Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually haven't played this solo yet, but from what I hear it is not easy. I will certainly give it a try, but thought of a variant that might be worthwhile:

Instead of flipping a hero, take all the copies of your highest cost Ally card from your deck and set them aside as "the prisoner". Once they are rescued, place 1 on top of your deck and shuffle the others back into your deck.

If you have multiple allies with the same cost, randomly select one of them as the prisoner.

Not having tried it, I'd be surprised if this makes it too easy. Maybe just slightly easier. Although I suppose to game it people could just put 1 Beorn in there.

Hmmm....after I get into this Quest I'll try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkon Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make sure that the ally chosen is a bit punishing for the deck, simply decree that it is Gandalf if he is in the deck, or most expensive ally if the deck does not have any copies of Gandalf.

Still not sure how this will be with regards to difficulty, but generally speaking, I think Gandalf is the ally that will be most sorely missed in any deck.

Of course, having the Nazgul capture Gandalf might not sit right with the more thematically inclined people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Play as per usual rules and start with Gandalf on the table. Do not use his response effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anybody ever tried another solo variant that no hero is captured in the beginning (consider that he's already freed) but Nazgul is already in staging area ?

i think it'll still be a difficult scenario but still playable as solo and remove the randomized element at the start so we can still play it multi-sphere ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
i think that the scenario is becoming more feasible in solo mode as we see more cards. The Asfaloth basically allows you to quest without questing, and the new Glorfindel is ultra-low threat. I'm sure a formula can be arrived at soon which will see this scenario put in its place.

Another idea for a variant:

Instead of laying out all three objective cards, only lay two, and place the remaining one on top of the encounter deck. this will give you three cards to deal with on the first turn, rather than four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem is the only way to play it probably by using a single sphere, because the randomized captured hero in the beginning which probably make you ended up with dead cards early, and not to mention if you're unlucky to draw Caught In A Web, so basically you only have 1 hero

I guess the luck factor is too high on playing that solo, but I'm curious whether anyone has a deck setup and strategy that he'll be able to win at least 7 out of 10 times ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.