Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We abandoned a game last night - rare for us.

I was the Federation, and got 3VPs on my first turn (two for easy encounters, one for a mission).

The Klingons got the Tribble encounter and another encounter which knocked a different ship down to Yellow Alert.

I got another 3 VPs on my second turn (two easy missions and an encounter).

The Klingons then got the Supernova encounter and had one ship blown back into the command post and one to just outside it (Supernova three hexes from your command post - not good). They then got the encounter where you have to do a systems test on every single system and they failed two of them.

We hadn't played in a while and so it was a refresher game with a 10VP target. We gave up after two rounds as the Klingons were completely scr*wed over by the encounter deck and my next turn was going to get me at least 2VPs due to some very nice Mission draws.

Doesn't happen often I know. It was actually pretty funny (for me devil). We tend to play to slightly higher than the recommended 10VPs to mitigate the encounter/location luck element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i haven't seen anything quite that bad but a number of our games have mostly been decided by luck of the draw, be it on encounters, command cards, or just simply drawing favorable missions; we've been less enthused about pulling this out lately because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had only one game - and that 4 players - but I'd have to say, that I wouldn't throw a good game away because of this. Each game that has random elements included in its mechanics is prone to that kind of situation coming up now and then. If you wanna avoid that or any other kind of randomness, go play chess

Of course you can have a bad time and get angry with the game and the mechanics, but then you might just have to houserule some things or be bigger than the universe. We had a black hole, another mean space location (can't remember which one out of hand) directly in front of the second FED outpost, and managed after some fleet bashing to come to a draw (we had to wrap up things due to time comtraints at 9 VP each, playing a shorted test-version with only 10 VP as total target).

So don't give up, even when you're wide behind your opponent. There's a nice write up here at these boards, telling how small mistakes can bring the game into balance again.

I'd hate to see you letting go of a high quality and well themed game over this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
refresher game with a 10VP target.

How many VP do you usually play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a shortened 10-VP 4-player game with new players due to time contraints. Everything fell in place for the Federation, and the Klingons got continually hosed by encounters and bad mission draws. The Feds won 10-3.

That being said, when we talked through the game, the Klingons were set up to get 3-4 VP on their next turn, and 2 more the turn after. So we surmised it was more the shortened game target that caused the lopsided victory. If we had played to the recommended 16 VP, the game should have evened out.

Regardless, Cut is right. With so many random elements, sometimes the elements will align just right for one player/team. So far, I've had more nail-biters than blowouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game where I was the Klingons and I drew 3 small ships and 1, 5 pointer iirc (10 pts.) which allowed me only one combat mission. It ended up being pretty close, but the Federation finally blew most of my fleet away for the win. It seemed pretty uncharacteristic for the series, but we had fun anyway and despite the role reversal, it felt pretty Star Trek-y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last game only lasted 4 turns. It was the first time that we'd ever drafted similar fleets (4 ships, including one of size 5, for each of us; usually it's 5 little ships against 2 or 3 big ships, with the small fleet of big ships winning). This last game was similar to the OP's, except with the Klingons getting the easy win.

She went first and scored 3 points on encounters before using her first action. I only found one encounter, and it was Tribbles (which I luckily was able to get rid of via "The Prime Directive"). 3-0 after turn 1. Then she scored 3 more points on encounters, again without using any actions, and used a 4th encounter ("Unstable wormhole") to get within striking distance of my ships. I completed a couple of easy science missions and put Odo on a ship. She played Duras to get rid of Odo, scored another 3 points via an encouter and a mission, and got her biggest ship within striking distance. I completed a couple of missions, including a tricky one worth 3 VPs (for beaming up an away team that my opponent got to put on a planet of her choice). Then she attacked two of my ships to complete a mission, self-destructing one of hers to do uncouterable damage. She put 2 of my ships in yellow alert, and put the score at 12 to 6. I only managed to score 2 points off of missions on my "last chance" turn, to bring the final score to 12-8.

We've agreed that 10-point games are too short (usually 4-5 turns) and usually decided by some lucky encounters, so we'll probably play to 20 VPs in the future, but stick with 10 (or maybe 12) points worth of ships ("size"). That way, we should be able to play for 8-10 turns... which might make it worthwhile to build starbases and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what happens in the dangerous place called space. If you were flying through the universe in real life, it would be even more likely that you would get blown up in a very short amount of time, considering all the unknown dangers out there. Very similar, actually, to the luck factor in Fleet Captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, we still love the game. A longer game with a higher vp target mitigates the effect. We normally play to 12 and I seem to remember we tried a 14 (all 2p games). This was a slightly freak occurrence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet Captains is all about the stories created during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
Fleet Captains is all about the stories created during play.

I completely agree. But it can be frustrating when you feel like you're just getting started and your opponent reaches 10 VPs without making any meaningful decisions. Or when the game takes longer to set up than to play. It doesn't always happen with Fleet Captains, but it can. And while one response is "Let's play again", it might also be nice to find ways to decrease variance between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
That's what happens in the dangerous place called space. If you were flying through the universe in real life, it would be even more likely that you would get blown up in a very short amount of time, considering all the unknown dangers out there. Very similar, actually, to the luck factor in Fleet Captains.

All well and good, but if I wanted something that random, I would buy a space themed deck of 52 cards, cut once each for high card and save $100 and an hour of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

All well and good, but if I wanted something that random, I would buy a space themed deck of 52 cards, cut once each for high card and save $100 and an hour of my life.

Well ameritrash games like this one have a large factor of luck and randomness in it. While you can develop winning strategies in this game, they might be destroyed by bad draws. I like to think it makes the game more fun. I'll go play a euro game if I want to win on skill alone.

Like others have said in the thread, the story that you make while playing is really where the game shines!

That and the neat ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
MrSumOne wrote:

Or, play Star Fluxx.

We play a lot of euros and after a particularly thinky one, a game like Fleet Captains is fun. Setup time and number of rules are a slight downside for something that is a lighter game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.