Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be nice mix of Up Front and Ambush at an operational scale. But still on the fence.

Anyone dare to compare level of simulation in FoF and the PC game, Combat Mission: Battle for Normandie? Levels of fog of war and command?

Here is a link to Armchair General episode II. I feel this gives a good insight in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHm6FDh1738

Magazine feature:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-nor...

You may also want to watch episode I.
A demo is avail at BattleFont homepage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the scale is not called "operational". You command three platoons, broken into squads, for one mission of about a day/ night in each game. The missions are connected to a campaign, but you just take your experience with you and track losses versus replacements. There is no long-term target to go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Truly Apples to Oranges.

CMBN is great. I've played the Combat Mission series since before it was publicly released and have stuck with it for these many years.

FoF is great as well, but they do VERY different things.

The concepts are coming closer together, but only because you're beginning to see command and control as well as suppression affect CMBN in a bigger way.

That said, the things you can do in CMBN far outstrip what you can do in FoF. However, FoF presents you with tactical puzzles and follows small unit command field manuals MUCH closer than what you're going to find in CMBN.

There is no LOD, Phase Lines, casualty Collection, etc. in CMBN.

To some degree they both offer deep and rewarding experiences, but I think you'll find it hard to give feature for feature comparisons. In particular the affect of armor on the battlefield...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should watch the videos someone put up here. They show an example game from setup until experience point spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the CM series fairly well, and wanted it as a reference for design effects in FoF. Even Apples and Oranges have something in common (fruit, growing on trees).

In CM you can give as many orders as you want, in FoF they are limited. Probably have the same effect as CM running in real time. In CM you can interrupt chain of command and order can be executed without delay. FoF is doing a better simulation?

Anyway - thank you Keith for comments, close enough to what I wanted.

Andreas, I have watched the videos, but I wanted some deeper info than just rules. Thanks anyway!

Still on the fence on this one. Playing solitaire "normal" wargames and Hornet Leader is on my table as the special solitaire wargame at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.