Subject: General thoughts questions and suggestions to author rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that some of your suggestions are not really practical, or defy the game idea...

sabel wrote:

1.It would be more easy if the flamethrower and the normal android gun to be separated cards in order to be more clear who own what and which upgrade what.

Yes and no.
Keep in mind that new guns are not upgrades, but different versions. With the rifle you can shoot up to two rooms away, and with the new gun (forgot the name) you can shoot two bullets. If you have both, you cannot shoot two bullets in a room two spaces away, you have to decide. And if you have only one bullet left, the two-fer is of no use. Only the scope is an addition...
That said, cards on the table would probably confuse the "5 hand minimum" issue, or at least in the same way that the symbols seem to confuse you. I do not think they would help make it easier.

sabel wrote:

2.It would be more easy the room cards to be square so there should be no problem with the orientation of the card except of the walls touching doors.

This would change the whole game. One of the quirks of the game is that you cannot place a room adjacent to any other room. The way it is, longer distances are created, which must be overcome. If the cards were square, and you would draw a 2-door corner card first, not only could you place it at any door, you also would have two ways to align it.
Thereby you would create a more compact station every time. And that is not the idea, I think...

sabel wrote:

4.What is the point for the double space room cards. It would be more easy to be separated.

The dead end cards at the end of these (small computer room, med station), are very useful ones. This way, you HAVE to take one more step to get there. If you split the two-space cards up into a walk-through two-door corridor and a one-door dead end, this would
a) put more two-door rooms into the deck (2) and
b) make it easier to reach those areas.
Both cannot be intended...

sabel wrote:

5.What is the point for antidote if the host find it.
Obviously he keeps it till the end. Why not pills passing from player to player and changing the whole game.

The idea is that the antidote is another variable in the game, something that is never reliably available, but could be used to great effect if it is, and if used properly (and luckily).
This whole game is not about strategic securities, but about possibilities, and the hope to catch a break. Even if this hope is never fulfilled.
If you make antidotes a security, making sure that they are always in human hands, and making sure that they are there at the beginning, you would diminish the chances of the Host even further. The way it is, it is hard enough for the Host to infect someone...

sabel wrote:

6.Why the infection cards to have different colors, and not 2 per player all with the same color passing from player to player and change again the game

I honestly do not get the "passing from player to player" routine you keep bringing up.
The idea of different colours of infection cards is made obvious by the rules - to make sure that an infection attempt is truly that. Because if you have no items in hand, you HAVE to trade someone else's infection cards.
The second aspect is this way you make certain that a player only ever has three infection attempts, never more than that.

sabel wrote:

7.Who is entered an infected station carrying a gun but have no bullets trying to find some to use ?

This is clearly a thematical error, but it makes sense when looking at the mechanics of the game. To create tension, it has to be made sure that not everyone has a manner to defend himself, either against parasites or against infected characters. This also heightens the need to trade.

sabel wrote:

8. The Parasite rooms would be more thrilling if instead of parasite was a random die roll. 1,parasite, 2 search for an item 3 get from the discarded 4 nothing. Or get so many items according to the number roll.

Actually, that would not make the rooms more thrilling, but more random. The rooms are a tool that the Host can use to create additional problems. The way you describe it, they do not fulfill their tension-creating function at all. They are there to create dread, and to restrict movement. If only 1 in 4 creates parasites, this threat is moot.
Also, to salvage from the discard pile would
a) recycle the scanner more often and
b) create lots of ammunition
Both are no good ideas.

sabel wrote:

9.How many times being in a magnifying glass room have you share items with an another player?

Actually, lots of times. It is an easy way to benefit from a search and, probably, help someone who is on your team - without the dangers of trading. Whatever team that is. But that is what the metagame is for...

sabel wrote:

Generally the Rooms Parasite,Magnifying Glass seems lack of ideas.Perhaps teleporting ? .

This has nothing to do with a lack of creativity. All of us could easily imagine several rooms with additional functions. An armory, where you can get weapons. The Mess, where you can get some more energy via food. The Laboratory, where you can get antidotes. The chop shop, where you can get a new android. Etc.
However, every new room would greatly imbalance the game, and would need to be thorougly tested.
And your example - the teleport room? Actually, this would, if placed strategically, almost certainly help the humans to a secure win, as they would be able to bridge long distances. Which is, kind of, the thing that the Host has to try - isolate the few humans in far-off rooms. Such a strategy would, then, be moot.
So this teleport room is actually a really bad idea.

sabel wrote:

10.Why when having the knife both your characters can use it but the medical kit you must be in the same room.Why the booster is not used in the beginning or before the end of the team phase and distributed to characters as player wants ?

This, again, is a mechanical decision, instead of a thematical one. This way, it is harder to heal both characters, and to gain back action points.
The way you describe your idea of using the booster, that would include both characters having only 2 action points each. However, this is not the case - again for mechanical reasons, I guess. Doing it this way would mean that a player is, in all instances, greatly hindered in their planning of actions. This would lead to game stagnation.

sabel wrote:

11.The computer scanning option is fun and thrilling why not more places with the same option.

Again - because it would imbalance the game towards the human side even more. If you include more computers, they are more easy to get to. One less chance for the Host to use their location as an advantage.

sabel wrote:

12. Words like 'Player' and 'Character' are more clear than sometimes 'User'

Parasite Signal
This single use device allows a character to lure ... of the user's choice...

In the instant you are mentioning, the word "user" is, to my knowledge, used once, and nowhere else in the entire rules. It is, however, quite clear, as the lone sentence speaks of "single use" and subsequently "user" is correct, and on its own less confusing than character or player. However, if you insist, "player" would be correct...

sabel wrote:

13. Also for the same above card would be less confusing if ...select a room with parasites and move all parasites up to 2 connected by doors rooms away no matter direction.

I have to admit I do not understand your sentence, or your idea here.
But the explanation in the survival kit rules is really quite concise:
a) select a room
b) move all parasites to another room, maximum two spaces away
I am not clear as to how the doors will be of any consideration to this movement. But I guess that this question has already arisen somewhere else, and there is an answer I am not aware of...

Sabel, you have posted several ideas how to make the game "better". Please, keep in mind that in this case "better" is a very subjective idea, as many of your suggestions would greatly imbalance the game, or change the gameplay altogether (as you yourself state several times).
Therefore, these changes are not ones that will make a new edition better, but will create a different game. Maybe one that you will like better - but what about the players that like it fine the way it is?

Please keep these things in mind. There is nothing wrong with creating fan-based expansions or changes (if they are cleared with publisher and designer), I guess. But apart from that, such changes are plain illogical...

...sorry to say that...

I have not quoted your third point, as that is actually a quite decent idea!!! This is a change that probably could (and should) be implemented in a new printing, as it would (as you rightly claim) greatly enhance visibility of said symbols!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Really good and constructive reply, I agree in nearly every way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, this thread is redundant - now that the OP has deleted its post. Come on - really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.