Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

It's late and I'm tired, so this won't be long.

I have been playing Shadow of Dawn for the last hour and have been having a blast. This simple, 60 give or take card game is very tight. There is no fat, nothing to be trimmed. You are an adventurer on a mission to save the village. You know exactly what you have to do, you just have to go out and do it. Simple, right? Not really.

In this game the cards in your hand are your life points and also the cards you need to defeat monsters with and to move from location to location, so with a very simple mechanic, it becames difficult to do everything, which is great, because it makes you think: "Should I move to the next location, get rid of a card, risk the chance of meeting a monster on the road and have to fight it, thus using more cards, to get to a location I want to get an item that will eventually help me in my quest or do I heal up first, but if I heal up, I am wasting time (there are only 9 game turns in the the game and if you rest you are wasting one of your days). The way the game works is you try to do the maximum amount of stuff in the day-turns you are given, rest, fill up your hand, and then be on your way.

It's been enojoyable to play, and I haven't even completed myfirst game yet. I can't believe someone is not making money off of this. Crazy. It's fun. I printed it of on regular paper, put my old crappy Magic Cards I don't use anymore and put them into sleeves and it's basically like having a real set of cards. Plus the color and artwork are wonderful as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a great game. Glad you found it, and are enjoying it. I haven't played in a while, but every now and then I play a game or three.

I think the main reason money isn't being made here is because it's a solo game. It's hard to find enough solo players to really build a 'market' for games like this. When you have a party game, and play it with ten people, two ofthem likely go out and buy it. That doesn't happen with solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and don't forget u can play it online too with Vassal!

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Island_Of_D_2:_The_Shadow_of_Dawn cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone played the other games in the series? The a island of D which looks like you have to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Island Of D, and really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you pay for it? Seems like the only way you can get it is to buy directly from the designer's website, which I would love to do, to support this guy, but don't know if anyone has bought one recently from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, just to let you know, Zombie in My Pocket was the first Print and Play game I downloaded. Tons of fun. Easy to print and learn. (I have just recently discovered Print and Play and have been looking around like mad for great PNP games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Did you pay for it? Seems like the only way you can get it is to buy directly from the designer's website, which I would love to do, to support this guy, but don't know if anyone has bought one recently from him.
Island of D is a free print and play game. Adventure of D is the one you can buy. I did buy a copy, but gave it to a friend, and then never got to play it. It got a solid review from Tom Vasel, though.
patton55 wrote:
Oh, just to let you know, Zombie in My Pocket was the first Print and Play game I downloaded. Tons of fun. Easy to print and learn. (I have just recently discovered Print and Play and have been looking around like mad for great PNP games).
Glad to hear it. There are a lot of great PnP games out there. Check out Micropul, Free Trader, and Pocket Civ. Those were some of the first that I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.