Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's something I have wondered about from time to time but did little to pursue.

Now I have created a simple graph (so that's still doing very little, really) to make the relationship visible.

You're looking at data I captured 1/6/2012, which means lists of both the Top 100 Ranked games and the Top 100 Owned games.

Some Notes:

-- What you can see (and count for yourself) is that only 36 of the Top 100 Ranked appear within the Top 100 Owned.

-- Of the Top 100 Owned, 14 were expansions so they have no ranking (and don't appear on the graph).

-- I kept the Rank scale to only the Top 350 in order maintain useful visibility for the data points. This limits the display to only 70 games.

-- raising the scale to 1,000 would only add 9 more games.

-- another 2 games are ranked near 2,000

- the remainder are ranked 4271, 5502, 6109, 7473 and 7638 (and that final one happens to be Monopoly. It's the worst ranked among the 100 most owned)

see also
Are you a BGG sheep? [Poll]
which finally motivated me to create the graph.

Even so, this may not be the first time it's been done. I didn't really bother to look but it wouldn't surprise me that curious minds have been here before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Top 100 Owned

Top 100 Ranked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I adusted the Rank scale to demonstrate the games that were left out of the previous graph.

BGG Ownership
Rank Rank
440 Bang! 32
460 HeroQuest 99
519 Saboteur 81
690 Guillotine 51
693 Scotland Yard 78
774 Backgammon 93
818 Axis & Allies 90
822 Scrabble 17
927 Apples to Apples 47
1980 Stratego 80
2007 Munchkin 23
4271 Fluxx 79
5502 Clue 72
6109 Risk 16
7473 UNO 68
7638 Monopoly 40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nice picture of the concept that what is popular and sellable is not often what is best. Malcolm Gladwell did a TED talk that talked about dunkin donuts deciding how to make their coffee taste.

When asked what they wanted, people would reply with coffee buzzwords like bold flavor, bitterness, pungent aroma, etc. but when it came to what they preferred to taste, it was more akin to doughnut in a cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Donks
Netherlands
Sprang-Capelle
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always nice to see statistics and lists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.