Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you buy 8 techs of one type? Also, neutron bombs with just missiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game last night, one player wanted to buy an eighth tech of the same type, but the player sheets have room for only seven techs. I assume there's no bar to purchasing an 8th? And no further VP value in doing so, either?

Also, a player defeated all my ships in a system but had only missiles (no cannons) on her remaining ships. She did have the Neutron Bombs tech. Can she obliterate all my population in that case? We thought she could, since the bombs presumably don't ride on cannons.

We had a wonderful, fun, roller-coaster game of it last night. It was our third play. We're loving it!

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
You can't purchase the 8th tech of a given type! (Or the 7th, for the Holiday special race that starts with a unique tech)

Neutron Bombs don't rely on cannons, so you played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's posted somewhere, but you can NOT purchase an 8th tech.

And yes, with the Neutron Bombs, she can destroy your population cubes (although that could be a small variant for the plasma missile complainers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. You're limited to the spaces on your tech track so you can only ever have 7 of each type of tech, meaning that in any given game there's at least one you'll have to skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, we played the tech limitation wrong, then. I'm actually glad to hear it. I like the idea that you have to forego one tech per "tech type" each game. I like games with lots of decisions and tradeoffs.

We'll stick with the official rule on neutron bombs on missile ships, for now. Last night's game was our first with missiles. They did turn the tide for my kid, who decimated my fleet with missiles and seized the Galactic Central from me. But I could have done a lot more to counter her growing threat, so I'm not yet prepared to adopt any house rule for us on missiles. (I know this subject has been discussed at length here already, so perhaps I'll stop there!)

Anyway, thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Levty
msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, with the regards to attacking population, you can't use missles to do it. All that neutron bombs do is make your dice hit automatically, but you still can only attack population with cannons. Check the rulebook on page 20.

This limits the usefulness of all-missle fleets when somebody is on the offensive, they have to make sure that they'll have enough cannons to destroy the population if they're counting on concquering the hex they're invading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Levty wrote:
All that neutron bombs do is make your dice hit automatically, but you still can only attack population with cannons. Check the rulebook on page 20.

No, that's not how they work.

Rules, page 20, "If you have the Neutron Bombs Technology, you may destroy all the Population Cubes from the hex without rolling any dice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Levty wrote:
Actually, with the regards to attacking population, you can't use missles to do it. All that neutron bombs do is make your dice hit automatically, but you still can only attack population with cannons. Check the rulebook on page 20.

Actually, the missiles make you not require any dice at all, which means you CAN destroy population even if you have no (or too few) dice to roll.

EDIT: Ninjaed :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Levty wrote:

Actually, the missiles make you not require any dice at all, which means you CAN destroy population even if you have no (or too few) dice to roll.

EDIT: Ninjaed :/

Maybe I'm reading this funny but it sounds completely wrong. If you have missiles, and no guns, you can't destroy population. If you have neutron bombs, population automatically die and it doesn't matter what else you have. Upon re-reading it sounds as if you mean neutron bombs when you say missiles. Swapping bombs for missiles would make it all sound right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Levty
msg tools
mbmbmb
Doh! Thanks for the clarification guys, seems like I have completely misread this rule. It would also mean that my group have played the game wrong (or unintentionally houseruled) but I have to admit that this little change does stop invaders from creating missle-only fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

And yes, with the Neutron Bombs, she can destroy your population cubes (although that could be a small variant for the plasma missile complainers).

Can someone find this in a FAQ or in the rulebook? Where does it say you cannot buy the 8th tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"By taking the Research action, you may choose one available Technology Tile from the Supply Board, pay its Science cost (move the Storage Marker backwards on the Storage Track) and put the tile on your Player Board on the track of its category (Military, Grid or Nano). For each Technology of that category you already have, you get a discount shown on the leftmost exposed space on the Technology Track."

So let's look at this...if the track is full, there's no "leftmost exposed space" nor is there an empty space on the track in which to place it.

Not to be snarky, but it seems pretty clear to me that when a track's full, it's full. No discount, no extra victory points, no phantom spaces.

And as for the Neutron Bombs,

"After all battles have been resolved, the remaining Ships may attack the population in the hex. Each Ship may attack once with all of its Cannons (Missiles may not be used), using the normal rules to hit. Population is considered not to have any shields. Each point of damage destroys one Population Cube of your choosing. If you have the Neutron Bombs Technology, you may destroy all the Population Cubes from the hex without rolling any dice."

Again, if you don't have Neutron Bombs, you attack with Cannons. If you do, you may destroy all the population. Nowhere does it require one to have cannons + Neutron Bombs to have that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charliechuckleberry wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Can someone find this in a FAQ or in the rulebook? Where does it say you cannot buy the 8th tech?

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8157707#8157707

Some may or may not regard this as official, but considering the source, I'm sure the designer agrees...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Where would you put it? There's no space for the eighth Tech tile on the track, so no, you cannot research it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.