Subject: Mythos with no gate location vs. Bridge to somewhere else rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Ford
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I drew an encounter at Bishop's Brook Bridge (a Dunwich location) that reads "Draw a mythos card and move to the gate location on it...".
I drew a mythos card that had no gate location. Should I play it to the letter and just stay put, or keep drawing mythos cards till I get a gate location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
andyford wrote:
I drew an encounter at Bishop's Brook Bridge (a Dunwich location) that reads "Draw a mythos card and move to the gate location on it...".
I drew a mythos card that had no gate location. Should I play it to the letter and just stay put, or keep drawing mythos cards till I get a gate location?

Draw again. You need to fulfill your original card as best you can. It is just using the deck as a randomizer. So if it won't play nice, try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ford
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, ended up in the Black Cave and the encounter there sent me to the other world Another Time, which I just came from last turn.dizzy
So, next stop, Lost in Time & Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what would happen if you then drew one of the Lurker "double-gate" cards. Do you choose which gate, or does one take priority over the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kungfro wrote:
I wonder what would happen if you then drew one of the Lurker "double-gate" cards. Do you choose which gate, or does one take priority over the other?

Not sure. I would discard and draw again.

Tough to say if the one on top is a higher priority because it is on top, or the one on the bottom since that is the order you go in. You could also do a die roll: evens do the top one, odds do the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kungfro wrote:

Half of you goes to one and half to the other, obviously. Any other investigator at either location must make a Will -3 check or lose 1 sanity at the sight of your remains; you are devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
or the one on the bottom since that is the order you go in.

What do you mean by this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kungfro wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I just mean when you resolve a Mythos card, you go from the bottom to the top, instead of top down. Typically the top is usually more important as it is in "first" position. But technically, "first" would be at the bottom.

That's why I think discard and draw again would be better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
kungfro wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I just mean when you resolve a Mythos card, you go from the bottom to the top, instead of top down. Typically the top is usually more important as it is in "first" position. But technically, "first" would be at the bottom.

That's why I think discard and draw again would be better!

I never looked at it that way, but it does make sense. I always read the top one first, because I took the gate-opening portion as a whole and then read top to bottom.

The MH expansion seems to bear this out, since the other-boards' gates are listed top-most and the Arkham-gate opening is ignored if you're using an extra board (or more). This doesn't mean anything, since you can just ignore the gate-opening portion to Arkham if you're using extra boards and read bottom to top.

I don't recall this happening in any of my games, but I would probably go with the gate opening at the extra-board loccation, if I was using one.

edit: In re-reading Tibs' question, I see he specified Lurker, so my comments would only apply to MH.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "down to up" resolution is just an artifact of design, not a rule of thumb. Each individual element might be resolved top-to-bottom, as, for example, the Mythos text most certainly is.

Edit: roused by AE's comment, it's worth noting that, while the MH double-gates are a different nature than the Lurker gates, the priority location is placed on top, not on bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kungfro wrote:
I think the "down to up" resolution is just an artifact of design, not a rule of thumb. Each individual element might be resolved top-to-bottom, as, for example, the Mythos text most certainly is.

Edit: roused by AE's comment, it's worth noting that, while the MH double-gates are a different nature than the Lurker gates, the priority location is placed on top, not on bottom.

I was just making comment on it being that way - wondering out loud if the bottom location was more important or not.

I really think discarding and drawing a new card that has a single gate is the way to resolve this if it comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought... would resolving two gates on one Mythos card be effectively simultaneous? And wouldn't it then be up to the first player which order they were resolved in?

I realize this would slightly favor the players, letting them effectively choose a gate. But one of the few advantages the game cedes to the players is say over timing decisions.

If this is a timing decision...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Radulla wrote:
Just a thought... would resolving two gates on one Mythos card be effectively simultaneous? And wouldn't it then be up to the first player which order they were resolved in?

I realize this would slightly favor the players, letting them effectively choose a gate. But one of the few advantages the game cedes to the players is say over timing decisions.

If this is a timing decision...

Sure, that would be another way to resolve it. I would just agree before the game to which way you are going to handle it to remain consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.