Subject: Armour units overstacking on a breakthrough hex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that exploiting armour may overstack on a breakthrough hex.

How does this apply to the following situation?

A German attack on N25 creates a breakthrough hex, to which one exploiting armour unit moves at the start of the exploitation phase.

A German attack on Brussels (M25) creates a breakthrough hex, to which two exploiting armour units move at the start of the exploitation phase.

Can the exploiting German armour at N25 move from the breakthrough hex at N25 directly to the breakthrough hex at Brussels (such that the Brussels breakthrough hex now contains four armoured units - the original armour unit that advanced into Brussels after ground combat to create it as a breakthrough hex; the two armoured units adjacent to the armour that originally attacked Brussels; and the armour unit that moved from N25 to Brussels in it's exploitation movement?

The breakthrough hex at Brussels is indeed "overstacked" but is the overstacking part caused by the N25 exploiting armour a legal part of the overstack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure I can 'rigorously prove' it via the RaW, however, if I understand the question correct I would say no it is not allowed.

As I understand it, units 'exploiting' via that specific attack are allowed to 'advance' onto the breakthrough hex created by that combat. They are then free to move off, or stay on that breakthrough hex even if overstacked. However, I do not read the breakthrough rules as providing a sort of 'carte blanche' suspension of the stacking limits. There is perhaps some question regarding the 'stacking limit' as it applies to armour not directly related to that specific breakthrough. However, I would say at most, if one non-exploiting unit advanced into the breakthrough hex, then one might argue that one more armour unit, not exploiting that specific breakthrough, could move in (during exploitation movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kenny,

I suspected it was not legal, but I wanted to air the issue before enabling a German "protective umbrella" over Belgium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't see a problem of exploiting thru the hex (not that I can fathom a good reason why), but I agree with Ken: it's a "no".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jersey Guys
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
My reading of rule 14.37 would indicate that it would not be possible, specifically this phrase: ''units that move off the Breakthrough hex may not be overstacked at the end of Exploitation movement.''

So a unit that is on Breakthrough hex A could not move two hexes and end its movement overstacked on Breakthrough hex B (or any other hex for that matter). The unit can only be overstacked at the end of the exploitation movement phase if it remains on Breakthrough hex A (and note that after casualties, post-Combat advance and SRs the Breakthrough hex couldn't remain overstacked).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.