Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG updated with some Rex news.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2973

While I'm still skeptical about the board, the art is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that board is ugly as sin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I saw that they mentioned mechanized units. I wonder if this means that they are adopting piece from Twilight Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That art is gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M0DEM wrote:
I saw that they mentioned mechanized units. I wonder if this means that they are adopting piece from Twilight Imperium.

It's just an alternate term for the Sardaukar units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is also back at the "At the Printer" status on the "upcoming" page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
Well, it doesn't look like a Dune clone to me.

It does to me. They've just renamed everything. Spice is now Influence. The worms are now the Sol dreadnought fleet. Etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Tretiak wrote:
Well, it doesn't look like a Dune clone to me.

It does to me. They've just renamed everything. Spice is now Influence. The worms are now the Sol dreadnought fleet. Etc etc.

Why come on here to gripe and moan? Hasn't that been done enough?

We are here to be EXCITED about this game coming out, and it would be nice if one thread for this game didn't have haters in it.

I think it looks amazing, and can't wait to get my hands on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

*sees avatar*
*hits the S key as fast as he can*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cannon
United States
Marion
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board isn't anything like I expected (A giant map of Mecatol Rex) but this works too. And the artwork is amazing!
I can't wait for this to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! I'm very glad to see it moving forward again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

You mean "On The Boat." It's on the boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

Oh, look, 20 minutes later, and now it's "On the Boat".

Edit: Sniped by Kobold!
But it was really "At the Printer" when I posted earlier. I guess it was printed really fast
It was still "In Development" yesterday (yes, I check daily).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels weird to read an article with all the name switches from Dune. And the map surprised me first, but I guess you could also abstract the original Dune map into such a grid. I wonder though if and how they could associate the very critical Nexus phase with the Dreadnought retheme.

Definitely not a hater though, the jury is still open on this one, I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
milhouse46 wrote:
I wonder though if and how they could associate the very critical Nexus phase with the Dreadnought retheme.

What is the Nexus phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milhouse46 wrote:
It feels weird to read an article with all the name switches from Dune. And the map surprised me first, but I guess you could also abstract the original Dune map into such a grid.

If I get free time, I'll try to compare the maps to see if that's what they did. At first glance, though, I don't see anything like the sectors from the old map. That implies some significant changes in the "storm" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Meunier
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
What is the Nexus phase?

whenever you get a worm card from the spice deck, two things happen:

1. Anyone standing where the last spice card was (that isn't Fremen) gets eaten by the worm. Any Fremen standing there immediately ride it to any space on the map.

2. all players immediately open negotiations over alliances. This is the only way alliances are formed or dissolved. There are only 6 worms in the deck, and there's no guarantee that they'll all come up before the game ends, so you could very possibly end up stuck in cement shoes if you choose poorly.

So, we know that the Storm is the Sol fleet. the question is: What is the Worm?

EDIT: another big thing I almost missed: Mechanized troops do not have a conditional weakness. In dune, Imperial Sardaukar lose their bonus against Fremen units. That's a straight up nerf to Fremen/Sol and a buff to Imperials. Now, consider that the Fremen were the weakest faction in the game and Imperials were the second-strongest faction (frequently tied, since Emperor/Harkonnen is the strongest alliance in the game). This does not bode well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
milhouse46 wrote:
I wonder though if and how they could associate the very critical Nexus phase with the Dreadnought retheme.

What is the Nexus phase?

Every time a Shai-hulud appears instead of a regular spice explosion card, a Nexus phase happens. This is when you can create and break alliances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sadinotna wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
What is the Nexus phase?

whenever you get a worm card from the spice deck, two things happen:

1. Anyone standing where the last spice card was (that isn't Fremen) gets eaten by the worm. Any Fremen standing there immediately ride it to any space on the map.

2. all players immediately open negotiations over alliances. This is the only way alliances are formed or dissolved. There are only 6 worms in the deck, and there's no guarantee that they'll all come up before the game ends, so you could very possibly end up stuck in cement shoes if you choose poorly.

So, we know that the Storm is the Sol fleet. the question is: What is the Worm?

Haha, totally beat me to it with a way better answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
milhouse46 wrote:

What is the Nexus phase?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe the Nexus phase signifies the end of a round, during which the sandworm comes destroying troops (alternatively, the Freman can ride it), a spiceblow occurs, and players are given the opportunity to make and break alliances.

My guess would be that perhaps it represents the Sol fleet bombing and landing in a specific zone, giving the Sol player an opportunity to load into the ships and transport troops to a new location. In addition, the landing of the bombarding fleet would give the races a reprieve from bombings, briefly allowing them to coordinate alliances and influence zones to come back online. Just a guess though.

*Edit* Also beaten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that with the low quality picture of the board that was posted in the update, it looks waaay too much like Arkham Horror. But, all the art on the cards looks great, so I'm hoping when we get some better pictures of it, it will look much more like the proper science-fiction ecumenopolis it's supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
If I get free time, I'll try to compare the maps to see if that's what they did.

For starters, there's only 28 territories on the Rex map as opposed to the 42 that Dune had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
If I get free time, I'll try to compare the maps to see if that's what they did.

For starters, there's only 28 territories on the Rex map as opposed to the 42 that Dune had.

Were all 42 territories in Dune relevant all the time, or did Dune tend to revolve more around a subset of those leaving the other territories largely empty and unused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Were all 42 territories in Dune relevant all the time, or did Dune tend to revolve more around a subset of those leaving the other territories largely empty and unused?

In a typical game of Dune, most territories at a particular time will be empty. Focus on them will spur when spice appears in a territory, but it's not like a typical game where conflicts will happen all around the map. Most of the action is done in and around the 5 keeps, which are the places you need to hold to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.