Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning on finding out how much it would cost to have 6 acrylic sheaths built for the player boards, with spaces router-ed into the acrylic to slot in the cubes, discs, techs etc.

I forgot to grab a player board on my way to work this morning. Could someone please tell me the outside dimensions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I'll be following this closely. I just purchased all the materials to make new player boards out of cardboard, with all the correct indentations, this weekend.

Edit: Surely some helpful soul will provide, but you can also get dimensions off of the christmas goodies player board.http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5496950/Eclipse-goodies/Eclipse_xmas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately I use CAD everyday, so I can design it myself, should save money on the production.

Dang, thanks man. I forgot about the xmas board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I asked some companies for the costs last week because I'd like to get some shaped acrylic boards, too.

Unfortunately one board would cost about 15-25 €. For 6 boards I would have to pay 90 to 150 € and actually I don't want to spend more money for the player boards than for the whole game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, did that cost include design as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be willing to post the CAD files for the rest of us once you are done? Have you thought about doing it by laser so there would be a heat polished effect in the recesses?

Awesome project!!!

Kingsix wrote:
Fortunately I use CAD everyday, so I can design it myself, should save money on the production.

Dang, thanks man. I forgot about the xmas board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kingsix wrote:
Yikes, did that cost include design as well?

No, I would have to provide the design by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If there would be a way to get the cost down, I'd be in for a set. This is the kind of thing that's really needed at the gaming table, but I can't justify spending more than a couple of bucks per sheet. Otherwise I'll just end up getting them laminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will post the quotes I get back. If I actually complete the file, I will post the CAD up for you all as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again if someone could get me the actual dimensions of the outside of the board I would appreciate it, the xmas one is a bit off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting 26cm x 35cm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so as someone posted here before, this project in its entirety is just way too costly.
The quote came in saying 10-20 Cents (Canadian) per linear inch of cutting. My initial calculation on the length of cutting, accounting only for the board perimeter, ship blueprints, tech tiles, inf disc, pop cubes and rep tiles came in at then between 26-52 dollars per sheet, and it would require 12 sheets.
Too expensive, sorry everyone, case closed. Time to figure out another way.

I think I want to take a look at making replacement boards with separate parts, like a population cube track, a blueprint board etc. My playing surface is not conducive to large sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris cymru
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'm from Alberta as well and would love to know how much and from where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet laser-cutting would be more cost-effective.

I bet Litko could do it for under $20 per sheet.

Here's a sheet about half the size, for $12.

I had a custom order for some tiles earlier this year, and they basically told me that I could put any design I wanted to on them and be charged the same price; it's basically a cost for the materials only as far as I can tell, and the cutting doesn't seem to cost them anything extra [since the laser is arbitrarily precise].

Seems you could also save a lot, if you're paying by the inch, by just leaving large open areas for the techs and reputation tiles rather than cutting out each individual shape [what it sounds like you're proposing]. You really only would need the cutouts for the things that are easy to bump: cubes and discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the place that I got my quote from was a laser place, and your are partially right about leaving open areas. the problem is that you don't really save enough. If cutting the shape of the board out was not included then it might have been feasible.

Edit: I emailed the guy back to confirm that the cutting of the outside shape needed to be done as well. The outside shape would be $60-120

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Could you find out how much it costs to only have sheets for the cubes section? That is IMHO the most vulnerable (if that's the word) part of the sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Allen
Australia
Thornton
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game last night and we had this exact same idea, though I was thinking of doing it using reprinted copies of the player boards and card stock and cutting everything by hand. On copy of the player board mounted to the cardboard with the appropriate holes cut in it and one behind the cardboard to provide the backing for the holes. The problem with my idea was that I'd need to make up 12 of these things (one for each race).

Acrylic sheets was my next idea and Litko was my first though too. Has anybody tried contacting them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you cut the individual sheets by yourself and polish the edges yourself (not hard, I did it in highschool, many years ago), this could be feasible.

Kingsix wrote:
So the place that I got my quote from was a laser place, and your are partially right about leaving open areas. the problem is that you don't really save enough. If cutting the shape of the board out was not included then it might have been feasible.

Edit: I emailed the guy back to confirm that the cutting of the outside shape needed to be done as well. The outside shape would be $60-120

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rktboy wrote:
On copy of the player board mounted to the cardboard with the appropriate holes cut in it and one behind the cardboard to provide the backing for the holes. The problem with my idea was that I'd need to make up 12 of these things (one for each race).

You can reduce this to six, if you just cut out the disks and cubes parts as some kind of overlay for the bottom of the board..

If it is cardboard, a chisel in the right size could reduce the work per cube a lot and than there are those hollow punchs you need in the right size for the disks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to crunch some numbers tonight, but I have a concept for these, that would be a lot cheaper than laser cut acrylic.

I plan on prototyping it up in the next couple nights, and getting some costs around.

I'll update ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
I need to crunch some numbers tonight, but I have a concept for these, that would be a lot cheaper than laser cut acrylic.

I plan on prototyping it up in the next couple nights, and getting some costs around.

I'll update ASAP.

You better pull through or its off with your head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first try for a customised player board.
Made of cardboard and a color copy of an original player board.
Not perfect (and very long to cut) but useful and less expensive than a plexi !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. What did you use for the square punch? Or did you cut all 33 by hand??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
Wow. What did you use for the square punch? Or did you cut all 33 by hand??

I don't know what he used, but I know there is a razor blade punch that is approximately that exact length (not a square, just a line). I got it from Hobby Lobby (in a pack with other blades) and used it when I was attempting to make a device to just place the cubes..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
jgilmour wrote:

I'll update ASAP.

You better pull through or its off with your head! ;)

Worked on the prototypes today at work. And they failed. Kinda. I got one or two almost done, but then they broke. They looked awesome up until they broke though.

I need to look into new materials, and having them milled. I will hopefully have some idea by the end of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.