Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who doesn't like the ship steering mechanic? Sorry if this has been discussed already but my quick search didn't reveal it.

I just hate that it is so luck based. Not that I'm looking for it to be totally realistic, but the problem really came out when we had a mad with current that could switch between "left" and "right" randomly. And then steering is random and our odds of impacting a rock was high. The fact that it leads to TPK I think is too unfair.

Any strategies for dealing with steering? Seems there are no skills or anything to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with you. Generally, rather than being a wondrous craft that sails you to victory, encounters with the Revenge tend to be crawling affairs where you have to try and succeed despite the ship's best efforts to hamper your movement and run aground.

This is excerbated by the fact that the Overlord typically doesn't have to sweat this part. Too many monsters ignore water entirely, and even if the OL does have to steer a ship, the fact that it's not expected to survive the encounter does lend his moves with it a cavalier air that the heroes dare not mimic.

On top of that, cannons are too weak to be a viable course of action, and the ship's railing adds to the frantic number crunching but is not more than a minor effect.

When possible, I give a hero Shark Tattoo and have them spend the entire session in the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.