7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
After reading a post by the game designer that he is part of the same creative team that brought us the simplistic but yet inspiring Star Wars Pocket Models, I pulled out my game.

Strangely enough the systems are some what compatable! Here, take a look...

Star Trek combat system works on a weapons rating + combat card + d6 is higher than sheilds + combat cards + d6.

Star Wars PM combat system works on weapons bonus (+1-4) + combat card + 2d6 is greater than defense + combat card.

The attack numbers will roughly equal out to be the same as well as the defensive values if a die roll is added.

Both systems do not use range only a same zone/ location combat system.

Ships in Star Wars had star ratings that are similar to size in Star Trek. Ships in Star Wars didn't have speed or engine ratings but could move a certain star ratings worth of ships 1 zone/ location per turn.

Both games use crew and combat cards to add bonuses to a ships abilities (that contain scenes and characters specific to the properties and enhances the theme). Pocket Models uses Objective cards (a combination of mission or encounter cards) you battled over. Each player placed their 3 objective cards in your starting area with a single contested zone in the middle (3 zones all together). First person to defeat 3 objective or all of the other player's ships, wins.

When I played Pocket Models the custom rules were:
1) A multi zone system (3x3) for my space map and instead of putting the objectives in my starting area, one was placed randomly in every zone like planets.
2) Instead of destroy the objective you took it over but someone could claim it from you by defeating your owned objective. Same winning conditions applied.

NOTE- If you check out Shadd's rules in the Star Wars Pocket Models download section, he and I worked on that when the game first came out. Our ideas diverge when it came to the map and thus his rules were born.

I mention the custom rules to show how similar the games really are at their core and there really is a compatable system here.

The question I have...is the Wizards of the Coast (WotC) Star Wars Miniature Ship in scale with Star Trek: Fleet Captains. I know WotC was generally larger sculpts but I am curious to know before I pursue this thought any further.

I think you understand where my mind is going but I don't want to have Star Wars versus Star Trek...although that would be cool...I just want to make a Star Wars game as thematic and encompassing as Fleet Captains.

With Fleet Captains I feel I have the only Star Trek board game I will ever need. I hope the same can happen with Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, fan-boys could finally settle all the space combat issues that have arisen over the time (Enterprise vs Stardestroyer etc.). I personally don't really need a mixer of the three different "Star" universes (Trek, Wars, Gate) that I use to play in, but if you're into that sort of cross-over, why not?

freedfromthematrix2 wrote:

The question I have...is the Wizards of the Coast (WotC) Star Wars Miniature Ship in scale with Star Trek: Fleet Captains. I know WotC was generally larger sculpts but I am curious to know before I pursue this thought any further.

I do own only a very, VERY limited quantity of SW PM models so this might not be the definite answer you're looking for, but as the ships in FC aren't in scale to each other, I'd have to go with 'no' as an answer for your question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you understand where my mind is going but I don't want to have Star Wars versus Star Trek...although that would be cool...I just want to make a Star Wars game as thematic and encompassing as Fleet Captains.

With Fleet Captains I feel I have the only Star Trek board game I will ever need. I hope the same can happen with Star Wars.

I have a large collection of WotC's Star Ship Battles miniatures. The fighters are a little smaller than the ships in Fleet Captains, the freighters are largely comparable (though the base is larger than the clix base of ST:FC), while the capital ships are probably about 150-200% larger than the ST:FC ships (though the bases are much larger, approximating about a 3 inch diameter if I recall correctly. The Executor and Viscount flagship models are bigger (perhaps twice the size of a star destroyer).

Nonetheless, it probably wouldn't be impossible to use them in the Fleet Captains game sort of setting. Some extra space between the location tiles (or even bigger tiles and a smaller overall map, depending on if you were planning on making your own) could work. Assuming capital ships are Size 4-6, players might not need to have many on the board at once anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Actually, it sounds like they are scaled fairly accurately based on the movies.

As I look at the Pocket Model game, it really is complete in what it does. The components reflects the theme of Star Wars very well. It just lacks the epic nature of the Star Trek boar game. I think part of the lacking is the fact it was made as a collectable game.

Some of the difference in the games is the health and movement.

Ships do not have movement because they all moved 1 zone/location.

All ships in Star Trek have 4 clicks of health (minus certain powers. Yes, Enterprise I'm looking at you). Star Wars can go up to 9 health called shields with no degridation of abilities as they take hits. But in Star Wars the action is more cartoon-ish (especially the new stuff) and everyone hits more therefore greater health seems to balance it out. The health difference also works because Star Wars cannot adjust power (and is not really known for it) and most action is centered around smaller more agile fighters which are 1 and/or 2 health/ sheilds.

My thinking to turn this into an Epic game is...

Movement can be base on size (number of stars). Medium size (3-4 stars) goes fastest, largest (4-5) and smallest (1-2) are the get slower respectively. I'm sure a reference chart could be easily made base on thematic criteria.

Keep the combat cards the same as ST:FC (Crew- specific character named cards- can be assigned granting permanent bonus but discarded to use special ability)

Keep the multiple zones/ locations in a 5x5 set up. Star Wars was not really about exploration but the conflict so using objective cards as encounter/mission cards works. Keep them turned over until attempted. All Objective Cards with the same name are used at the same location.

Keep Influence in the game and upgrading.

Repair actions, Reinforcement Actions, Break Away, Evasion Roll and Task Force remain the same.

Transporter Actions become landing/ docking actions.

Ops cards are not used because...there are none.

Victory Conditions stay the same...Take control of 3 objectives and/or deestroy the opposing fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it sounds like they are scaled fairly accurately based on the movies.

No, Fleet Captain's ships are not scaled to each other very well at all. Just as a couple of examples the Excelsior is smaller than Enterprise-A both should dwarfed by Enterprise-E which is not the case. The same goes for the Klingon ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.