Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for useful routines for recording my plays. I'm way too in deep to even consider backdating my plays. But I was hoping to start from this day forward.

Is it worth it? Do other users not record plays and regret it.

Just curious how important it really is to folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Donks
Netherlands
Sprang-Capelle
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should record your plays. It doesn't take that much time to do. Personally I use my recorded plays to see how may times I played a game in the past and with who I played it. When I make a new gamedate with my friends, and I choose the games I want to bring along, I can easily see whether if I played that game with those friens before or not. But ofcourse, you're free to make your own decisions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BGG App for Android (http://bit.ly/wb2kOB) to record plays right after the game is finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting to see what I've played over a given time period. However, if it feels like a chore to enter this data then it's probably not worth it.

It becomes a habit though, and it's easy enough to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it, use the data, and totally wish I'd started earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to see what games are getting plays in my collection, it easy to think that you havent played a game a lot then you look at your plays and see exactly when you last got it off the shelf. It can be quite illuminating and quite acary at the same time. The amount of money I have spent on games that have only had a couple of plays is alarming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really regret not starting earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as one who wished I would have started at the beginning. I enjoy seeing my patterns in the games being played.

It brings hard cold facts to that "splurge buy" you "just had to have..." and it is now a year and a half later it has been played once.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a NEW year so this is the perfect time to start. I also enjoy seeing not only what I played but how many different games I got to play in a month.

Just go for it and see how it goes. If you don't enjoy keeping track then just quit doing it. No one else will care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Donks
Netherlands
Sprang-Capelle
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I really regret not starting earlier.

me too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to start recording plays right away when I started playing board games "for real". I already have three years of plays logged and it is very rewarding to back and see how things have developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
brerfrog wrote:
I use the BGG App for Android (http://bit.ly/wb2kOB) to record plays right after the game is finished.

Does that app let you record offline and sync yet?

I downloaded it but without that sort of functionality it's next to useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started recording them since the start of my BGG registration and am glad I did. I like to see trends, history, and even went back and added some plays I in the past where I remember or could find emails/pics of what I had played. This wasn't much, just a few more dates, but nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten S
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started recording my plays but I usually only record the fact that I have played, not the names of the people I played with

Steps necessary to report a four player game:

1. Search for game
2. Click into the plays area
3. Click more
4. Enter statistics (date, location etc)
5. click add player
6. enter my name and username (can that not default to my current user?)
7. click add player
8. enter second player name and details
7. click add player
8. enter third player name and details
7. click add player
8. enter forth player name and details
9. click submit

It is very cumbersome to enter the names of the poeple all the time. There are maybe 20-30 people I play with and I wish there was an easy way to select them when recording a play. e.g. when I play with one of my friends, I usually also play with his brother and my wife.

I think the first player should always default to me (tick the win-box as well )
For the other resources I'd like to have a functionality similar to the gmail web interface. When using gmail to send an email to a somebody, gmail suggest me other recipients that I have added when emailing that person before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am perfectly happy never having recorded a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I have recorded plays and glad I started as soon as I found BGG. I'm a bit odd in that I record plays as the number of times a game "hits the table", regardless of how many times a game is actually played at one sitting. (Otherwise, 5-minute games that are played repeatedly would swamp the stats.) The only time I record multiple plays on the same day is the rare occasion when a game is played early in the day and later again the same day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had stats on how much I'd played games from years ago.

This year I'm trying to be dedicated about logging them, however I am not logging any iPhone plays - just actual "on the table" stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recorded plays before I even discovered the geek - from 2002, which is when I discovered that Cambridge had board gaming clubs, and wanted to start recording all the great new games I was finding! I'm very glad I did, and love analyzing all the data. I'm a mathematician though, and love stats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I record plays for 2 purposes. first to see if I have games I don't play enough, and second, I write down my mistakes or what I did to win. Before I get the game out, I make a quick check of my previous games just as a reminder. Kind of like a very quick session report.
It's really usefull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy looking at what I've played and how much use I've gotten out of games in my collection. Seeing hard numbers on all the games I haven't played enough also helps somewhat reduce the temptation to buy more. Somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.