Popular Tags: excess [+] consumerism [+] [View All]
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider two common posts:

"I'm making an order and need recommendations to get me to the $100 free shipping level"

and

"I have too many unplayed games!"

Whether you need any recommendations to fill up your order to the free shipping level or not, these posts have to be related, right? We're getting some new games, we'll want to play them as soon as possible (they're new after all), but to get a better deal, we pile on another new game or two, thus overcrowding what we need to play "as soon as possible" A couple of game nights come and go - you successfully get one or more of your new finds on the table, but everybody else has games they want to get to the table, so you don't get all your new finds out and played as soon as you'd like.

But then there's something else that has caught your eye, maybe a couple. You make an order, but, to get that good deal, you throw in a couple extras to get to the free shipping level. This order, now, is the "new" that you'd like to get played "as soon as possible". The unplayed titles from the first order are now "not new" - they're now just in that mass of unplayed games on your shelf that you'd "like to play sometime". They were likely games that were part of topping off your previous order(s) to get free shipping.

Free shipping costs us a lot more than it seems......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not anything new. Sell more with growing discounts.

This has been a marketing key since the invention of "Buy One Get One Half Off".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe yes, maybe no.

1st I don't add on the extra games if it's more than I can afford.
2nd, I've taken advantage of these kind of offers on occasion to add on games I don't want, but that I can use as birthday or christmas presents I would be spending that money on anyhow.

So in the end it only cost "more then it seems" if someone is spending more then they would normally to acquire the savings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have that problem. The shop I utilize gives free shipping for all orders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the issue. If someone is ordering anything at all, then it seems like they don't feel like they have too many games yet. That happened BEFORE wanting to fill their order out to a certain threshold.

Having too many games is probably related more to an inability to let go of any of them, otherwise unused games could be traded off for something else you're more likely to play.

Personally, I like free shipping. It lets me buy stuff for less if I commit to buying a decent amount at a time. But instead of filling my orders with stuff I don't really want, I just wait until I want enough stuff.

I've got an order I've been working on for around a month now but haven't placed because it hasn't reached the $100 free shipping mark. Individual items have entered and left the cart, maybe because I bought it locally (Call of Cthulhu pack), because I'm working on a trade for it (Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage), or because I decided it's no longer a priority (Ghost Stories - my wife didn't like the theme). Then new things have entered the cart when I hear about another game I really want to try. Eventually it will hit $100 and I'll pull the trigger, but there's no special rush - I get there when I get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have that kind of problem!

Non continental US and international customers don't get anything free, not even a discount, no matter how much they spend.

So sorry. Seems we are subsidizing your problem... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My original post was intended a bit more tongue-in-cheek than it has been interpreted, but I appreciate the replies.

dboeren wrote:
I don't see the issue. If someone is ordering anything at all, then it seems like they don't feel like they have too many games yet. That happened BEFORE wanting to fill their order out to a certain threshold.

Having too many games is probably related more to an inability to let go of any of them, otherwise unused games could be traded off for something else you're more likely to play.

Your first point is probably the way we should all look at it, but there are a bunch of reasons I may purchase a game (or three), and it has never been, "I don't have enough games so I should acquire more." I buy them because they look interesting and I think I'd like to try them. There is very little analysis of the likelihood of actually playing the game - of course, I always assume it'll get played, and played a lot if people like it, but the realities of how much time can be spent gaming vs how many games I'd like to play would suggest otherwise.

Similarly, the games on my shelf (all but a handful I'd LOVE to play) aren't what's regulating how many unplayed or under-played games I have - the amount of time I can devote and opponents I can find limit my games played. I could trade all day (and I have traded quite a number of times) and it wouldn't make a real difference in reducing my unplayed or under-played game list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Free shipping is a problem an opportunity. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh how I wish I could relate .. $100 is like one board game down here in NZ, and even then I have to pay $6.50 to get it delivered soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in my case free shipping was a major cause of me owning too many unplayed games. Fortunately my FLGS changed owners a few years back and the new owner stocks more board games. Now when I need to buy the new hotness, it is often available at my FLGS. It may cost a bit more, but it saves me money in the long run because I don't end up buying marginal games to reach the free shipping level. I still do buy games occasionally from online game stores, because FLGS can't match the selection, but I do it less frequently.

For me it is easier to control the number of games I buy than to get rid of games. I find mailing games to be a hassle, not to mention postage costs. I do participate in no-ship trades at cons, but I only get to a major con about once every 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:
Your first point is probably the way we should all look at it, but there are a bunch of reasons I may purchase a game (or three), and it has never been, "I don't have enough games so I should acquire more." I buy them because they look interesting and I think I'd like to try them. There is very little analysis of the likelihood of actually playing the game - of course, I always assume it'll get played, and played a lot if people like it, but the realities of how much time can be spent gaming vs how many games I'd like to play would suggest otherwise.

Similarly, the games on my shelf (all but a handful I'd LOVE to play) aren't what's regulating how many unplayed or under-played games I have - the amount of time I can devote and opponents I can find limit my games played. I could trade all day (and I have traded quite a number of times) and it wouldn't make a real difference in reducing my unplayed or under-played game list

Well, I count "too many games" and "unplayed games" as separate things too. Having *some* unplayed games is fine. We each decide how many is too many for us. Of course we all have the problem of insufficient time/opponents, that's universal. And I don't see anything wrong with owning some games that rarely come out for various reasons. For instance, I'm working on a trade for Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. I don't expect to play it a lot, because only certain opponents want to get into a game of this length, direct conflict, or complexity. That's fine though, because the rare times it does come out it's supposed to be a great game and I happen to like this sort of game. I've got other small simple games that I wouldn't play with gamer friends, but I'm holding on to them for when our kids are able to play. If a game has an eventual use, it's not so bad if it lies dormant a while.

The stuff I'm trading for it is games I don't really foresee playing any more and probably wouldn't pick myself over other games I own. Imagine the well known geeklist "Games that fired other games" for instance - if a game has been wholly superseded by another game then it's trade material in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need to find other things to top an order off - things that aren't games. Counter trays, card sleeves, animeeples, new dice, dice bags, plush meeples (gotta make sure the wife stays interested in your hobby!)

Just think of it as an easy opportunity to bling up what you already play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hate the game, hate the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
Don't hate the game, hate the player.

I love your profile pic, I had a white samoyed as a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting an order together is kind of like running a race... and the free ship limit is the finish line. I ALWAYS cross the finish line!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could donate the games you don't play to underprivileged children, or to a nursing home or hospital, and then stop complaining about the too many unplayed games you have. With the freed up space on your shelves you could then purchase new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness I've never needed advice on what to add to bring my order to free shipping level. Of course, there was the time I went to order 6 or so 50 cent Heroclix and still made the $75 free shipping mark.

But Honey, I'm saving money doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anybody asks for advice because they can't think of a game to get to reach the $100 mark, it's just that they want advice to get the best game suitable for them because they can't possibly buy all the games that look good. They want help narrowing down all the possibilities to get something very appropriate, not because they can't think of what else to put in to fill the $100 order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into this problem until I realized that Amazon had free shipping over $25.00. At the cost of most games, I usually get free shipping with one game, and if I need to add a bit extra to bring the cost up to the $25, finding something else is not difficult. Amazon might not be the cheapest cost, but at least I am not dropping $75-100 for each order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
I ran into this problem until I realized that Amazon had free shipping over $25.00. At the cost of most games, I usually get free shipping with one game, and if I need to add a bit extra to bring the cost up to the $25, finding something else is not difficult. Amazon might not be the cheapest cost, but at least I am not dropping $75-100 for each order!

I buy a lot from Amazon and funagain.com. The prices are within a margin of each other and I like funagain as its (someones) FLGS. Hitting $100 is pretty easy but with Amazon I will throw a game on the bottom of an order of other junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.