Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Wrightsman
United States
Greenfield
INDIANA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I'd jump on here to make some aware of this Kickstarter game and to ask if there is a particular reason it's numbers are lagging.

I've backed other Kickstarter games that didn't end up "doing it" for me. But reading about OOPS and watching the video got me a lot more excited about this one. Now we're down to the final hours and it looks like it might fall short. Can anyone offer a reason why? Is there a problem I don't see?

Just asking. Check it out and pledge if you're interested. I'd love to play this game sometime soon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/268844631/order-of-profe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tayree wrote:
Now we're down to the final hours and it looks like it might fall short. Can anyone offer a reason why? Is there a problem I don't see?

I've bought about ten games (board and RPG) from KickStarter, and I thought about pledging for OOPS, but I didn't like the card design or the artwork at all. The game sounds like something I'd be interested in, but I couldn't get over what I perceive as low production quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
I've bought about ten games (board and RPG) from KickStarter, and I thought about pledging for OOPS, but I didn't like the card design or the artwork at all. The game sounds like something I'd be interested in, but I couldn't get over what I perceive as low production quality.

Totally agree. I love the game concept, but the art totally turned me off. In particular the "hardwood floor" backgrounds and the rather boring dice spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my opinion - and it's made with all due respect, because I believe these are designer compatriots who are geographically close to me -

Three things are (maybe?) holding this project back:

1) The KS goal seems awfully high for the publication content package... as someone researching this stuff myself, I'm PAINFULLY aware of manufacturing costs, but this price tag may already consign people to think OOPs will be a goal failure, and thus not back it.

2) The art - it's been said before, but I think the graphic art presented isn't refined enough for professional sale. This will obviously affect some opinions and potential backers.

3) The theme and presentation may be too cartoony and goofy for the high goal that's been set... that's not saying the game might sell if it hits publication, but perhaps the pool of available KS backers isn't deep enough to support a cartoony, goofy theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few observations and suggestions, since you asked.

Project page doesn't start with a game overview; it starts with images. No explanation of how to win the game, unless it's buried in one of the videos. I watched most of the first video (which may have been the second video -- the video mentioned a setup video, which I didn't see). No mention was given of how the decisions were being made in the first video; the players silently put their cubes in place without comment.

Game looks blah. I know it's probably a prototype, but it seems like more people would be interested if the prototype looked better.

Game appears to be some sort of magic competition, but players are buying victory points. Very abstract. Seems like it might be a cross between a sports game and a eurogame. But it has no spatial aspect, which is odd (to me) for a sports game.

For some reason, the word cube is used instead of die. Any reason for this?

The link to the BGG page for the game is low on the page. Either the link should be higher up or (preferably) the Kickstarter page should have all the relevant information present so people don't need to go to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
$45 is a lot to ask for when the game appears to have only okay board art. That is about how much I pay for games that have lots of positive reviews, a designer I am familiar with, friends who already recommend the game, great art and component quality, etc. It's hard to spend that much nearly blindly, particularly when one of the few things you can see in a kickstarter project (the art) is not up to par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Mendel
United States
westminster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with some of the other posters.

I thught the asking prices for the levels were too high. and I didnt think the graphic design and artwork were not good enough yet.

I seriously considered backing it, but ultimately decided no to.

Gantrell
"KMG365"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The forums for the game have several threads where people express their concerns. This thread seems to be the most active. Seems to boil down to concerns about the art, mostly, and theme.

For my part, I am hoping that the designer will take all of the well-intentioned feedback that was offered, rework the game/art, and try again. There was a lot of genuine interest; it just seemed that a lot of people, like me, felt the product was not quite there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that this would have made it with them getting the ads on the Dice Tower podcast and UndeadViking's review.

Personally, this game didn't interest me and I'm ALWAYS over the new hotness.

I think they should have invested some more time/money into the production of it. Like others have said, the floorboards background is pretty bad. The whole setup seems like something that might have been a mock up.

I recall watching UV's video and thinking to myself that they must have used one of the default textures in some image program for the background.

If they invest in a gfx designer to re-imagine it, it would probably do better in a second go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it does fai, what happens. I know backers get thier money back, but can the designers resubmit?

I would love to see a second attempt with better design, It isn't so much the art per se, just that the game seems to missing something.
I came very close to supporting this, and could see supporting an improved design.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I became interested in OOPS when I saw that it was linked to Island Fortress in the recently contest cross-promoting the two games.

For background, I've been excited about Island Fortress for a while - it's designed by a friend of mine, but beyond that it has awesome art and you can really get a sense of how the game plays from the video. Bryan (the designer of Island Fortress) was also very clear that the art you see in the video is prototypical and the official art that goes along with it gives you a sense of the quality to expect.

OOPS, on the other hand, didn't really give me any of that. After watching the video, I still felt like I had a limited idea of what gameplay would be like and what to expect from a finished package, leaving me to expect what I was shown, which is not something I would want. I also couldn't pick anything out that would make me choose to play OOPS over my dice-placement game of choice, Alien Frontiers. My interest was piqued but unfortunately they weren't able to hold it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to buy games based on good reviews from people who seem to share my gaming tastes, or because I've tried it and liked it.

Every Kickstarter game has to overcome having neither of these two things, PLUS the feeling that it may not be a "real game" and is just some piece of junk made by a guy who doesn't have real design skills.

OOPS doesn't clear these hurdles. PLUS the art is bad. PLUS the price is high. I hadn't really thought about it being a potential failure to meet the goal, but I suppose that's another risk.

The video is slow and a bit painful to watch. I stuck it out anyway, wanting to give it a chance. At no point did it tell me anything useful about how the game is played, any interesting mechanics, or how to win it.

Scrolling down now I see more videos. Can I afford to spend another hour watching these and hoping they're well done and present something worthy? Nope, the boat has sailed, too little chance of getting a return on my time investment at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
If it does fai, what happens. I know backers get thier money back, but can the designers resubmit?

Kickstarter doesn't collect funds from supporters until the project succeeds, so if this fails, you just get an email saying that it failed. When a campaign is re-launched (as I saw with Venture Forth), the folks putting the campaign together tend to shoot a message to the original supporters inviting them back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
I am however very interested in Omen which is sadly struggling as well. I think it is struggling though because they made the same stupid mistake of not explaining enough of the game in their video as well as the fact that they made the donation levels very confusing.

No kidding! Just checked out the page to see what you meant...a box with some cards?? Cards with no box?? Also, what the frick are "pc desktops"?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:

The backers don't get charged unless the game makes its goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mannie Germain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was 100% the artwork and graphic design. The gameplay and theme both look cool but they really have to ditch the current artist and art direction and go with someone that can produce a professional looking product.

Great looking game design. Terrible looking game. I just couldn't support it in its current form when forcing them to restart and rethink the graphics could yield a product that is so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason is people might not have the money right now to spend on games since it is just after Christmas and people will have holiday bills to pay. I know I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this as a potentially good thing. Having anything and everything get passed and meet their goals doesn't help growth. By all accounts, the reviews that have played it have been relatively favorable and it could be a good game to get out there.

However, this shows that there are issues, namely the theme and presentation. If it succeeds but barely, the game will get made as is and some people will be happy and I'm sure the designers will feel good.

If it fails, though, that gives the designers some time to examine why and how they could make it better. It's like a movie pitch or book draft not getting the stamp the first time through. The core looks solid. Going through and re-examing and tweaking and improving and giving it another shot could make this go from 'OK' to "WOW!" Failure to reach a goal isn't a failure of a game maker or a person. Having a pitch succeed just because it feels good to have a project get money isn't really beneficial in the end.

In summary, I hope the designers take the good out of it if it doesn't make it and come back with a second attempt that's refined and tweaked! Many great games took a while to get published and went through sweeping changes that made them much better in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It generated a lot of dough. I looked at it yesterday and thought the fantasy/realty gimmick was cute but ultimately passed. As for why the project as a whole failed? The 15k seemed awful high. I like the fire chief image but the board and cards were meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Mayers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kickstarter is losing a little of its hotness for many backers or prospective backers.

If this game had showed up a few months back I have no doubt thst it would have been a wild success because there weren't that many options on Kickstarter and everyone was looking to get in anything. That's not the case today. A backer can find many different places to spend their money.

Plus there is something to be said for the growing feeling that many of the games on Kickstarter just aren't as good as they could be. Poor quality control, less than ideal amounts of playtesting, unrealistic pricing expectations, etc.

Btw, has anyone backed a game, received it and then saw it on sale for *less* than you paid to back it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't actually heard about it until this thread. I had a look at the project, saw the artwork and did not like it and I do not like the card design. It's as simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Also, what the frick are "pc desktops"?????

Artwork sized to fit a computer monitor, so you can use it as the background on your computer. At least, that's the usage I'm familiar with. It gets used as a donation perk in webcomics fairly often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Why ON EARTH are people concerned about the ark work? It's a game, for crying out loud, not a painting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
Why ON EARTH are people concerned about the ark work? It's a game, for crying out loud, not a painting!

A game is a sensory experience.

Yes, gameplay is important.

But playing with pretty things is satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buckley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art was the initial turnoff for me as well. But the more I looked into it, the more I realized I just couldn't justify the pricing level to myself. For $45, I would rather put it in to Exile Sun (base game, expansion, and exclusive KS cards), Omen (base game, expansion, and exclusive KS cards) or even Island Fortress, which I also think had slightly high tiers but I loved the artwork coming out of that game so took the plunge anyway.

I do hope the designer takes the constructive criticisms to heart, goes back to the drawing board with it, and uses it to polish up a new KS campaign with a refined product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.