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.